VRS MPG only please

29k miles at 40.2 MPG based on 97 RON fuel purchased and miles covered - happy with that.

Be interested to see how it work with the full 98 Octane fuel ie Tescos Momentum or Shell Nitro.

As above I always found Momentum OK to us and Nitro not quite worth the extra several pence a litre even though it could give another few tenths of MPG or HP or two.

What does it show on the Average MPG if you re-set it after about 10 miles, the oil is up to temp and you are driving at 60mph or so?

This was the other week with a CAVE in Limp Mode and sticking to under 60mph as the Turbo was inhibited.

Same as is possible when the car is running right through 60 mph average speed cameras.

Brimmed before setting the mileometer & driving and after 50 miles it took less than 4 litres it brim it.

45-50 MPG should be possible driving steady at 60mph, and 37-42 mpg as long term economy.

30 mpg or so with short journeys is pretty usual.

post-86161-0-56467400-1478344959_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-37548100-1478344981_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-27019100-1478345002_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

I'm getting poor mpg with my new engine. Around 30mpg. I've done 1000+ miles now since the engine was replaced. Using Tesco 99 momentum.

Short journeys are no good for most internal combustion engines and despite being only 1400cc it is quite a lump of motor and those first 5 to 10 miles it is probably only doing about 30 mpg,  and so the really good mpg, which can be over 50 mpg, only comes after the initial warm up phase.

If I was doing a city journey I tended not to use Fabia VRS but grabbed one of the kids 1 litre to 1.2 litre Naturally Aspirated engines as they warmed up quicker and achieved their book figure for MPG much easier.

Also would do quite a lot of coasting in neutral down long hills and combined with venting the tank before a long journey ie Scotland and back, one could get 600 miles and well over 50 mpg out of the little jem.

• Like 1

Be interested to see how it work with the full 98 Octane fuel ie Tescos Momentum or Shell Nitro.

As above I always found Momentum OK to us and Nitro not quite worth the extra several pence a litre even though it could give another few tenths of MPG or HP or two.

To be honest, since I don't live anywhere near a Tesco superstore and Shell is outrageously expensive I have only ever put in either Shell or Tesco on about half a dozen occasions and I can't say that I ever noticed any difference. I have heard/read suggestions somewhere that it takes a few tankfuls for the ECU to adjust to a change from 97 RON to 99 RON or back so I stick with 97 RON which is available almost everywhere.

I agree that there is a massive difference between MPG on short and long journeys. 50 MPH average speed check driving on Motorways gives good results but I have never seen an indicated 50 MPG and the MFD exaggerates anyhow. Other than approaching red lights, I never coast in neutral and I never tailgate since it infuriates me when people do it to me - usually in 50 MPH average speed check sections!

Love the car, love the MPG figure.

Getting a tow slip streaming is far from tailgating.

Actually you are far enough back that someone tailgating you might jump into the space left.

As for several tanks for the ECU to adjust, actually as soon as the fuel starts flowing through from the tank with the higher octane the ECU knows pretty soon after.

If the is say 40 mile range left with 99 ron in and you put in 102 ron you will know withing 20 miles if you are paying attention or using a Dynamic Dyno to confirm the difference.

• Like 1

To be honest, since I don't live anywhere near a Tesco superstore and Shell is outrageously expensive I have only ever put in either Shell or Tesco on about half a dozen occasions and I can't say that I ever noticed any difference. I have heard/read suggestions somewhere that it takes a few tankfuls for the ECU to adjust to a change from 97 RON to 99 RON or back so I stick with 97 RON which is available almost everywhere.

I agree that there is a massive difference between MPG on short and long journeys. 50 MPH average speed check driving on Motorways gives good results but I have never seen an indicated 50 MPG and the MFD exaggerates anyhow. Other than approaching red lights, I never coast in neutral and I never tailgate since it infuriates me when people do it to me - usually in 50 MPH average speed check sections!

Love the car, love the MPG figure.

Being at the back of the low pressure area behind another vehicle is quite away ie tens of meters.

Coasting is what the latest DSG boxes do anyways. The fabia Vrs is the previous decade's technology and slipping in to coast is just manually doing what the later DSG boxes do automatically.

Cannot forgive vw-skoda for not offering the 192 hp 1.8 tsi in the mark 3. Hence and am migrating to Renault who do offer a hot hatch and proper value offering as Skoda did 5 plus years ago.

Edited by lol-lol

Just been to Blackpool for the weekend and going down nice and steady saw me achieve 45mpg on the way back I only managed 40mpg but I was pressing on a bit more as I just wanted to get home lol.

Just been to Blackpool for the weekend and going down nice and steady saw me achieve 45mpg on the way back I only managed 40mpg but I was pressing on a bit more as I just wanted to get home lol.

