octavia vrs remap

After having many maps on my cars (including REVO on my 2 litre TFSI VRS) id go with Shark every single time now. The best software for real world driving conditions imo. Support is second to none also, cant say the same regarding other tuners mentioned here!

And you can check for fault codes. Saved you at least £40 a go.

Ah yes. Forgot that bit as I have VCDS for the diags ;)

Cheers guys. I assume this doesn't come 'as standard' within the price of the remap of £499? I cant see a price for the STS unit! :no:

No, not as standard, it's usually an extra £150 or so, and not available on the later cars as they have protected ECUs that need to be removed. I've got an "old" PD diesel which uses STS. :)

do shark still offer a discount for forum members?  might be worth checking out.

btw - i sold my sts on here when i demapped the last car for a lot less than shark charge for a new one, so it might be worth checking out if there are any used units available?

I contacted Shark about this the other day as I couldn't find details on their website, this is the reply

Yes it is still something we can provide for your Octavia vrs 2.0 TSI. The stage 1 remap is priced at £499 inc VAT plus the STS unit at £150 inc VAT

So are they good maps? When I had my Seat Cupra, everyone on the forums were all about APR and REVO, but I don't know of anyone who's used a tuner near me (Surrey/Hants border)

A mate has also said AMD is a good option and can be done at a place in Woking

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by bubba

R-tech are the best out there but they don't do TSi, they concentrate only on the 1.8t and 2.0tfsi.

If your going Stage 1 you won't really go wrong with any of the above but if you plan to go past stage 1 it might be worth thinking about a tuner who can give a more "custom" map.

I have a 2008 Octavia VRS PD170 Estate.  I have been running it with the BP Ultimate diesel, which has noticeable performance over the standard fuel.  You don't feel it at first, but you notice it when you put the ordinary diesel back in....  I ended up getting the STS unit and performance map from Shark performance for convenience, rather than driving 1 1/2 hr to a reputable tuner here in Northern Ireland.  Coupled with the Ultimate diesel, this car has some serious performance gains!

It even spins the wheels for a large part of the rev range in 2nd gear (on dry tarmac), which it wouldn't have done before, normally only in damp or wet conditions.  I feel more confident overtaking now in the 40mph to 60mph range, as it does accelerate a lot more quicker now, with that extra BHP and torque.

They said their performance map is more smoother.  It does take off better from standing still now and when the turbo kicks in, you can definitely feel it this time.  The car is performing the way it should have been from the factory!

I originally had reservations about the STS unit, but it is convenient and you do have the option of reloading back the original map and also immobilising the car with the immobilisation map....

I have had a look into different avenues just to cover my bases and to try and get more of an insight of the tuning industry. There are a LOT of so called tuners that have generic maps from companies I haven't heard of like Quantum, Viezu, True core, ect. 

Spoke to black code and there process is that a dealer comes out to read the car, sends it to head office office where they build a custom map in house and send it back. I'm currently trying to squeeze more info from them about their processors. 

I have also spoken to Nick from Carbon chip tuning (Highly recommended and a golf gti forum sponsor) who is prepared to drive down from manchester way remap the wifes 1.6 tdi which is an ecu out job and my car for a total of £800. I thought this was very reasonable for both cars and that he was coming to me in hampshire. He has even said if I can find some more people wanting a map in the area he will cut the cost further. 

I know that everyone keeps saying shark is the best and they are probably right but i am trying not to be biased. Its not that i am being tight either it the fact the wife has thrown into the mix that she wants her golf doing and its an ecu out type. could anyone recommend a local-ish tuner who could do this or even a decent mobile who is prepared to travel.   

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with a pd Diesel map.

Shark maps are excellent. Loads of extra ummph, but smooth and linear with it. Not a big surge then nothing, or nothing then a big surge. Really, really nice to drive with. Really nice to live with.

If just going into town, normal following the next guy sort of motoring, I find the fuel consumption has actually improved - not what I bought it for, but nice none the less.

If you are just bimbling along the map goes into a sort of rest mode, softening the response. To be awakened if you stomp on the pedal, very useful in town or stuck behind an unovertakenable object. Or other users who may never overtake on principle.

If you are making progress, then the response is fantastic all the time.

As also mentioned, the people are very good to deal with too.

There is a current thread about an experience with apr.