Anywhere I can buy a space saver spare wheel + tyre?

Skoda will do a Spare wheel kit which includes the wheel and any foam inserts required for it to fit as one purchase.

It will be noticably more expensive than the spare wheel option on a new car when ordering though.

Any idea how much roughly? They wrongly supplied a full spare on my car, but I was planning to keep it and just source a cheap space saver to use in the car, rahter than ask them to swap it for me.

Any idea how much roughly? They wrongly supplied a full spare on my car, but I was planning to keep it and just source a cheap space saver to use in the car, rahter than ask them to swap it for me.

What car is it?  The only space saver they do for the Octavia is an 18" one and if you have a vRS and it came with anyone else then your dealer should be dealing with it as a misbuild.

If you really want a narrow space saver then it would be much cheaper to source your own wheel, there's nothing special to them, they are just a normal rim in a narrower size.  The vrs one is iirc 185 wide still, so not that narrow.  I don't know but suspect anything narrower might be breaking some rules as Skoda probably got tuv approval ( or something like that) for the one size. However, be sensible and stick to less then 50 mph and don't go too far and I doubt you would have any trouble with something narrower.  So, try a few scrap yards and look for a16" (or17" for a vRS) rim, 4 or 5 inches wide, 5 bolt 112pcd and 57.1 mm spigot (or larger and get a shim/adapter too).  Then find a part worn tyre to fit it and give the same overall outside diameter (or close) as your road wheels. There are tyre size calculators on line if you need them.

The vrs one is iirc 185 wide still, so not that narrow.  I don't know but suspect anything narrower might be breaking some rules as Skoda probably got tuv approval ( or something like that) for the one size.

Just checked mine and its a 125/70 R18.

Ah there you go then, a 4 to 5 inch wide rim and a 125 mm wide tyre.  The proper road wheels for the vrs are 7.5 inch and 51mm offset. If you get a 125mm wide tyre you'll have quite a range of offsets that would fit fine... Anything from 0 to 100  (  100 offset on a 125 wide rim would be an odd looking rim!)

If you really want a narrow space saver then it would be much cheaper to source your own wheel, there's nothing special to them, they are just a normal rim in a narrower size.  The vrs one is iirc 185 wide still, so not that narrow.  I don't know but suspect anything narrower might be breaking some rules as Skoda probably got tuv approval ( or something like that) for the one size. However, be sensible and stick to less then 50 mph and don't go too far and I doubt you would have any trouble with something narrower.  So, try a few scrap yards and look for a16" (or17" for a vRS) rim, 4 or 5 inches wide, 5 bolt 112pcd and 57.1 mm spigot (or larger and get a shim/adapter too).  Then find a part worn tyre to fit it and give the same overall outside diameter (or close) as your road wheels. There are tyre size calculators on line if you need them.

I'm not really into tyres but kind of get your drift. The current tyres are:- Continental

205/55 r 16 v

The wheel is 17" across and the tyres measure approx 220 mm wide

The space saver will be around 185mm you say - can anyone confirm or even better a pic of one in situ in the boot?

I see the full tyres for sale for around £70 so I'd be willing to pay probably that and a bit more for a space saver + tyre combo, considering I'll get a full spare. The scrappie idea sounds like it could be worth pursuing.

OK the numbers on the tyre are width (in mm) / height or profile ( as a % of the width). So your tyres are 205mm wide and 205x0.55=113mm tall. The r16 is the rim radius in inches ( so check your tape measure! Your wheels agree 16" not 17"). So the rolling radius is (16/2 x 25.4) + 113=203+113=316mm

The v is the speed rating. For a space saver you'll be sticking to 50 mph so did worry too much about that.

As Neily pointed out the Skoda space saver is a 125 mm wide tyre.  So look for a 16 inch 4 4.5 or 5J rim. That's it's width in inches.  And look for a 125/90 r16 tyre . That will be the same overall rolling diameter.

If you find the right rim as a steel rim (you probably will) I'd guess it would be about £30.  You should get a part worn tyre for about the same,  a tenner to fit and balance.

Does that make sense to you?

OK the numbers on the tyre are width (in mm) / height or profile ( as a % of the width). So your tyres are 205mm wide and 205x0.55=113mm tall. The r16 is the rim radius in inches ( so check your tape measure! Your wheels agree 16" not 17"). So the rolling radius is (16/2 x 25.4) + 113=203+113=316mm

The v is the speed rating. For a space saver you'll be sticking to 50 mph so did worry too much about that.

As Neily pointed out the Skoda space saver is a 125 mm wide tyre.  So look for a 16 inch 4 4.5 or 5J rim. That's it's width in inches.  And look for a 125/90 r16 tyre . That will be the same overall rolling diameter.

If you find the right rim as a steel rim (you probably will) I'd guess it would be about £30.  You should get a part worn tyre for about the same,  a tenner to fit and balance.

Does that make sense to you?

Perfectly, thanks Neil. I'm in Ireland so prices possibly a bit higher but sounds like it's still worth doing. I take it you are a fan of space savers? A lot don't appear to be but for me they make sense.

