Satnav confusion and frustration

True, but hasn't actually said if this was from Day 1 or not.

It does look very much like a goosed card, or a non original.

"Mrs A has just bought a 1 year old, 2.6K miles Octavia elegance with all the toys - which is lovely. One frustration is the sat nav. The car came with an SD card which we put into slot 2 but the SAT NAV just sulks and says "insert disk...".

Sounds pretty much like it was as soon as they purchased the car.

Nope not confused at all, followed the instructions to the letter and no joy.

Dealer being, er, slow...

Where are you?

If you are nearby I'll happily test your card in my nav unit and my card in yours.

Believe it or not I can actually read.

Nowhere does it say that it has never worked. It may have worked, they have taken the card out for whatever reason (like putting music on it which they have done) then put it back in and now it doesn't work.

Where are you?

If you are nearby I'll happily test your card in my nav unit and my card in yours.

Probably the best way of getting to the bottom of this!

Is this where we find out it is a MkII Octavia LOL

Believe it or not I can actually read.

Nowhere does it say that it has never worked. It may have worked, they have taken the card out for whatever reason (like putting music on it which they have done) then put it back in and now it doesn't work.

OK Andy, I wasnt trying to suggest you couldnt read. I may be an arse, but not that much of an arse!!

Point taken as well. I just read it as though they had never managed to get it working since they picked it up.

Putting music onto it probably wasnt the best idea, but i see why they did it. Needless to say though, I wont be trying anything like that!!

Probably the best way of getting to the bottom of this!

Is this where we find out it is a MkII Octavia LOL

Oh ye of little faith :D

But a 1yr old MkII? :devil:

There had better be a problem with the card or unit now, after all the arguing ive been doing backing him up.

Looking back, I can see where everyone thought he was confused. I just assumed his confusion was in what he wrote. Fingers crossed :sweat:

Given that they thought it was a Columbus at first, and stated that the DVD case the card came in said it was for a Columbus who knows what is going off! I wasn't having a go BTW :)

Perhaps the OP could post up a photo of the DVD case, SD card and the error and the Amundsen when the card is inserted, as well as a screenshot of the folder structure on the card then another Amundsen user could compare them to theirs?

Do the SD cards have a Skoda part number on them???

Oh ye of little faith :D

But a 1yr old MkII? :devil:

There had better be a problem with the card or unit now, after all the arguing ive been doing backing him up.

Looking back, I can see where everyone thought he was confused. I just assumed his confusion was in what he wrote. Fingers crossed :sweat:

Yep, they are still getting registered now - I saw a 14 plate MkII yesterday and had to do a double take.

Admittedly, they look like the taxi special edition with the vinyl vomit resistant seats and not an Elegance, but all manufacturers end up with some of the old model left over and registered well after the model switch.

Given that they thought it was a Columbus at first, and stated that the DVD case the card came in said it was for a Columbus who knows what is going off! I wasn't having a go BTW :)

Perhaps the OP could post up a photo of the DVD case, SD card and the error and the Amundsen when the card is inserted, as well as a screenshot of the folder structure on the card then another Amundsen user could compare them to theirs?

Do the SD cards have a Skoda part number on them???

I have wondered if the files are structured incorrectly.

I managed to do that when i first updted mine. It isnt the simplest of instructions.

I just took his word that he had done everything correctly, and I believe he did say the files were structured exactly as they were beforehand. So unless they were structured incorrectly when he picked the vehicle up.

Yep, they are still getting registered now - I saw a 14 plate MkII yesterday and had to do a double take.

Admittedly, they look like the taxi special edition with the vinyl vomit resistant seats and not an Elegance, but all manufacturers end up with some of the old model left over and registered well after the model switch.

Interesting. Anyone tried asking their dealer for a MkII?!!!

Saying that, was it a Mini i saw on TV the other day, which was built quite a few years ago, but had only just been registered

I have wondered if the files are structured incorrectly.

I managed to do that when i first updted mine. It isnt the simplest of instructions.

I just took his word that he had done everything correctly, and I believe he did say the files were structured exactly as they were beforehand. So unless they were structured incorrectly when he picked the vehicle up.

Who knows - a screenshot and a few photos will help us get to the bottom of it!

Hi all - apologies, I don't monitor this too closely. Thanks for all of the replies and help - I didn't mean to confuse so from the top full story.

Bought the car from a Nissan dealer next door to a Skoda dealer! Car is Octavia current model, 13 plate with 2,600 miles on the clock. Didn't see the SatNav working before we bought it, assumed it would just do so as the car is literally brand new - still smells new inside.

Collected the car last Monday and was handed the glovebox pack - instructions and the sat nav card in a DVD style case. Case says "Navigation SD card Europe" with "Octavia 5E" in the bottom, right corner. On the back is says it is for the Amundsen unit - apologies, I looked at a picture online of the other one and thought it was that,

This is the Mrs' car and she loves it so much I haven't even driven it yet ;)

The case looks genuine comparing it to ones on ebay - same colours, printing is good (not a photocopy) card has sticker on it.

The at the Nissan place guy paired the phone etc. for Mrs A but didn't setup the card. He told us slot 2 and just to make sure I checked the instructions myself later at home and put the card into slot 2 - no joy. No joy in slot 1 either.

Inserted a card with some music and it played first time - either slot.

I checked the SD card contents - it has a file called Dbinfo.txt on it and a folder called markets. The markets folder has 879 files in 600 folders the total size is 4,873,638,849 bytes. It is formatted as Fat32 with an allocation size of 32 Kilobytes - nothing special about it at all - no hidden partitions I can find (in Windows and Linux).

