VRS MPG only please

Still an overall average of 39.1 MPG.

Short journeys have a major impact but even on a long motorway journey I can't get much above 40.0 MPG.

This is about what Whatcar reckon is the true MPG.  Can be odd though as I did a vented fill and computer showed 275 miles range.  Drove to Liverpool, about 120 miles, forced to do 55 mph due to lots of raodworks but also in no particular hurry. Parked at a suberban hotel and computer said 450 miles range even after covering the 120 miles.  Drove back, again not in a rush and computer still showing 350 miles when back to Worcester, 250 miles covered on that tank.  Impressive.  Do a couple of runs around Worcester, about 10 miles, and now computer shows about 250 miles.  I have done well over 600 miles on a single tankful, you can get around 11.5 gallons in the tank with usage of the expansion tank and give the car around 500 miles even at a fair cruising speed ie around the National limit and 600 miles in a relaxed cruise of around 60 mph indicated ie 54 mpg a per book and using both the main and expansion tank a very respectible range. 

I hope the Clio RS I plan to replace the VRS with can be vented and its book figure of 45 combined and 55 mpg extra urban (and the 0-60 mph of 6.5s) sounds like a fitting replacement as there is no Fabia 3 VRS to replace the Mk2 VRS. 

My MPG figure is based on miles covered (according to the mileage display) and litres purchased.

I don't know how accurate the displayed mileage is although on a long journey it seems correct based on a Garmin GPS.

Likewise, I don't know how accurate petrol station pumps are but I would guess that they must be pretty accurate.

Everything is recorded over almost 11,000 miles and calculated on a spreadsheet so I am reasonably confident that it is accurate.

I tend to drive reasonably fast but rarely speed and don't go in for fierce acceleration - except when overtaking on a busy road.

I believe that the WhatCar and Fuelly figures are probably about right and am amazed that some people manage to get high 40 MPG or even 50+ MPG figures with a VRS.

I have overfilled / vented the tank twice by mistake.

On both occasions I had pulled up with the pump on the far side of the car from the filler flap - I have learned to be more careful now!

I can't really see the point - unless you know of a cheap petrol station and/or are going on a VERY long trip where you can't be sure of filling up.

Could get an average of mid to late 30's mpg out of mine. On good journeys mid to late 40's

Similarly my partner in her current car averages high 30's with similar results on long mixed road trip.

I could quite often achieve ,early 50's when not thrashing the pants off it.

Note ! Mine was a 2010 CAVE, My partner had a 2011 CAVE and now a 2013 CTHE all similar results, So perhaps it's down to driving style.

Smooth but quick, not abrupt (power /brake) .

Edited by vrskeith

My MPG figure is based on miles covered (according to the mileage display) and litres purchased.

I don't know how accurate the displayed mileage is although on a long journey it seems correct based on a Garmin GPS.

Likewise, I don't know how accurate petrol station pumps are but I would guess that they must be pretty accurate.

Everything is recorded over almost 11,000 miles and calculated on a spreadsheet so I am reasonably confident that it is accurate.

I tend to drive reasonably fast but rarely speed and don't go in for fierce acceleration - except when overtaking on a busy road.

I believe that the WhatCar and Fuelly figures are probably about right and am amazed that some people manage to get high 40 MPG or even 50+ MPG figures with a VRS.

I have overfilled / vented the tank twice by mistake.

On both occasions I had pulled up with the pump on the far side of the car from the filler flap - I have learned to be more careful now!

I can't really see the point - unless you know of a cheap petrol station and/or are going on a VERY long trip where you can't be sure of filling up.

Filling the expansion tank is fine as long as you use that extra fuel right away and you do not part in a hot place where expansion takes place that is beyond what the partial filled expansion tank can absorb.

Best MPGs, ie 50 or even 55 MPG, is obtained around the sweet spot of around a genuine 55-60 mph where the rather poor aerodynamics of the Fabia VRS take effect.  The engine is quite effecient in that the Supercharger will have disengaged at low throttle around 2K revs whilst the turbo is working mosgt effeicently dumping very little of its over produced air.

If you combine this with intelligent driving, using the curves and descents to go quick but always just be using a tenth or so of the throttle then good things happen with the MPG.

