Haldex

Anzio

Stab is the electronic basis of the light duty AWD from my perspective but there are so many variables between specific vehicles it can't be really nailed down IMO.

Oh, well that's cleared that up then.......

Look at it this way, the Xtrail as an example is a light duty FWD which for little more money is instantly an AWD.

Adding RWD isn't very expensive because the basics that reduced unit costs are all there in the FWD with it's programmed electronic controls.

As I said before light duty 4WD/AWD is not that big a deal if you've got ground clearance plus electronic diff locks like they use on track Renaults.

It's all there.

Real 4WDs have solid axles, don't they!?

Look at it this way, the Xtrail as an example is a light duty FWD which for little more money is instantly an AWD.

Adding RWD isn't very expensive because the basics that reduced unit costs are all there in the FWD with it's programmed electronic controls.

As I said before light duty 4WD/AWD is not that big a deal if you've got ground clearance plus electronic diff locks like they use on track Renaults.

It's all there.

Real 4WDs have solid axles, don't they!?

Does an X-Trail use a Haldex or similar system?

There is a lot more to just adding RWD though, as you need a transfer system, such as the Freelander IRD, or the additional drive out of the gearbox that the Yeti needs, plus a different casting for all the different gears, etc.

Track Renaults? 

There are 4x4's that haven't used solid axles. Try the Haflinger range, the Fiat Panda, and some of the biggest 4x4 trucks use a backbone chassis system with fully floating axles.

I was referring to the generic common Asian adaptation of THEIR basic electro mechanicals.

Of course, when unit costs are not a major factor, as in mass marketing, you can build highly specified vehicles for extreme, constant heavy duty work.

But that's not what I was talking about.

It was about light duty mass market vehicle sold in high unit numbers, but now increasingly in FWD format due to high fuel costs in Asia and Europe.