MDI - What does it do extra to Bluetooth

Bluemoonin65

I'm getting ready to order my Yeti and the one extra I'm not sure about is the MDI.

Basically, what I want to know is what are the benefits of having the MDI over just using the Bluetooth connection and a charger for my iPhone?  :sweat:

Well, you can plug a USB stick or portable hard disk and then control it from the head unit.

However with a large enough sd card that benefit is marginal. I keep 4 sd 16gb cards in the car with different types of music on each.

I never seem to listen to it all.

Not a lot - with the MDI you can browse the iPhone playlists etc via the car's head unit, while with Bluetooth you need to do that on the phone itself.

I didn't order it initially, then added it later after much deliberation.  I had an old 30Gb iPod spare so my intention was to load that with all my music, then just leave it connected in the car but that didn't work for 2 reasons :-

1. The iPod is older than the MDI is happy with (it plays for a while, then comes up with a connection error), and
  2. Skoda put the MDI socket in a silly place (in the open cubby hole below the heater controls) meaning any device left connected is visible.  It would have been far better in the glove compartment or jumbo box.

I now tend to use a 32Gb SD card for my music.

I'd get MDI over BT streaming. I have both.

MDI allows:

Phone / iPod charging;

Large collections on HD (SD are limited to 32Gb or maybe 64Gb in some cases);

Easy synching with your computer / phone for playlists;

Podcasts are available via MDI;

Easier access to any music on your phone (HD or USB stick is a moot point if you use SD cards);

More options of accessing music, audio books, etc.;

Better sound quality (in my non-audiophile experience).

HTH

Thanks Woodmaster, Splooter & KBPhoto for the opinions, audio quality was one of my concerns and browsing my rather bloated music collection .

I have an iPhone 5 and understand that the connector from this isn't available in the UK for the MDI as yet (it's only been out for 2 years....!?!) so other options for playing music are also worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason I opted for MDI on my second Yeti is because the SD card slot in the Bolero can only 'see' a finite number of tracks regardless of size of card. This used to be the first 2000 songs on my first Yeti but seems to have gone up to 3000 songs since the face-lift. This may be enough for most folk but if not the same card in a SD card reader plugged into the MDI unit via a USB lead can 'see' all 4500 songs I have on the 32gb card. The card reader is tiny and easily concealed behind a small neatly folded cloth. I’m assuming the number of tracks the MDI can deal with is fairly limitless.

The way Bolero displays the Artists/albums/songs on the large screen and the ease of finding music you want to listen to is little short of brilliant. This applies both to the SD slot and the MDI.

Thanks Woodmaster, Splooter & KBPhoto for the opinions, audio quality was one of my concerns and browsing my rather bloated music collection .

I have an iPhone 5 and understand that the connector from this isn't available in the UK for the MDI as yet (it's only been out for 2 years....!?!) so other options for playing music are also worth considering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-iPhone-5-5s-MDI-Lightning-cable-lead-/181437311647?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item2a3e81aa9f#ht_259wt_1399

Agree with splooter-the MDI socket ought to be hidden in the glovebox or armrest so you can leave the i-pod in place when you park up. I expected a hidden place when I ordered and this is one of my very few disappointments with the Yeti. My 2007 Golf and several demonstrators I used around then all had hidden connection.

Does the facelift have it in the same place?

Also, has anyone modified theirs to have it hidden? Any links appreciated.

P.S. did the dealer charge extra for the MDI cable?

The iPhone5 connector IS available - just not from a Skoda dealer - you have to get them from a VW dealer or off the internet.

I have MDI and like has been said, I find it to be better than Bluetooth for the reason that you have more control from the car's radio & steering wheel, plus it charges the device.

Personally I am very glad the MDI port is in the cubby rather than in the glovebox - as my device is a phone, I would find it extremely annoying if it was hidden away in the glovebox - I much prefer it to be available on the dash so I can monitor it & use it when stuck in traffic, without having to reach over & unplug it.

The reason I opted for MDI on my second Yeti is because the SD card slot in the Bolero can only 'see' a finite number of tracks regardless of size of card. This used to be the first 2000 songs on my first Yeti but seems to have gone up to 3000 songs since the face-lift. This may be enough for most folk but if not the same card in a SD card reader plugged into the MDI unit via a USB lead can 'see' all 4500 songs I have on the 32gb card. The card reader is tiny and easily concealed behind a small neatly folded cloth. I’m assuming the number of tracks the MDI can deal with is fairly limitless.

The way Bolero displays the Artists/albums/songs on the large screen and the ease of finding music you want to listen to is little short of brilliant. This applies both to the SD slot and the MDI.

My files are all in folders for the relevant albums, which is how they were imported from the computer, doesn't seem to be any effective limit like this? Not sure how many folders I can have, but presumably up to 2000 files in each? When playing when it reaches the last file in the folder, it goes automatically to the first file of the next folder, folders are in alphabetical order.