Autocar pick a new VRS over a used E63 AMG!

In last weeks Autocar (28/05/14) in their new vs old section they compared a new Octavia VRS estate and a Mercedes E63 AMG estate. In their conclusion the VRS won!

In their conclusion they stated: 'The Skoda has just about as much grunt as you'd ever need while being spacious and relatively cheap to run. A true all-rounder.

I love my VRS, but if I could afford the running costs of a 6.2, 518bhp V8 I don't think I could resist!

What a totally stupid comparison......

What garbage. The second anyone compares new with used. It's time to stop reading.

Jeez

Firstly it's a car magazine, not a guide to how to live the perfect life, secondly it's a regular weekly one page feature that's just a bit of fun by comparing a new car with a used car that can be bought for roughly the same money. Thirdly, obviously neither of you buy the magazine, so what's with all of the negativity???

;) ;) ;)

Thirdly, obviously neither of you buy the magazine, so what's with all of the negativity???

;) ;) ;)

Nope because it comes up with crap like this :D

What garbage. The second anyone compares new with used. It's time to stop reading.

This is something which hundreds of millions of car buyers have done at some stage in the past, comparing the benefits of new vs used.

The E63 vs VRS is however most probably not everyone's first or second choice. If it wasn't for the running costs the E63 would be an easy win.

Why is it garbage?  As other have said, this is a choice which many owners face when changing their car.

What may be garbage is comparing totally different types of car, even if they are both new (or both second-hand).

There is not much point in comparing a little 2-seat open sports car with an estate car, for instance.  You buy the first for fun and the second for practcality.  

Lighten up guys - £27k for a VRS is a lot of money and you would be daft not to look at some used options - I've done exactly that. I looked at a used Cayenne!

Lucky they aren't £27k then.  :D

Lighten up guys - £27k for a VRS is a lot of money and you would be daft not to look at some used options - I've done exactly that. I looked at a used Cayenne!

Yet your user info says "Metal Grey VRS Estate on order". I suppose you ended up agreeing with the article. :)

• Like 1

Bit ridiculous....most in the market for a used E63 would be going down that route knowing only too well its going to cost a shed load more to run than a vRS and would have the pockets for it....is a V8 with way more than twice the HP to start with and despite being the older car its still in a completely different league.

Money no object I know what i'd rather have!

Anyone tempted to cancel their order? http://www.dicklovett.co.uk/Dealers/Porsche/Used-Car-Details/Porsche-Cayenne-Crystal_Silver_Metallic-2009-20555702.html I kept the faith with Skoda. My wife wouldn't wear it anyway.

Right decision. That Cayenne has had paint that has not been well done. The nearside front wing is off colour, possibly other panels too.

Let's not forget that the Cayenne is just butt ugly anyway, regardless of botched paint jobs.

Porsches should only have 2 doors and 2 seats.  What next?  Range Rover making a sports car?

Let's not forget that the Cayenne is just butt ugly anyway, regardless of botched paint jobs.

Porsches should only have 2 doors and 2 seats. What next? Range Rover making a sports car?

I dunno.....way better looking than the previous gen model and if someone offered me an S Diesel or even better a Turbo/Turbo S I'd not turn my nose up at one of those......vastly more expensive even used though.