Fabia VRS oil consumption..........What is acceptable?

Went to Stoke on Friday (loved the M5 traffic jam!), then Glossop then onto Yorkshire and back down to Wiltshire today covering about 500 miles.  Checked the oil and it's in the same position it was when I left.  So, fingers crossed that the spray jets and breather mod has finally cured my oil woes.  Will be keeping my eye on it though.

• Like 3

Did another trip up north to visit family this weekend, checked the oil when I got back last night and it's just under half now on the dip (was at the top of the orange bit when I had the work done).  Looks like it's still using oil but just not as much as before, done about 900 miles since the work was done.  No doubt they'll say it's within tolerance now if I complain!

Just let them know it appears to be using oil so that is clear.

Top up when cold to just above the Cross Hatch and keep a record of how much oil used.

Then stick with cold checks and miles noted, and only top up if you really need to, 

ie if the oil is near the bottom of the crosshatch with a cold dip.

Then you know how much is uses in 1,242 miles before asking them to do an oil consumption test.

• Like 1

Just let them know it appears to be using oil so that is clear.

Top up when cold to just above the Cross Hatch and keep a record of how much oil used.

Then stick with cold checks and miles noted, and only top up if you really need to, 

ie if the oil is near the bottom of the crosshatch with a cold dip.

Then you know how much is uses in 1,242 miles before asking them to do an oil consumption test.

Just done a cold check and the oil was at the top of the cross hatch, is this correct now?

• Like 1

As long as it is up as high as the top of the cross hatch cold you are fine.

So do your check from that starting point, and see how it goes.

It is quite common after a Oil and Filter change that the twinchargers use a bit of oil, then settle down and then use very little.

You have your New Oil Spray Jets, new Oil Filter and Oil, and the Software Update, and Breather Mod,

hopefully now you can enjoy your car.

?

What does the Invoice show as the Oil they put in, or did they tell you,

& is this what you are now carrying to do any top ups with?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Mrs bought hers back in July, private sale after selling her mk1 VRS which was a superb car. The new VRS has previously belonged to another forum member which was the first owner and we bought it from the second owner. I checked the oil after we got the car home and found the oil level to be off the stick completely. Not much of a poster on here I stumbled across the issues on this forum about the high oil consumption that effects new VRS, our car has the later CTHE engine being a 2012 registered car so I've kept a close eye on the oil consumption over the past few months. From the information I've gathered the car has had two oil consumption tests done by both previous owners and passed on both occasions at the same dealership.

Since owning the car I've roughly estimated it was using roughly around 0.5 litres of oil every 500 miles so I booked it in with my local dealership for another test before the 3 year manufacturers warranty expires on the 23rd of this month. We've covered just over 500 miles yesterday evening bringing the total mileage of the car to just over 25k as we dropped the car off for the result of the test today. I had a phone call from the technician around midday to tell me the car had failed the test and is using from his calculations 0.8 litres of oil per 1000km's.

I fairness to our local dealership they have been very good indeed along with the technician in dealing with the issue and the modified breather and oil spray jet has been ordered, I await now a phone call on when the work is to be carried out so fingers crossed this will sort out the high consumption issue. I will let you know how we get on in due course.    

Just a quick update on our car after the warranty work was carried out at our local Skoda dealership, as I stated in my post above the oil spray jets were replaced but I'm not to sure about the modified breather? There was nothing in the information I had to say this was carried out. Since having the car back with us we've since covered around 1100 miles with no signs of oil usage and fingers crossed this will continue. Our dealership (Capital Skoda in Newport, South Wales) have been faultless in the care we've received in sorting out our issues along with replacing the nearside headlight due to condensation. This was all done through Capital with no need to even contact Skoda UK which I've read so many members needing to do unfortunately to fight their case to get the warranty work carried out.  

• Like 1

A CTHE built after mid 2012 should not need Breather mods/ updates. Skoda were already doing the mods on CAVE cars so no car should have had what was the old system fitted. But Australia got Breather update type 1 and then type 2. Vorsprung durch technik. Keep them in the dark and shovel them Sh!te.

A CTHE built after mid 2012 should not need Breather mods/ updates. Skoda were already doing the mods on CAVE cars so no car should have had what was the old system fitted. But Australia got Breather update type 1 and then type 2. Vorsprung durch technik. Keep them in the dark and shovel them Sh!te.

Thanks for the info, the technician did mention it but obviously this is the reason it didn't need doing.  

• 10 months later...

Really interesting thread.

I have always dipped mine (mk 2 Cave) hot as instructed by the manual. The other week I dipped it hot as usual and it was 1/4 way up the dip stick (1/4 full) so I left it. That week I had to drive the fabia to work mon-wed rather than the diesel Astra as it was in for repairs so I was doing 70 miles a day in the fabia. By Tuesday I thought I would check the oil again as I don't normally do long journeys in it and I wasn't sure how much oil it would of used so I thought it would be interesting to check. Dipped it hot again when I got to work (35 mile journey) and it was off the bottom of the dip stick. So since Sunday when I checked it at "1/4 full" it had used all that oil in 3 trips (up and back monday and journey to work Tuesday) which was approx 105 miles.

I put in 750ml of oil in Tuesday when I got to work and that brought the dip stick level to just over 3/4 full. Checked it again when I got home (another 35 miles) and it hadn't moved and the same when I got home On Wednesday (still had not moved).

Thursday I was back in the Astra and have been since which means the fabia has been sat un-used and cold for a week, so after reading on here about the dip stick "lying" and the merits of cold dipping I thought I would give it a go.

Just had a look and oil level is off the top of the dip stick range and onto the the orange plastic just above the cross hatch area.

Don't really understand how, as when oil is hot it expands so it should show more oil when hot and not cold? When hot dipping I would always leave it a few minutes for the oil to go back in the sump so I'm really stumped with this one.

Put 3.6 litres of Engine oil in a pan and mark where it is on the pan and heat it to 110*oC,  it does not expend so you will notice.

Put 3.6 litres of new engine oil in your car and run it then let it sit, 

the level should be at the top of the cross hatch when stone cold or just above.

Start the engine and stop right away.

0.5 litres or so will go to the oil filter and head, dip that.

Later have a run and when the oil is up above 80*oC stop on the level and dip, likely the level is the same as the cold oil, engine started and stopped.

PS

If you have a new oil filter and 3.6 litres of VW 504 00 oil (5w 30 FS Long Life) and you find you are using oil on shorter trips, or even longer, 

maybe start to use 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00) when you do an oil change.

(Put oil in the new filter before fitting it. obviously clean up any mess if there is any.)

Edited by Offski