New DVLA vehicle enquiry site

Just seen this Graham. I like it as it's a lot smarter looking. Plus if you want to check mot is valid shows that as well

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

found every reg i put in but says my 309GTi is untaxed but was sorn'd years ago before it went electronic

When was it last taxed? If it was taken off the road before the current system came into force then it won't actually be SORN'd. I've got an old Citroen I last used on the road in 1997 & stored in a relatives barn. There was no SORN in 1997 so it just shows as untaxed.

Just checked my old Skoda Fabia vRS that i p/x just before christmas and it got a new MOT in January 2014 when it wasn't due until March 2014....

There was no SORN in 1997 so it just shows as untaxed.

Earlier this year, my nephew SORN'd his classic mini while he worked away from home.  Two months later he sold it to my sister who stored it in her garage, believing it still SORN'd.

My sister has just tried to un-SORN the car only to be told the original SORN expired with the change of owner.  Thus DVLA records showed her car "untaxed" from the day she bought it.  Since DVLA considered her car "untaxed", it would not issue a new tax disc until my sister had paid arrears for the untaxed period.

My sister has just tried to un-SORN the car only to be told the original SORN expired with the change of owner. Thus DVLA records showed her car "untaxed" from the day she bought it. Since DVLA considered her car "untaxed", it would not issue a new tax disc until my sister had paid arrears for the untaxed period.

I bet that catches a lot of people out and seems very unfair.

• Like 1

Just checked my old Skoda Fabia vRS that i p/x just before christmas and it got a new MOT in January 2014 when it wasn't due until March 2014....

This might be because they sold it in january & put 12 months mot on it as part of the sale. Not many people would buy a car from a dealer with 2 months mot on it.