My first combi L&K

It wouldn't have ended up that nicely with that one :D

Metlovas I'd consider the 18" space saver as you will be less likely to buy new tyre or repair damaged tyre if your spare is like for like as quickly as you may a space saver also you'll save a few kilos;)

I just checked my recess, it looks a bit different to the one ashfan showed

qy8edu2y.jpgyje8upum.jpg

So a bit confused now, probably will take my own wheel off and just try it myself :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I just checked my recess, it looks a bit different to the one ashfan showed qy8edu2y.jpgyje8upum.jpg

So a bit confused now, probably will take my own wheel off and just try it myself :(

That's the best bit of advice yet...and you came up with it yourself.......

a tape measure will solve the issue - just measure the wide and diameter of your current wheel and see if the recess will allow it - looks like it narrows at the bottom to me, so a wider wheel may not sit flush at the bottom.

a tape measure will solve the issue - just measure the wide and diameter of your current wheel and see if the recess will allow it - looks like it narrows at the bottom to me, so a wider wheel may not sit flush at the bottom.

Well yes measure first ;)

Mine has a layer of polystyrene/foam about 30mm thick sitting on top of the metalwork. You should be able to see it in the photos. I can`t see that on your photos metlovas

Mine has a layer of polystyrene/foam about 30mm thick sitting on top of the metalwork. You should be able to see it in the photos. I can`t see that on your photos metlovas

That's what I'm missing there, so how comes you have it, and I haven't? :D

No idea, maybe its supplied if the first buyer specifies a full size spare wheel. Having said that I`m the second owner and the bloke I bought it from had a 16" space saver but he also gave me a damaged but useable full size alloy with a brand new tyre on it. He said it was an insurance replacement for a road damaged alloy.

So maybe the the extra padding is for when a space saver is specified from new.. I`m guessing really because I just don`t know. All I know is my 18" alloy fits perfectly

Lovely car mate, I like the paint, I don't think the brown leather matches though, think it would've been stunning with ivory or either grey had they been options,

Anyway I hope you enjoy your car regardless and it's only an eye of the beholder thing anyway.

Kes, you're now obliged to get your roof box sprayed to match the colour of your car.

Please stop making me google packline, before I end up driving to scandi to go and get one...

And can somebody please tell me why I'm now looking at roof boxes on eBay?

Edited by JakeBlade
  • Like 2

JakeBlade. I did just that (search eBay) when I got my Superb. Having moved from a 7-seater where I could get all our stuff inside the care (including skis) I needed a roofbox and specifically wanted a car/bars/box combination that was below 1.85m in height so as to fit on the double deck Eurotunnel trains. (digression, we always get free priority boarding and free snacks with Eurotunnel with our tour agent and the free snacks are not available in the section that accesses the single deck shuttles reserved for high vehicles).

My searches took over 4 months. I acquired Atera aluminium T slot bars for £60 and a long, narrow and, crucially, low height Mercedes box for £30. The latter was tatty in the extreme, but it sufficed, and later I bought a better one (with some Mercedes bars) for £100. I resold the original box for more than I paid for it, and the redundant Mercedes bars, so all in had a first class set of kit that does exactly what I wanted for <£150.

Why am I banging on about this? If I had bought new, would have had to buy the Whispbars and probably the lowest height Thule box - I think it's the Dynamic 800 - at a total cost of over £600, for a once a year use.

Moral, work out exactly what you want the bars and boxes for and be patient; you'll get a bargain.

• Like 1

Whispbar s44

Packline FX-Suv 210x90x27

uny2eqeq.jpg

ze8a6e6y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome mate, so mine should look good, being 210 x 100 x 42, a bit bigger tho, I was just scared for the length, but as I see it's just perfect :D

Probably with yours I wouldn't be able to use sunroof at all :D, but it looks really really good

But have to think about the colour, cause it comes in black, I guess it'll do fine for first holiday :D, but later it's probably going to get cars colour ;)

And I'd love to get spoiler as well :)

• Like 1

Hi!

I'm sad to tell you that I don't think you will fit a box that is 100 cm wide if you are going to use the Whispbars.

There is not so much space left at the end of the racks with the box on.

In the front my Packline lays a little on top of the holders and it is only 90 cm wide.

gesu7uba.jpg

u2ygevyt.jpg

evabe4u4.jpg

a6e9u6y3.jpg

Hi!

I'm sad to tell you that I don't think you will fit a box that is 100 cm wide if you are going to use the Whispbars.

There is not so much space left at the end of the racks with the box on.

In the front my Packline lays a little on top of the holders and it is only 90 cm wide.

gesu7uba.jpg

u2ygevyt.jpg

evabe4u4.jpg

a6e9u6y3.jpg

I was thinking to go on top of the holders, but I suppose it's not the best thing to do 

I keep seeing these lovely Packline boxes on my frequent trips to Norway and other parts of Scandinavia - they do look fantastic on every car I've seen them on. Even thought about trying to get one and check it in as my luggage but not sure BA are going to like that! 

I have a fairly old frumpy Thule box in the shed that I used a few times many years ago and havent used for a long time. Its there for when we need it but I'm sure it would look fairly boxy by the standards of todays sleeker profile designs. I wonder if you can respray them black instead of the drab Thule grey? My guess is it would be hard to get the paint to key properly and the flex of the lids might crack it in no time - anyone tried?

Hi guys, so my question is, what is the biggest size you could put on whispbars, I suppose width has to be no more then 90cm? And any length up to like 230cm?

Thanks

Kes

Slightly off topic, but might I ask when you ordered your estate and when it was delivered please? I have one on order and it may be tight getting it for my holiday in France. Ordered late April with a prospective delivery date of 21st July....

Cheers

S.

I ordered my L&K on May 4th 2014, I believe its in transit to Ireland now, Expected to be ready for me to pick it up before July 5th.

That's not a bad lead time!  Is the excitement building :)