I followed the instructions on the maps updating website using another card - a posting here

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/amundsen-sat-nav_topic877_page5.html#.U7lDMbEQG9I

suggests you don't need a special card. And the suggestion in this thread (this one here, not the link above ;) ) about swapping them between us to see if they work suggests there is no "locking" to a specific unit. Given the card must be locked as read-only in the instructions I can't see how the unit would be able to update the card to "lock it" anyway.

The new card is an 8GB Transend SDHC Class 6 formatted as FAT32 with 32K allocation size as per the original. I downloaded the 7z file (P40_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT_Q3.13) and unzipped it. The file is located on this page :

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

I downloaded the FULL file from there overnight not the split up version.

It has the same files in the root folder (DbInfo.txt and markets folder) and 7,039 files in 1,524 folders and is 7,073,655,601 bytes which is very different! I put the files onto the new card.

The instructions (in the manual and the helpful photocopy the Skoda dealer has provided - this is all they have done so far...) say format the disk and extract the files onto the card - I have extracted them to my PC disk first and copied them, and also extracted them directly to the SD card after formatting again. The response is the same as before.

I tried the software update just to see if it would make any difference.

This is the contents of the DbInfo.txt file on the original card :

PartNumber1="8V0919866  "
PartNumber2="5G0919866  "
PartNumber3="5E0919866  "
PartNumber4="5F0919866  "
PartNumber="8V0919866  "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0018"
SystemName=" 2012/2013   "

and this is the updated file :

PartNumber2="5G0919866N "
PartNumber3="5E0051236E "
PartNumber4="5F0919866H "
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0040"
SystemName=" ECE 2014/15 "

I tested if the car won't read my card at all by putting music on it and it works every time. 

Given the original card is probably goosed I'm going to repeat it the process using that card and see what happens, and if that fails try the split files download and repeat. If not I'll try a new one off ebay.

The dealers should sort it but it means going to an invonvenient location repeatedly to get them into action.

If I'm doing something obviously wrong please let me know before I send the Mrs to Glasgow without a clue on where to go tomorrow... :peek:

First thing - the Amundsen in the Yeti is a completely different unit as the Yeti is on the old A5 platform, not the new MQB, and therefore doesn't have the MIB Amundsen.

With the MIB units you have to use the original Skoda card - you can't use anything else for the maps.

Download the maps from here

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-Main&NewLocaleID=en_GB&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light

and unzip these on to your original card. If that doesn't work then call the dealer and tell them they need to order you a new card as it is faulty.

Do I understand correctly that you are still persisting in trying to get a third party SD card working with navigation data rather than using the original Skoda card?

@Minimoke - I was but, as I said above

Given the original card is probably goosed I'm going to repeat it the process using that card and see what happens, and if that fails try the split files download and repeat. If not I'll try a new one off ebay.

Since posting the above I've tried the same process with the original card with the same result. To be absolutely sure I've downloaded the split up version of the 7Z file and I'm putting it onto the card just now.

@All - could someone check their card in a PC and do right-click / properties and post up how many files and how big please ?

Thanks.

EDIT - could someone also check if their card has a volume label ? - Again TIA.

Edited by Arragonis

Hi,

Card has no volume label, it's an 8GB card, 6.81Gb used File system FAT32

Label on card has Navigation SD card Europe (V2), 203113, 5EO 051 236C on it.

Root of card has one folder "markets" and one text file "DBInfo"

In markets is one folder "eu"

In eu  are two folders "map" and "vde"

There are loads more folders, but hopefully this should help out.

I have just copied everything onto a different card, will report back soon, if it runs or not.

Edited by Miz

I don't know how many times it needs saying, the MIB Amundsen will only work from the original Skoda card. I don't know why you are insisting in seeing what happens on other cards - it won't work.

Can you post a screenshot of the folder structure on your card and also the properties of the card, similar to this screenshot which is for the Columbus.

post-61868-0-23881300-1404662541_thumb.png

@andyvee - that page leads to the one I linked to above.

The card works for music though.

Whether it works for music or not is irrelevant, and you shouldn't be putting music on it either, it should just have the maps on and nothing else. As others have said, there is a security mechanism built in to the cards so that the Nav unit knows it is a genuine card. This area is not visible on a PC at all,  if that area is damaged or missing no matter what you do the card won't work. Also, a card from an Amundsen from a Yeti or MkII Octavia won't work with your unit.

What file format is the card - NTFS or FAT32? - only asking as you have been re-formatting it. It needs to be FAT32.

Are you doing this on a Mac or a PC? - Macs create lots of extra folders that stop the card from working

Is your part number on your card 5EO 051 236C or similar? - I have zoomed in as much as I can on the picture you have posted but can't read the part number on the card.

I don't know how many times it needs saying, the MIB Amundsen will only work from the original Skoda card. I don't know why you are insisting in seeing what happens on other cards - it won't work.

Can you post a screenshot of the folder structure on your card and also the properties of the card, similar to this screenshot which is for the Columbus.

attachicon.gifscreenshot.png

I stopped doing that earlier, I just wanted to compare what is on my original card with others to see if something is borked.

This is what the original card looks like with the downloaded files attached and it formatted using Windows in Fat32.

Untitled.png

Edited by Arragonis

OK, test done, original SD card works no problem, other 8Gb card that looks identical in windows gives the same message as in your post #64

I would suggest that your card is at fault, not your system.

• Like 1