Best way to deal with building dust?

tigermad

I have had my new car nearly a week now and am loving it. Washed it on Saturday and a few hours after parking near work this morning it is covered in white dust which I assume is coming from a nearby building site.

So after a 4 hour mammoth detailing session I am pretty peed off about this.

I intend to wash the car again at the weekend. Is it safe to use the pressure washer on it? My main concern besides the paintwork scratching from it is the windscreen and windows. I can actually write clean me on the windscreen it is that dusty. What's the best way to remove the dust? (even though it will be covered again tomorrow).

Thanks for the replies. What the best way to clean the windscreen off tonight, I have fast glass with me and a glass cloth. Shall I just use the wipers and windscreen wash first?

If you snow foam first, the dust will get suspended in the foam and then can be pressure washed off safely

Wow! Snowfoam a dirty car and then rinse. So, I've been doing it the wrong way round all these years...you certainly do `live-n- learn`

Thanks for the replies. What the best way to clean the windscreen off tonight, I have fast glass with me and a glass cloth. Shall I just use the wipers and windscreen wash first?

No..you run the risk of scratching your screen

Spray liberally with Fast glass and wipe before using your wipers

Sorry to hijack a little, getting a lance tomorrow.

Do I rince first with open hose, foam then pressure wash the foam off?

I just foam then pressure wash off. Others pressure wash first then foam. Person preference I think.

Well, waste of time me asking about my windscreen, didn't realise the auto wipers were on going home. Started to spit and they turned on. So quickly sprayed the window with screenwash. Pity you can't tell if the wipers are on auto since there's no markings on the levers. Hopefully no damage done.

Blinking dust is all over the place again. I have reported it to the environmental health, you only have to go out of work for 2 minutes and you come back in with a sore throat.

Murphys law this happens a few days after getting a new car. The car is going to look like its 40 years old by the end of the week. No point keep washing it every day since the building works are probably going to go on for years yet. They are demolishing loads of massive buildings to build a waste conversion site. Hope there is no asbestos there .....

Nightmare!!

Can you not park anywhere else?

No parkings a pain where I work. All the cars in the local area are covered. Spoke to the council today and someone already complained about it and it's gone to the hse.

Blinking dust is all over the place again. I have reported it to the environmental health, you only have to go out of work for 2 minutes and you come back in with a sore throat.

Murphys law this happens a few days after getting a new car. The car is going to look like its 40 years old by the end of the week. No point keep washing it every day since the building works are probably going to go on for years yet. They are demolishing loads of massive buildings to build a waste conversion site. Hope there is no asbestos there .....

Don't worry about it

Your nose hairs and the lining of your throat do a great job of filtering dirty air (Y)

On the subject of dust however - I like to clean my car regularly and keep it looking in good nick, however I have just finished re gravelling the driveway at work (it is about three hundred yards long), so imagine the amount of dust being created, with this recent dry hot weather, by sixty tonnes of gravel ... Fun fun fun.

Sandy coloured bogies for sure.

JRJG

• 1 month later...

They have the jack hammers out today and my lovely clean car has been ruined in a matter of hours. See below a pic of the amount of dust in one morning along the windscreen. The whole car is completely covered. Dunno what the car will look like after a week of parking there but I have no choice. It is where I work :0/

post-31523-0-87285500-1406116288_thumb.jpg

post-31523-0-44430800-1406116395_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigermad

This is getting beyond a joke now. Cleaned my windows off carefully again yesterday and today the car is covered again. Does anyone know who I can report this to? My work colleagues are all peed off that their cars are a mess too. We are all sitting at work with sore throats.

• Like 1