Your dealer should to a kit. I got 1 for my mk2 and it was £110 IIRC, but that included the foam to stop in bouncing around in tne wheel well, jack and wheelbrace. Make sure you tell them which model you have as at the end on the mk2 run skoda were including 16" spares in vRS's which wouldn't fit over the calipers on the front!

Your dealer should to a kit. I got 1 for my mk2 and it was £110 IIRC, but that included the foam to stop in bouncing around in tne wheel well, jack and wheelbrace. Make sure you tell them which model you have as at the end on the mk2 run skoda were including 16" spares in vRS's which wouldn't fit over the calipers on the front!

My mkII 2011 vRS had an 16" steel spare that fitted fine on front...... Are you saying there was a different 16" one available?

My mkII 2011 vRS had an 16" steel spare that fitted fine on front...... Are you saying there was a different 16" one available?

sorry finger trouble on my part while tipping! The ones that didn't fit were15"

• Like 1

I may be missing the point here but you have a full size spare wheel which wont restrict the speed you use it at.

Why on earth would you want a space saver as the space you save is very small and has very limited use.

The space saver was designed to fit cars were a full size spare wont fit.

Edited by ruffday

Perfectly, thanks Neil. I'm in Ireland so prices possibly a bit higher but sounds like it's still worth doing. I take it you are a fan of space savers? A lot don't appear to be but for me they make sense.

No I think they are bad for my motoring which is mainly long motorway journeys and often late at night, I don't want any restriction on speed or distance. But I can see if someone does mostly short journeys around or close to town then the inconvenience of a ss  is less, or even the pump and aerosol of tyre sealant can serve. Not for me and my motoring though.

The octy boot is big enough so the extra space gained is not that useful. You will save a few kg. Think 1kg saves ~1 litre of juice every 1000km. So a average annual mileage you may save about £50 on fuel.... So the ss pays for itself in a year or 2.  I'll stick with a full size spare though. In fact since the vrs only gets a as, I sorted a full size spare myself ( hence knowing the wheel sizes etc). I got a used alloy 18" rim from a seat Leon fr for £60.

The space saver was designed to fit cars were a full size spare wont fit.

But these days manufacturers use it as a way to cut weight and fuel consumption which gets lower co2 emissions and hence cheaper car tax. This makes the cars more appealing on paper. Its a bit of a con really.

But these days manufacturers use it as a way to cut weight and fuel consumption which gets lower co2 emissions and hence cheaper car tax. This makes the cars more appealing on paper. Its a bit of a con really.

It's not really though, as it's things like this that reduce CO2 and therefore road fund license so that's why I only have to pay £30 for my car, even though I have the spare wheel option. :)

Think I've changed my mind and what I will probably do is ask the dealer to swap the big wheel for a space saver. ok I will give back the big tyre(£70) but won't have to buy a space saver + tyre (70ish also) but also I won't have to find shed space for storing the big tyre/wheel until it's needed.

To those who are against the space saver - to me, any extra space is useful, no matter how small (I carry spare cycle rims and they will fit in there perfectly rather than rattling around in the boot).

Also I can't remember the last time I got a puncture; it's a bit like carrying around a shovel all the time just in case it snows

Think I've changed my mind and what I will probably do is ask the dealer to swap the big wheel for a space saver. ok I will give back the big tyre(£70) but won't have to buy a space saver + tyre (70ish also) but also I won't have to find shed space for storing the big tyre/wheel until it's needed.

To those who are against the space saver - to me, any extra space is useful, no matter how small (I carry spare cycle rims and they will fit in there perfectly rather than rattling around in the boot).

Also I can't remember the last time I got a puncture; it's a bit like carrying around a shovel all the time just in case it snows

What car have you got? There is no space saver for any octavia other than the vRS, if yours isn't a vRS then the correct wheel has been supplied for your car, the dealer won't swap it for a vRS space saver.

Mmmm this could be a game changer. Car is standard Octavia Estate. I did ask him when orfdering the car and later when it was being built and he said no problem.

Wonder why it's only on the VRS - did I read somewhere that the standard option was just a can of spray with no wheel at all?

Just checked the configurator on skoda.co.uk and the space saver is there as an option (£75) for the Octavia SE

That's what you've got, the "space saver" for all models except the vRS is a normal 16" steel wheel, it's still classed as a space saver as it's not necessarily the same size as the road wheels.  The vRS gets an 18" as the 16" won't fit over the front brakes.

As standard you get a can of foam and no spare.

So to sum up you've got exactly what you ordered.

• Like 1

That's what you've got, the "space saver" for all models except the vRS is a normal 16" steel wheel, it's still classed as a space saver as it's not necessarily the same size as the road wheels.  The vRS gets an 18" as the 16" won't fit over the front brakes.

As standard you get a can of foam and no spare.

So to sum up you've got exactly what you ordered.

Even more confused now; on the configurator it displays the option of space saver or full wheel. If you select space saver it says "This equipment isn't compatibile with your other choices so far".

Which isn't helpful - why display the option if it isn't applicable to the car you've picked?

Also when I picked up the car I said to the dealer that the wheel was wrong and he said he would get it changed for a space saver. Methinks he'll be getting a call today....