I do a few things more like free wheeling down the right sorft of inclines ie go in to Neutral and then pop it back to Drive in the bottom of the dip.  Also a bit of slipstreaming if I see the right Transit zooming along at 70 mph, a safe distance of about 30m I reckon.  Suprising how often that ensuring that you do not need to fill up and that saves ten minutes on the journey which you were trying to make up by going quicker.

Miss the Audi A4 1.9 TDI with its 1,000 mile range but the Fabia VRS is more fun and I think the Clio RS will be too.      

Mine's done 92K miles and still turning in great MPG (40-55 MPG unless round town when more like 30 MPG). 

As I have mentioned on many a thread the first 5 miles or so of operating the car the fuel consumption will be about a half of normal ie near book value MPG.  If you journey is 10 miles then you will see about 3/4 of book MPG.

My journeys are typically 125, 150, 175 miles so I get around 90% of book MPG as the 5 miles start up phase represents a small percentage of the overall journey. This will only be solved ie those who do short journeys ie 10, 20, 30 miles, getting near book values when cars become more hybrid.

The internal combustion engine only needs to be 50 hp at most with 150 hp coming from electric.  Like our HTP (and STEC-2) engine you then get super fast warm up and achiving book MPG within about a mile of starting the journey. 

55 MPG is quite remarkable, I doubt that I would ever get anywhere near that.

Early on Sunday I did a (mostly motorway) journey of 285 miles with four adults on board at an MFD reported average speed of 64 MPH.

The display claimed an average MPG of 42.1. My spreadsheet calculated figure was 40 MPG - I am happy with that.

Filling the expansion tank is fine as long as you use that extra fuel right away and you do not part in a hot place where expansion takes place that is beyond what the partial filled expansion tank can absorb.

Best MPGs, ie 50 or even 55 MPG, is obtained around the sweet spot of around a genuine 55-60 mph where the rather poor aerodynamics of the Fabia VRS take effect.  The engine is quite effecient in that the Supercharger will have disengaged at low throttle around 2K revs whilst the turbo is working mosgt effeicently dumping very little of its over produced air.

Small correction, at low revs (but mostly dependant on driver requested duty) the engine works in naturally aspirated mode where bypass valve in the charge system lets all the air past SC and TC. ignition is advanced and AFR is stoichiometric. At 2k rpmn turbo doesn't contribute at all, it just adds inertia to the system on acceleration. SC literary blows the TC until there's enough exhaust flow make the turbo spin and allow to disengage the SC completely, which happens around 3.5k rpm - SC spins at it's max 125k rpm then.

Want to use least fuel? Do not use brakes :)

55 MPG is quite remarkable, I doubt that I would ever get anywhere near that.

Early on Sunday I did a (mostly motorway) journey of 285 miles with four adults on board at an MFD reported average speed of 64 MPH.

The display claimed an average MPG of 42.1. My spreadsheet calculated figure was 40 MPG - I am happy with that.

Just got back from two trips without filling up, first worcester-liverpool-worcester and then worcester-heathrow-worcester- total 528 miles on the odometer and zero on the fuel range.

Fill up (vented 49 litre) and range shows 470 miles. Not bad.

• Like 1

Small correction, at low revs (but mostly dependant on driver requested duty) the engine works in naturally aspirated mode where bypass valve in the charge system lets all the air past SC and TC. ignition is advanced and AFR is stoichiometric. At 2k rpmn turbo doesn't contribute at all, it just adds inertia to the system on acceleration. SC literary blows the TC until there's enough exhaust flow make the turbo spin and allow to disengage the SC completely, which happens around 3.5k rpm - SC spins at it's max 125k rpm then.

Indeed.

If you need to slow down a bit then click from Drive to Sports so you make some electricity and then click in to Neutral when you can down hill so you stop then unnecessary mecnaincal losses and preserve momentum.  Book figures are obtainable with a bit of thoughtful driving.  Less CO2 in to the atmostphere, less tax to the Con-Dems, great.    

In my experience neutral works well when hill is not too steep and I want to go far i.e. leaving it in gear would necessitate throttle input. You have to remember that when in neutral injectors are firing to maintain idle, rolling in-gear results in injectors shut so no fuel whatsoever is burned. It all depends on the distance you can cover in neutral versus fuel savings if left in gear but shorter rolling distance.

In my experience neutral works well when hill is not too steep and I want to go far i.e. leaving it in gear would necessitate throttle input. You have to remember that when in neutral injectors are firing to maintain idle, rolling in-gear results in injectors shut so no fuel whatsoever is burned. It all depends on the distance you can cover in neutral versus fuel savings if left in gear but shorter rolling distance.

