Hill start with auto dsg.

Hi

Could somebody please provide guidance?

I have a 2014 Superb L&K estate 170 and there are lots to like..but there are a few things that are driving me mad.

The engine does not kick in for seconds when needing to move off on a hill start and hence I roll.

The iPod music seems to cut in and out on various speakers mid word sometimes.

The stereo drops low for reversing (fine) but does not return to normal sound level when moving on again.

If your car hasn't got Hill Hold Control then that's why it's rolling back. HHC was an option on the Elegance spec a few years ago and I'm not sure if L&K spec includes it.  The DSG isn't like a traditional auto and won't creep on anything but the slightest incline;.nifty footwork or the handbrake is required.  My wife's Fabia DSG has it and you can tell it's holding as there's a slight clonk when you swap from the brake to the accelerator and accelerate from rest on a slope.

I can't comment on your iPod problem but my stero returns to full volume again almost as soon as I've moved the selector our of reverse.

I have found the same with mine, when you are on a slope, mine is fitted with hill hold, it does seem to have a delay when pulling away, but only for a split second... 

Stuart

Mine is pre owned with most of the bells and whistles have DSG not sure if I have hill hold , have done hill starts with the van on and done loads of hill starts in Spain never had a problem , never considered if I have hill start, would be nice to know if I have it installed so guidance required please.

If you PM me with the VIN number I can email you the specification from ETOS, this tells you what was fitted from new :)

I have hill hold, if you stop on a slope above 5% and lift your foot off the brake it will stay put for 2 seconds :)

Thanks for your replies but with the auto stop start and dsg the engine switches off and then to go it seems to be a case off touch the accelerator, engine starts, release the hand brake and then the engine seems to die and nothing. I think I will have to find a quiet hill somewhere and practice.

Give it a bit of revs (not too much 1200rpm or so) before you release the hand brake when on hills. Once you feel the clutch biting just release the hand brake and off you go.

The DSG drives a lot like a conventional auto in nearly all situations, except hill starts......where it behaves a lot like a traditional manual, and the hand brake is definitely required....unless you have hill hold.  

• Like 1

Hill hold has to be engaged each time the car is started it's not automatic,

iirc all it does is put the front brakes on,

As you pull away you have a bit more resistance to overcome until the brakes release,

That's how it is in a Passat and I can't imagine it being any different in the Superb, hth.

Definitely don't need to do anything manually each time I start... On mine, it's just there. It holds the car for two seconds on an incline when I take my foot off the brake.

Stands corrected, there is no HH button in the Superb.

Lets have another go

"The engine does not kick in for seconds when needing to move off on a hill start and hence I roll.!

Are you trying this while stop/start is working i,e while the engine is off? if so it's too much of an ask to expect the engine to fire, the brakes to come off and plough on like normal all within a millisecond of each other, our mum has an Avensis and that tries to stall everytime on the EPB until you get used to it, simply letting the clutch out with no gas pedal and it pulls away easy, mad car.

"The iPod music seems to cut in and out on various speakers mid word sometimes."

Don't fill the Ipod up, leave 25% free space on it

"The stereo drops low for reversing (fine) but does not return to normal sound level when moving on again."

I'd imagine that's just how it is, if not it will be in the options menu somewhere near the speed volume options I would imagine.

Edited by Supurbia

If you know someone with VCDS it can be enabled on a face lift model. I did it on mine. I think that a DSG model, with stop start, without hill hold is borderline dangerous

Hill hold has to be engaged each time the car is started it's not automatic,

iirc all it does is put the front brakes on,

As you pull away you have a bit more resistance to overcome until the brakes release,

That's how it is in a Passat and I can't imagine it being any different in the Superb, hth.

You don't engage anything with hill hold, it keeps the brake pressure on for up to 3 seconds to give you a chance to pull away once you take your foot off the brake pedal. I think you are getting confused with auto hold on the Passat, which is a different feature, the Passat has both hill hold and auto hold. The Passat auto hold can also be set to be always on in the maxidot on later models - earlier models default to 'off' when turned off. Auto hold works a treat with DSG on the Passat, a shame the Superb doesn't have it. 

• Like 1

JohnnyOscar,

Have same car as you but 6 months older, as earlier posts have said the DSG, stop start and auto hill hold work well individually but when all three systems are in use the car effectivly needs the same driver input as a manual box. So heres what I do -

Pull up on hill with foot brake - stop start enguages (possibly) - still holding with foot brake

Apply hand brake

Gear selector to Park

Foot off foot brake  - Car will now sit happily and auto restart if necessary with out and driver intervention.

