fabia vrs 1.9tdi turbo lag?

Had the car just about a year now, its a 55 plate fabia vrs. very impressed with it performance wise. as far as im aware its been re-mapped to approx. 170bhp. however just recently ive noticed theres quite a lag beginning on the turbo. now to anyone else that drives it they say its normal which is fair enough because im sure a bit of lag is normal on these cras, however because ive been driving it for a year its more apparent to me. it still kicks in about 1500 rpm but seems to take forever, a lot longer than what it used to. also become quite noisy aswell, especially just on idle or when revving it. is there something wrong with the turbo or does this sound normal? is there any sort of modifications I can do to reduce the lag on the turbo? any comments appreciated thankyou!

Allot of cars will be really dead and gutless till the turbo is spinning up. Thats really low spool up rpm.

No point I booting at 1500 rpm as it will just put excessive stress on parts and cause vibration and noice.

I think its the fact that you are now used to the car. So it won't seem as fast anynore

A boost leak could cause something like what you're describing, especially if it's something that's only recently become apparent.

Check your turbo hoses are all connected properly.

Give them a good tug as they can look like they're fine, but once pressurised start opening up at the joints.

nope, not excessive amount of smoke as far as I can see, I cant see the back of it when im driving it though :p haha 

Yeah check for boost leaks would be my first port of call any more smoke then normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do allot of short journeys and use allot of power low down in rev range you could have clogged the engine up abit.

a tank of good fuel and some fuel additive then give it a good hard high revving run down dual carriageway or motorway would help to clean it out and give you some ponies back

Probably the vnt mech sticking a bit reducing power low down. I'd have a look at doing the Mr muscle clean :)

You say it smokes a lot too due to the map? That super awesome cool unburnt fuel is most likely the carbon that's clogging the vnt mechanism.

If you do allot of short journeys and use allot of power low down in rev range you could have clogged the engine up abit.

a tank of good fuel and some fuel additive then give it a good hard high revving run down dual carriageway or motorway would help to clean it out and give you some ponies back

I only ever do long journeys in her! she gets about 40 miles a day :)

My money is on your turbo vnt/veins sticking too. i had the same thing recently. The best way to find out would be a wide open throttle test using vcds. If you've got vcds lite and a little knowhow with exel it's pretty easy to make a boost pressure graph. May show if you have a boost leak too

But if you need to clean the vnt I would recommend the innotec cleaning kit over Mr muscle, it is a little more expensive though

Hope this helps

Inlet manifold. Exhaust system (cat) . egr. Anything that has exhaust gasses running around with rhw soott diesel particles

But as its doing long journeys it wont be that 

inlet manifold and exhaust don't get clogged up!

The inlet manifold can get a bit rank with carbon from the egr but the chances of a blockage in either the inlet or exhaust are slim to none.

I would check the air filter as a first step and for boost leals too

The inlet manifold can get a bit rank with carbon from the egr but the chances of a blockage in either the inlet or exhaust are slim to none.

I would check the air filter as a first step and for boost leals too

Cats do block and partially block as vehicles get older. Seen it in vehicles many times. And if you take off your inlet manifold on a higher millage car and look in the branches you will be surprised just how much oil and soot can restrict the passage. As for a vehicle being noicey. There are numerous types of different noices a car can make to show signs of not running right.. But not getting into another forum argument :/

Oil pluss soot mixes together to form a tgick sludge that builds up layer after layer. At no point did I say blocked inlet manifold. The smaller the hole the aor can pass through. The harder it is to get the same volume of air to pass through. The less air in cylinder. The less bang. And so on.

This is off a 70.000 mile car

20131223_151514_zps7mhuwzn8.jpg

remove either breather or egr and you will take away oil or spot and so stop this happening

anyways back to subject. What type of noice is your car making

Edited by fletch101

i just took my inlet manifold off along with head for some work covered 90k and it was spotless

Then it's been cleaned previously. Never have I taken a inlet manifold off a car with an egr valve attached that runs through it and it's been "spotless"

My vrs manifold with exactly 90,000 was removed recently and took two days sitting in a parts washer to clean up.