I have always wondered if the spark plus fire even when the fuel is cut off?   When I first started working on bikes and cars it was key that the spark plugs stayed in the operating range so you would not want the plug dropping down below 500 C else it would start to foul but not sure that is so much of a problem any more.

Car definately holds it momentum better out of gear rather than in gear as you would expect.

Plugs still fire but nothing is burning as no fuel is injected during on gear rolling. The 500C you are referring to is the temp during the combustion process i.e. hot or cold plugs. If plug is too cold (dissipates the heat too quickly) then it will be below temps at which it "self cleans" and it will foul

According to maxidot display, over a distance of 1850 miles our wee car with new engine has averaged 31.8mpg over 98 hrs driving at a speed of something like 19mph. Which is about right as my wife is main user and her journeys with work are all short, sharp and local to the village. Not too disappointed, will be interesting to see what it can do over a good journey at steady speed.

And not as seemed the case when my son had a hold of it, down to something approaching 10mpg and air traffic control sending out alerts!

According to maxidot display, over a distance of 1850 miles our wee car with new engine has averaged 31.8mpg over 98 hrs driving at a speed of something like 19mph. Which is about right as my wife is main user and her journeys with work are all short, sharp and local to the village. Not too disappointed, will be interesting to see what it can do over a good journey at steady speed.

And not as seemed the case when my son had a hold of it, down to something approaching 10mpg and air traffic control sending out alerts!

I occasionally wonder how it was doing MPG wise when the Fabia VRS set a bunch of 1.1 liitre to 1.5 litre British speed distance records.  At 130 mph one would have though it would only be doing 10 mpg or so and hence empty the tank in well less than one hour even with venting.

https://www.msauk.org/assets/msaspeedrecords.pdf

Drove down to Liverpool for the weekend in the vrs done 250 miles and averaged 37.5mpg. On the motorway it was around 40mpg hit Liverpool and it went down to 37.5mpg. Very impressed only half a tank of momentum used! 

• Like 1

Very interesting, thanks for that.

I will keep a more careful eye on the revs as I drive.

I always use "D" mode on the DSG and am typically below 3,000 RPM in D7.

I would have thought that Skoda would configure the ECU to give optimum consumption?

• 3 months later...

Some recent trips:

300 miles mostly Motorway - 47.1 MPG (calculated figure)

286 miles mostly Motorway - 45.6 MPG (calculated figure)

228 miles mostly rural and some Motorway - 43.3 MPG (calculated figure) - 45.3 according to MFD

Saw 49.1 MPG on the MFD after a 60 mile mostly motorway journey today

Overall MPG over 15,000 miles = 39.6 MPG (calculated figure)

There has definitely been a significant improvement since I last had my car serviced

Overall I am very pleased

• Like 1

Good stuff.  How many miles on the car now.

(EDIT, sorry, 15,000, see it now)

Re post #96 & no Turbo.

70 mph and 2,700 rpm is Turbo but no Supercharger below 3,500 rpm unless requited on demand and then Supercharger comes in.

Edited by goneoffSKi

My Fabia 2 VRS sold back to the dealer last week with almost 100K miles on it.  

Still performed close to brand new values ie lower 40 mpg average but capable of over 50 mpg (run to Scotland and back of over 600 miles on one vented tank).

Logan does 700 miles on a tankful.  Hope Fabia 2 VRS's eventual replacement, a Clio RS 220, or 200, gets as good MPG as the Fabia 2 VRS.  It does have lower CO2 which is a partial indication but maybe more for urban rather than extra urban and at least it runs on 95 octane rather than needing to find 99 Octane which is rare and expensive on the motorway network.

• Like 1

The Polo GTI 1.4 TSI, Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI , Audi A1 185ps, Seat Ibiza FR 150ps DSG with the CAVE then Revised engines 

all were given a 139g /km,  

Yet the CTHE Fabia was not even on narrower tyres and lighter cars.

(so was still one VED band higher from 2010-2015)

So the Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG is given the same 139g / km

(the Manual lower) 

The Clio Trophy 220 is given lower 138g /km due to having stop-start.  

So figures from the Manufacturers tests submitted and nothing to do with real world, 

and if you are switching Stop - Start off, then where are the emissions really lower?

Edited by goneoffSKi