The Fabia VRS has the aerodynamic of a outside loo and therefore is affected by wind direction and speed mucho. Amazed how the fabia vrs would only incrementally accelerate when it reached 125 ish where the petrol octavia vrs just keeps accelerating 130 140 and onwards.

When the wind was strong looked for the fast transit type van to sit behind and see the realtime consumption rise by 5 mpg plus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting poor mpg with my new engine. Around 30mpg. I've done 1000+ miles now since the engine was replaced. Using Tesco 99 momentum.

Well I am Cave+ original engine with all the Engine fixes, now my fuel consumption has definitely increased. Oil problem is solved but at the expense of Fuel it seems. I am using Tesco Momemtum. I might switch back to Shell Nitro. I have had hardly put my foot down lately and still doing short trips everywhere. Oil Temp is not getting above 70 with casual 30-40mph driving even after 15 minutes. Maybe this is because its not using OIL. Less Oil = higher oil temp? Full Oil = Lower temp??

I put a full tank in and my range is 280 Miles (40 Litres) = 30-32 Miles per Gallon

Edited by Kobayashi

Have you got that 5w 40 (vw502 00) in yet?

Winter time, getting up to temp takes time, and if cold enough might not be even in 20 miles.

Run a Twincharger in cold weather and it should love it once the Oil is up to heat.

I can go 100's of miles on a journey in winter (freezing or there abouts) up to 70 mph and the oil is never up to 90*oC.

Often just at 80*oc or so.

PS

A Stage 1 remap helps as well if you are just driving the car at NSL's, 

better MPG can be achieved.  Well if you concentrate,.

PPS

A full tank is more like 50 litres if Brimming it,

& the range will only show high if you were getting high RANGE, if the AVERAGE MPG in the 40's as it is working it out.

(If you vent the tank it and have about 55 litres in that extra gallon or more does not alter the RANGE.)

Edited by Offski

Mine still got 5w-30 Long life put in by the dealer (same stuff as when on oil consumption test), its not used a drop of oil.

I was planning on putting 5w-40 in when the oil light comes on. This could be service next year at this rate! (4000 miles per year)

How much things have changed for me regarding Oil usage & the squirter fixes.

Anyway back to fuel i am getting the stage 1 end of next week. 

Might be imagination but the car did feel more powerful (Pre fixes) when using shell nitro 99+ and castrol edge 5w-30.

Will stick with the Tesco momentum for Stage 1 Dyno run, and will judge once had the stage 1 next week. 

Edited by Kobayashi

If it's a new engine, I think you will get lower MPG. I didn't start to see optimum MPG figures until I'd done well over 30,000 miles in my Fabia.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done the North Coast 500 over the past 3 days.

Just over 700 miles of 'NSL's and some fun and 34 mpg indicated, was more like 37 mpg when done brim to brim..

Plenty windscreen wash needed but no oil on a 6 /1/2 year old CAVE, Stage 1 with 66,000 miles now.

post-86161-0-50457100-1483456745_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-26849600-1483456766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Offski

I have done the North Coast 500 over the past 3 days.

Just over 700 miles of 'NSL's and some fun and 34 mpg indicated, was more like 37 mpg when done brim to brim..

Plenty windscreen wash needed but no oil on a 6 /1/2 year old CAVE, Stage 1 with 66,000 miles now.

Were you parked at the green welly yesterday lunch time? 15 plate?

• Like 1

Not guilty of anything....

, 2 x Red 10 Plates.    1 used to reside in Hamilton.

ah ok i seen a red 15 plate one there yesterday lunch time didnt think i would see a vrs on a plate that late.

Don't see many fabia vrs's round here in fact the only one i see is a guy that works at morrison's

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Nearly 50,000 miles and still 40.0 MPG based on litres purchased and miles covered.

Over time I have used 97 RON and 99 RON and I can't say that I have noticed any difference in either consumption or performance at all except when I visit my sister-in-law and get Momentum at about the same price I pay for Esso 97 RON locally - not sure why I bother to be honest, just hoping that it will make some imaginary difference.  On a few VERY rare occasions I have been forced to use 95 RON, typically out in the sticks, and to be perfectly honest I can't notice any difference with that either.

• Like 1

Why do you keep paying the 5 pence extra a litre for Tesco Momentum over Tesco 95 ron then.

Greenergy that Produces and Delivers Tesco Momentum 99 also Produces and Delivers the ESSO fuels now, 95 & 97 ron.

Edit,

sorry you use the Esso 97 ron.  Is that not more expensive than Momentum 99, Esso 95 ron is more expensive than Tesco Momentum 99 is it not?

Paying with a Santander 123 Credit card gets you 3 pence in the pound back on fuel, and i get Tesco Reward points using my Clubcard which i double or treble with offers, that covers the extra cost of Super Unleaded.

But then i would never use anything else anyway.  Only £2.25 a tank extra, and no cylinder 3 spark plug issues.

Edited by Offski