Best machine-free upholstery cleaner?

Maieth

Hey folks.

Yesterday my water bottle leaked on the passenger seat in the vRS. It's a mk1 fabia, so I have the lovely, light grey fabric to deal with -_-

I was irritated because I thought water alone had somehow stained the fabric, before later realising that what I was seeing was, in fact, a clean spot, where the water had pushed aside the general grime on the seat, leaving a lovely tide mark. 

:sick:

Can anyone recommend an upholstery cleaner for the silly grey fabric that doesn't involve using a vacuum or other machine cleaner? I don't have access to one of these at the moment, and certainly don't have the cash to spare to buy one for one intensive clean.  Ideally I want to be able to drop into helfrauds and grab a bottle of something to get the seats freshened up from time to time.

Any thoughts?

A spray upholstery cleaner (foam) thats what I use and is very good. Although I have black interior. Cant remember for the life of me what its called. But its from halfords and has a brush on top so you can agitate the foam. Its says to vacuum off but I wipe it off and let dry- never had any issues apart from my backside smelling like oranges.... which swmbo tells me is an improvement.

• Like 2

Autoglym Upholstery Cleaner.  We keep one in the garage and one in the house.  Brilliant stuff.  Coped with all the little spills as my two daughters were growing up.

Autoglym Upholstery Cleaner. We keep one in the garage and one in the house. Brilliant stuff. Coped with all the little spills as my two daughters were growing up.

I've had two bottles of Autoglym interior cleaner ( the spray on bottle with green writing) and I can't say I'm that impressed It's removed some marks but not all and I too have the dreaded grey cloth syndrome. Would be interested to know what people have used successfully otherwise it's a wet vac.

Edited by theezenutz

Sadly, I've read similar things about Autoglym's Upholstery cleaner.

I've picked up a generic foaming cleaner with brush attachment (turtle wax) for the time being. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

I've had two bottles of Autoglym interior cleaner ( the spray on bottle with green writing) and I can't say I'm that impressed It's removed some marks but not all and I too have the dreaded grey cloth syndrome. Would be interested to know what people have used successfully otherwise it's a wet vac.

I'm yet to fine a stain/dirt AG interior shampoo can't get out, my mum even got dried in red whine out of a cream carpet. It'll literally get anything off anything.

I'm yet to fine a stain/dirt AG interior shampoo can't get out, my mum even got dried in red whine out of a cream carpet. It'll literally get anything off anything.

Not to sure if I'm using it wrong then. When I was looking into buying it I read mixed reviews, some would say it's was really good and some would say it wasn't very effective.

I can only go by my experience and overall I just don't think it' does the job I require. But never the less it doesn't cost much so at the very least it's worth a go.

This sounds ridiculous, but I work in Clarks shoe shop and something which I've discovered is really useful is their "leather/fabric shoe protector". I sprayed my car seats (their plain cloth, although it works on leather, suede and other fabrics), and it has stopped any spills from staining and allowed it to clean really easily. They do a variety of restoring sprays too for fabrics, although I've never used them. I'm sure there are other shops that do something similar to, might be worth trying. It's a fairly cheap way of keeping the interior relatively stain-proof and removing stains. 

• Like 2

This sounds ridiculous, but I work in Clarks shoe shop and something which I've discovered is really useful is their "leather/fabric shoe protector". I sprayed my car seats (their plain cloth, although it works on leather, suede and other fabrics), and it has stopped any spills from staining and allowed it to clean really easily. They do a variety of restoring sprays too for fabrics, although I've never used them. I'm sure there are other shops that do something similar to, might be worth trying. It's a fairly cheap way of keeping the interior relatively stain-proof and removing stains. 

Probably a similar solution to good old scotch-guard.  When I was little my mum would insist is dowsing any new footwear in a healthy layer of the stuff to make it waterproof.  It meant three days of waiting to wear our new shoes while they dried out, but the stuff worked.  Plenty of similar products around now and I'll definitely be getting something once I've cleaned them.

Which I still haven't done.  And I left a window open in rain earlier in the week. Looks rank now. Loads of little blurry watermarks with grimy edges.  It's enough to make me wish I'd forked out for an SE with black interior.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I found AG int shampoo pretty good on my mk1 vrs seats, used a hard brush to agitate, did all of my seats with some to spare.

