WaveyDavey's Superb Twindoor

WaveyDavey

I think the digital cruise control is only on the facelift cars hence me having to settle for the Aussie speedo like yours Adz. There was talk of it being possible if your instrument cluster software was above a certain version but Simeon's, Damian's and my own are all newer than that required version and we still couldn't enable it on any of our cars.

• 1 month later...

Took the car in to Autohaus Dolby for a service on Monday (The day the service indicator was showing as 0 days left), I had discussed with Matt on an earlier visit there what service to give the car and after looking through it's history he suggested a major service this time around (It had only had an inspection and then a minor service previously).

Yet again impeccable service from the guys & girl there. Matt had been caught out by the colder than expected weather overnight and hadn't demisted the courtesy Up! so was very apologetic while we waited for it to demist. :) The service was done by midday (When i received the call i was thinking they had found an issue somewhere!!!) More advise from Matt on collecting the car regarding the fuel filter and to watch out for any leaking as this particular version of fuel filter had been prone to leaking after fitting in the past but Matt said they hadn't had any with issues for a long time.

It had been two years since its last service and i feel it seems smoother again now. Just waiting for the car to recalibrate itself and tell me when it's due the next service again now. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This arrived today along with just about everything else to go with it.... Just waiting for a pack of blade fuses to arrive then i should be able to get it installed tail end of next week when i'm off. :)

6F73C583-2645-42CC-BFE7-0987880DA960_zps

FD927B51-9D7A-4CC3-A3D5-8BAE17062E75_zps

Fitted the Mobius over the course of yesterday and this morning....Did the cabling, fuse box work and mounting bracket yesterday then left it overnight for the bracket's sticky pad to cure before fitting the camera this morning. Pretty much an easy install except for running the cable along the front of the headlining. 

The cable runs from the fusebox up the drivers 'A' pillar (Out of the way of the airbag that's in there) then across the top of the windscreen and down the side of the rearview mirror cable holder. All went well till the bit across the top of the windscreen.... The first two thirds of the way across from the 'A' pillar were fine and i managed to pull the headlining away enough to push the cable underneath but then towards the centre of the windscreen it became harder as it looks like when the windscreen was replaced at some point in the past the fitter has re-glued the headlining back up with what must be the worlds strongest ever glue!!!!! I managed to prise a little more away enough for the cable but ended up dabbing a couple of dots of strong glue to hold the cable in place up in the gap between the headlining and the windscreen for the last couple of inches.

I went for a 2m cable which i suspected would be long enough rather than having a 3m cable with loads of spare coiled up in the fuse box and it was just the right length with only maybe 10-12" of spare cable coiled up. This cable was also an up-angle USB lead so the lead comes out of the back of the Mobius and straight upwards which i think looks tidier.

I've been out today and have then checked the results and must say i'm very happy. The only thing i've noticed is a slight crackle sound which relates to when driving over very bumpy or rough sections of road so i'm assuming its the shock coming up through the car and windscreen and into the camera itself??? but other than that the sound is nice and clear.

So here's some pics of my install.....

The fuse box with the new  piggyback fuse holder and 12v supply with the 5v USB charger plugged into it then the USB lead feeding off to the camera.

image8_zps8ac091a1.jpg

image7_zps4667d884.jpg

The camera mounted behind the rearview mirror. You can just see where the cable stick out slightly near the mirror where i couldn't get it underneath the headlining although to see this you have to be leaning right up towards the screen and looking up and it cannot be seen at all from outside so nothing major.

image5_zps6ece5d19.jpg

image4_zpsb303a4b3.jpg

image3_zpsb82bae32.jpg

And the view from the driving position.... Nicely out of the way.

image6_zpsd26c71b9.jpg

And from the outside the only real giveaway is the area where the mount is stuck to the screen on the "3rd visor" dots with the camera just visible underneath.

image1_zpsce912755.jpg

image2_zpsdfc8cd3c.jpg

• Like 4

Nice tidy install that. How secure does the bracket seem on the "dots"?

Seems fine. It's a 3m sticky pad that comes on the bracket so should be good. In fact it's a good job i got it lined up first time cos it really took hold straight away.

Nice and tidy mate, well done.

Now.... When are you free?   :D

If you get one and want a hand installing it just let me know. Well worth the money (And they are on offer at the minute too) should the situation ever arise. The total cost including all the extra stuff needed to install it etc.... came to £86.95.

• Like 2

Some day and night footage with the camera running FW v2.33

The day one has me driving in and out of an underground car park so the brightness change can be seen. The night time one is mainly under white LED street lighting with a couple of pitch black country road stretches at 05:56 & 08:23.

• Like 4

I've dug the wife's old Asus eeePC netbook out as it's perfect for firmware updating without removing the camera from the car.

I've also got £20 worth of vouchers from Christmas still to use so I plan to call in at the Apple Store and just add another fiver and get the Lightning to SD card adapter so as to be able to view footage on my iPhone and iPad as required without having to use the PC at home.

Just realised how much worse the footage looks on YouTube compared to the actual file.... Even at 1080p on the YouTube clips above there are artefacts that aren't there on the original .mov file.

Nice install Dave.

I bought one of these instead, so I can have my phone and camera powered off the one plug, and saves having to install a bulky cig socket in the fuse box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390960385453?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$_12.JPG

I was going to get one of those but saw of issues with them not kicking out the correct voltage so went for the normal 12v socket and the low profile USB adapter. That way if the USB adapter goes it's a quick and easy swap out for a replacement.

I wasn't bothered about having the extra socket in that cubby either.

Had a play about with the advanced image settings on the Mobius the other day with some settings I'd seen online but having looked at the results today not impressed. I've put them back to default apart from a couple which I have changed very very slightly....

I hooked it up as a webcam to the eeePC today whilst still in the car but it was going dark so at some point over the next couple of days I'll hook it up again and change settings on the fly so to speak till I'm happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work.

I'm stealing using your shopping list to get everything together for my own installation planned for the Easter weekend. B)

Just a question on the Mobius, is it possible to turn off the sound recording?

Very smart indeed!! I like them a lot.

. :thumbup:

Part numbers & price?

Part number = 1Z2 064 205 (This is for the DSG there is a separate part number for a manual set of pedals)

£54.56 from Bickerton Skoda

And the 'how to' guide from the Yeti section I used to do the job...... http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/327338-stainless-steel-pedal-fitting-with-pics/

Easy enough job. The throttle pedal is an entire pedal swap out but the brake pedal is just a case of replacing the rubber cover.

• Like 1