When ready to move off - irrespective of enging running or not

Foot on foot brake

Gear selector to Drive

RELEASE FOOT BRAKE - engine will now start if not already running (quick dab on foot brake again will not initiate start stop but will give you 3 second of hill hold for extra piece of mind)

Foot covering accelerator but not pressing down

Release hand brake WHEN ready to move at same time applying pressure to accelerator - VROOM away you go.

It really is just like a hill start in manual car BUT the car will sort the clutch operation for you so no roll backs :rofl:

Now then the iPOD, :wall:

I have mine connected via MDI lead under arm rest and have had trouble with it since day 1 although sound issues are not one of the problems I have had - I would suggest trying another MDI lead. My issues relate to the reconection of the iPod after ignition off, I generally have to unplug the MDI cable and then replug in 10 seconds later in order for it to connect with Columbus. I understand it to be a know issue that either the iPOD to socket lead is faulty or the long lead that runs from the socket under the arm rest to the back of Columbus can also cause issues. may be worth a dealer visit to get checked out. My dealer was unable to cure my connection issues and blamed my iPod for not having the most up to date firmware - so checked with iTunes and guess what - firmware bang up to date.!! :swear:

The volume level when reversing,

On Columbus various volume settings can be pre set (TONE button on bottom left - Volume settings) here you can set the start up volume as well as traffic and nav anouncements etc. The last option is for the PDC settings, here you could set the volme so that the radio etc does not get reduced when parking systems are active. On mine the system will not return to normal volume till parking system switches off when above a certain speed, this also seem sto be about the same speed as the auto door locking activates as well, I would guess at 5-10 mph. Other than that as suggested earlier the resume level may be able to be reconfigured withs VCDs.

If you have hill hold why are you bothering with the handbrake.

Also why are you going al the way up into Park? You can nudge the box into N then when you're ready to go again you can nudge it back to D without even needing to press the button on the side.

Phil

• Like 1

it seems that the bulk of the problem with pulling away is the stop/start. unless you do a lot of stopping and starting can't you just switch it off? Never been that convinced of it's green credentials unless you spend ages in urban traffic jams not to mention the wear and tear of swithcing off and on regularly.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about the "stop/start" feature, and maybe that is because it is early days of ownership still.... I agree with the above post, constant on and off can't be good for the car, or maybe that is just the way we think, modern technology etc... I also thought the car kicked out more pollution at start up.... 

I have used it, and I think that as it's the first car I have driven with it fitted, you think/worry it will not start again.... maybe just me :) I will carry on with it and see if I can get used to it, I suppose the post I read that said "ignore it and let it do what it does" will help Lol 

I did turn it off when I came to South Wales, because I believe after a high speed journey it is not good to turn off as soon as you stop, i.e 70mpg up a slip road and "off"

I agree about the problem of turning off a hot engine. Madness I say!

Additionally, as timing belt life is affected by starting the engine............

5th gear did a test on stop/start and in heavy urban traffic with lots of waiting at lights it delivered a 10% improvement in mpg. But who drives all the time in a queuing city centre? Better habits on the open road delivers better mpg gains with none of the wear and tear worries.

Think it's more about CO2 in urban areas rather than mpg.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Stop/Start was a way manufacturers could lower the CO2 figures, engine not running, no CO2.... I have read via the Institute of Advanced Motorists that it saves around 5% which is not to be sniffed at if you do high miles.. 

Wonder what % mpg improvements you get from stuff like making sure the tyres are inflated properly, boot's not full of heavy junk, getting Mrs to take the train and meet you there etc. Like all (ready for the grandad phrase - well I do drive a superb) new fangled car tech, presumably when it goes bad it costs £££ to fix and for not a lot of real world benefits.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Stop/Start was a way manufacturers could lower the CO2 figures, engine not running, no CO2.... I have read via the Institute of Advanced Motorists that it saves around 5% which is not to be sniffed at if you do high miles.. 

Though if you do high miles many of them are probably on the motorway..................................

• Like 1

Now then the iPOD, :wall:

I have mine connected via MDI lead under arm rest and have had trouble with it since day 1 although sound issues are not one of the problems I have had - I would suggest trying another MDI lead. My issues relate to the reconection of the iPod after ignition off, I generally have to unplug the MDI cable and then replug in 10 seconds later in order for it to connect with Columbus.

I had EXACTLY the same problems with iPod and my previous Mondeo, so I guess changing the lead doesn`t change a thing.

Edited by linni

why carry an ipod and a phone, stream the music from your phone. works flawlessly ,(unless though  its an iphone- I have read of lots of issues with them on this site)

Simple - I have a phone that makes calls and does nothing else - battery life > 7days, has large easy to use buttons - infact thinking about it it is a phone in the true sence of the word , not a micro pc with added telecoms system :happy:

• Like 1