And like the above for £6 cant go wrong, simonez upholstery foam was pretty good too, think I saw that on offer for 2.50 in Tesco at the min. But spraying that in confined areas isn't pleasant.

Edited by Thisday
  • Like 1

1001 spray works well for the interior. Spray and agitate with a microfibre cloth... once dried, I used Gtechiq smart fabric to protect the fabric

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll grab either that or the AG IS as they both can be had locally.  Will they be safe to use on the white alcantara bits?  Also,I'm going to use my wet vac on the mats - do I have to use the Vax stuff, or can I just add AG IS into the clean water bucket of the vax machine?

When you say fabric, are you talking about the black upholstery in the centre of the seats (like a diamond web pattern) or the white alcantara at the top and front of the seats?

Last question: this is the 1001 stuff, yeah? http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=261783721

Edited by planehazza

Thays the stuff :)

My fabia vRS had standard seats (black with white/grey), I used 1001 on both parts with success. I would suggest testing a small area first. Also, spray and agitate lightly as you dont want to soak the seats.

As for the Vax, I didnt bother with using a solution in the tank... I use AB FAB and agitate using an upholstery brush and then use the vax to suck up the residue. It's quicker and dosent waterlog the fabric

• Like 1

Thays the stuff :)

My fabia vRS had standard seats (black with white/grey), I used 1001 on both parts with success. I would suggest testing a small area first. Also, spray and agitate lightly as you dont want to soak the seats.

As for the Vax, I didnt bother with using a solution in the tank... I use AB FAB and agitate using an upholstery brush and then use the vax to suck up the residue. It's quicker and dosent waterlog the fabric

So you just used warm water in the Vax to rinse it? Or do you mean you didn't use any liquid at all?

Thanks!

No liquid at all mate, I just used the vax to hoover up the residue

Cool, well I'm off to get some AG shampoo and might pick up some 1001 on the way back.  All my new cleaning stuff arrived today so looking forward to getting it at least clean. Just hope it doesn't freeze! :D

Sounds like a plan! I tend to move all my cleaning stuff indoors during winter. Look into a fabric protector too such as scotch guard/Gtechniq smart fabric- minor spillages just run off, without staining.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool, well I'm off to get some AG shampoo and might pick up some 1001 on the way back.  All my new cleaning stuff arrived today so looking forward to getting it at least clean. Just hope it doesn't freeze! :D

bump.

How'd you get on with your seats planehazza?  I tried some foaming spray that did precisely nothing and haven't had chance to sort mine out since.  Putting some more time and attention into the cars over coming weeks/months so this will be something to revisit.

bump.

How'd you get on with your seats planehazza?  I tried some foaming spray that did precisely nothing and haven't had chance to sort mine out since.  Putting some more time and attention into the cars over coming weeks/months so this will be something to revisit.

Never got round to it, but the vax on the mats was useless.  It is obviously a basic model my parents have as it has less suction that a cheap hooker :D

• Like 1

We have a big Vax carpet cleaner with an upholstery cleaner. When doing cars I normally spray with AG interior shampoo and let it soak for a minute then wet with the Vax and suck it up. Some of the second hand cars I've done have taken a considerable amount of time to do the seats, carpets and mats but its amazing what sucking the water out removes. My Passat turned the water a hideous colour!

Before I had the Vax just a soft scrubbing brush to agitate and a cloth I could rinse in water then another Clean bowl (much like a two bucket method but with ringing out) used to work fairly well

Far easier to do in the summer when the car can dry out well.

• Like 1

Looks like AG is worth a go. Thanks again all. Really starting to get back into keeping the cars a bit tidier now the days or brightening so hopefully I can give this a go soon

I use Turtle Wax Interior 1. It's a spray foam with a scrubbing brush on the top. Cheap so I've used it on seats, rooflining, carpets, kids car seats. Been very impressed with the results.

Once cleaned I'd look at a protector.

I put Gtechniq I1 on my Alcantara sections and the dirt and liquid just brushes off. After 90k they still look in great condition.

• Like 3