Satnav confusion and frustration

Hi all,

Mrs A has just bought a 1 year old, 2.6K miles Octavia elegance with all the toys - which is lovely. One frustration is the sat nav. The car came with an SD card which we put into slot 2 but the SAT NAV just sulks and says "insert disk...".

I tried downloading the latest update for her car (Columbus I think - the case for the SD card says this)  and put it onto another 8GB card formatted with Fat32 default allocation size. The car still refuses to read the disk.

The SD card does work - I put some music on it and it played fine.

So what obviously stupid thing am I doing wrong ?

Cheers

A.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can use any only SD card for the nav. Does the original card definitely have files on it?

Yep original card has data on it - I decided to leave it as is and locked. The car doesn't recognise that either.

EDIT - The original card says it is a standard SD card on my PC.

Edited by Arragonis

My initial thought was that the car has not come with the correct SD card. Otherwise it should have read it straight off.

Plus, doesnt the Colombus have the files downloaded onto the unit? Something doesnt sound quite right with the unit/ SD card.

My initial thought was that the car has not come with the correct SD card. Otherwise it should have read it straight off.

Plus, doesnt the Colombus have the files downloaded onto the unit? Something doesnt sound quite right with the unit/ SD card.

Columbus has the maps on a hard drive, so doesn't need an SD card at all.

Well when i got my Octy, the Amundsen read the SD card as soon as it was inserted. Nothing needed changing or anything.

Also, it will only accept an actual Skoda SD card. Cant be just any old one. Check make sure the SD card is genuine, and then make sure it has the files on it. Also, remember, when you do update it, the updates need to go on the original card.

Lets hope the files have been deleted..that's an easy fix then  :thumbup:

Certainly is. A simple download of the updates.

If the genuine SD card has gone missing, god knows how long it'll take the dealers to get a new one

• Like 1

Certainly is. A simple download of the updates.

If the genuine SD card has gone missing, god knows how long it'll take the dealers to get a new one

Cards should be freely available from the dealer but they cost £230 each. I enquired last week.

Only original Skoda SD cards be used, and I believe they will only work in the Amundsen unit they were first used with

Skoda appear to have embedded some sort of security on the cards

This has been covered on other threads.

I found it better to revert back to my TomTom which in my opinion is a vastly better piece of kit from a functional standpoint anyway.

Edited by Minimoke

I believe they will only work in the Amundsen unit they were first used with

I'm hoping to test this out with a work colleague then next time we meet up as we both have the same cars, we are going to swap cards and see what happens..should be interesting !!

I'm hoping to test this out with a work colleague then next time we meet up as we both have the same cars, we are going to swap cards and see what happens..should be interesting !!

That would be excellent and it would be good to get a definitive answer to this. I have been trawling other forums over this issue as £230 to replace a card is ludicrous. The consensus seems to be that they dont work in other units other than the original but I could not find anyone who could say that with 100% confidence.

This is a sore subject with me as I ran into trouble trying to get a damaged card replaced under warranty. Owners may run into difficulty if the map upgrade goes awry. Skoda can claim that the problem has been caused by user error and therefore not covered.

Edited by Minimoke

Where did you buy the car from???

Surely if it is advertised as having Sat Nav then the original SD card for the Amundsen needs to be supplied!

I presume that is aimed at me?

It was supplied with the card. However attempting a map upgrade bricked the card. I say it must have been faulty card as I followed the instructions to the letter but Skoda will disagree and say any issues are down to user error and therefore not their problem.

Edited by Minimoke

Given the official instructions say format the card how can anyone brick it installing an update ? I checked no hidden partitions.

And if it is formatted how does the car know it is the same card ?

Exactly, format the card as FAT32, download the latest Amundsen updates and extract the 7zip file to the card.

If it is a genuine Skoda card it is an odd size - it isn't 8Gb exactly. Amundsen will only work with a genuine Skoda card.

Given the official instructions say format the card how can anyone brick it installing an update ? I checked no hidden partitions.

And if it is formatted how does the car know it is the same card ?

If it is a standard SD card can you explain to me why they do not work for the Amundsen sat nav?

So do I put the update on the original card to try ?

The SD card you have. Is it an original Skoda card?

If yes, put it into a computer, and check if the files are on it.

If they arent, take the updates you did earlier, and put them on the genuine SD card.

Files are on the original card, they look the same as the ones in the download in terms of files and folders.

Given you can download it for free why is it protected ? And how ?

Going back to the dealer but we bought it from a Nissan place next door to the Skoda dealer. The latter were annoyed that the Nissan place had the car so they might not be keen to help ? Previous experience with Skoda dealers is happy in the buying phase but servicing not good at all and I went elsewhere.

Will try though. Actually it will go back to Nissan - they can sort it ;)

This is as annoying as my Audi sat nav DVD...

Car is lovely though...