Game over, Zeus & Cryptolocker,,,,,,,,,

@Lee

I don't think it's actually all that bad. I've only read about it in the general press.

Little bit in the trade stuff - http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2014/06/03/has-cryptolocker-been-cracked-is-gameover-over/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nakedsecurity+%28Naked+Security+-+Sophos%29

Mostly about how the network has been cracked.

Cryptolocker etc has been an embarrassment in the US so they've expended quite a lot of effort into nailing the guys behind it.

Famous last words

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/news-listings/386-two-week-opportunity-for-uk-to-reduce-threat-from-powerful-computer-attack

Basically the FBI etc took down a botnet for Cryptolocker. Tghey expect the network to come back up within two weeks so they are trying to get the masses to have a bit of a clean up while the CnC is out of commission.

When the CnC is running the malware can try to prevent it's removal by reinstalling or mutating. The CnC provides support for the program to do that. So right now it's easier to get rid of if you have it.

• Like 1

I'd add rogue kiler to the list, and buy a saecod Hard drive to save data to . Then take it out and if you get an attack, you just fornat and pee off crytolocker . 

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't infect systems like mine!

My home server is fine then - That's where all my files are stored.

"What, a Mac?  :p"

I've been using Linux since 1993.

In that time not a single Linux system anywhere has ever been the victim of a virus (I know that 'proof of concept' viruses have been produced - they just don't replicate in the real world).

Also, Linux is immune to the 'oops, I clicked on a downloaded file and it wasn't a picture like they said, it was a nasty program'.   In Linux whether a program runs is not down to the extension but to the 'execute' bits being set.  Going all the way back to the early unix days the default is to save files without these set.

I often see Windows users, when trying Linux, complain that they have to specifically change permissions to run downloaded files.  I sit back and relax, content that since Linux is a free implementation of unix - which was designed as a multiuser system from the word go  - security is designed in, not an add on.

Best one is...

"Why do I need to be a Super User to do anything - it's rubbish"

Then I explain why and they usually answer with "Ooohhh.. but do I need to enter a password?"   Erm yep...  you do.  It would kind of defeat the object if you didn't