IPad mini in a Yeti with Bolerc

Tosher

I have tried connecting my iPad mini to my Bolero in my Yeti so that my Freesat can be heard in the car.

It won't connect with bluetooth so I tried a wired connection using aux-in socket and a jack lead and that won't work either.

My main dealer couldn't, help and contacted Skoda Technical who totally misunderstood and said my Yeti didn't have sat nav fitted (doh!)

The car display on bluetooth says connected but I have no sound via the car and the ipad sound is also mute.

My ipad connects in my friends Toyota.

Is an iPad mini compatible with Skoda?

Well iphones are compatible and would assume the software to be identical...but who knows with Apple.

I am off to try my ipad (? I think it's a version 1)...and yes it connected OK. BT icon, battery condition all appeared in the MD.

Also played some music out through the Bolero Media.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Did you press the "BT Audio" button on the Bolero display?  When a device is connected as an audio source via bluetooth, you have to explicitly select it just like you do when selecting radio, CD or SD card.

[And: how on earth do you get Freesat (a free-to-air satellite television service) on an iPad?  Don't tell me you have a satellite dish on the roof of the car!]

I have tried connecting my iPad mini to my Bolero in my Yeti so that my Freesat can be heard in the car.

It won't connect with bluetooth so I tried a wired connection using aux-in socket and a jack lead and that won't work either.

My main dealer couldn't, help and contacted Skoda Technical who totally misunderstood and said my Yeti didn't have sat nav fitted (doh!)

The car display on bluetooth says connected but I have no sound via the car and the ipad sound is also mute.

My ipad connects in my friends Toyota.

Is an iPad mini compatible with Skoda?

Some of this doesn't make sense!

1/ How do you get Freesat on a iPad mini?

2/ Is your car equipped with the Blue Tooth module under the seat? Just because the Bolero says Bluetooth doesn't mean it is there, unless you paid for it.

3/ The Aux socket is nothing to do with Bluetooth. 

4/ Bolero units don't have Sat Nav!

Not everyone is a technical person. I thought this site was about helping and sharing. Sometimes I wonder!

Let the original poster have a chance to explain in their own terms.....we can then work on helping

Yes, the OP is a little confusing but he does state at one point: "The car display on bluetooth says connected",  I take "car display" to mean the Maxidot, which would then suggest that he does have bluetooth and that the iPad is connecting.  The question then is why he's not getting any sound from it through the Bolero, and the simplest answer is that the BT Audio button hasn't been pressed.  I freely admit that there might be a lot more to it than that, though.

I'm also wondering whether by "Freesat" the OP might have meant satellite navigation on the iPad, eg using Google maps or some other tablet-based navigation app.  If that's the case then I don't believe that they're going to have much luck.  IMO it's a handicap with the bluetooth audio system in the Yeti that the BT Audio button only lights up when there is actually audio coming through the bluetooth connection.  With a satnav app you only get sound when it's giving you directions so the Bolero tends to drop the BT Audio option during periods of silence, even when the device is still actually connected.  The only solution to this that I know of is to play music from the device all the time that you want to use satnav (you could have the music player app volume turned down quite low, so that the satnav directions would be adequately audible when they do cut in).  I have tried this and it seems to work, but I don't like having to have music on just to get the directions.

(I also note that the OP looks like a quote, so I'm wondering if they copied their question from another thread and had it answered there.)

• Like 1

My ipad works fine with the bolero via bluetooth; don't forget there are two bt pairing options - one for the phone the other for an audio device - check your manual for how to do it.

• Like 1

My ipad works fine with the bolero via bluetooth; don't forget there are two bt pairing options - one for the phone the other for an audio device - check your manual for how to do it.

One pairing should give you both options ie phone & audio, if the device supports both.  You shouldn't have to pair twice.  The fact that the iPad's internal speakers are silent when it's connected via bluetooth (as staed in the OP) strongly suggests that there is an audio connection.

I still reckon it's a case of (a) not selecting the BT Audio soft button on the Bolero screen, and/or (B) the Bolero only enabling the BT Audio button when there is an audio signal coming across the connection, and a satnav app will only supply audio intermittently.

• Like 1

One pairing should give you both options ie phone & audio, if the device supports both. You shouldn't have to pair twice. The fact that the iPad's internal speakers are silent when it's connected via bluetooth (as staed in the OP) strongly suggests that there is an audio connection.

I still reckon it's a case of (a) not selecting the BT Audio soft button on the Bolero screen, and/or (B) the Bolero only enabling the BT Audio button when there is an audio signal coming across the connection, and a satnav app will only supply audio intermittently.

One pairing will not work if the phone ( which is not the ipad) has been done previously - when the ipad is not the phone device you need to pair the audio device separately - I did it separately, that's maybe why my pad works just fine with the Bolero.... Edited by Steph64

Sorry chaps,I meant NAVFREE not Freesat.I am easily confused with such things that you can't take a spanner to.

I appreciate your replies and will try again with some of your suggestions.

I will get back as soon as I can.

Thanks all once again.

I have tried  again and I am still getting nowhere.

Just to put the record straight now that I'm on my laptop with a proper keyboard and not the ipad mini.

The ICE is a Bolero not a Bolerc(although the latter may be more appropriate)

I do have the bluetooth unit under the osf seat.The Freesat is actually NAVFREE on the iPad.

Yes I know aux in and bluetooth are not related or do the same thing.

I do not have the MDI function.

I have enabled the aux-in on the media screen and tried an ipod with jack lead and nothing happens.

I have enabled bluetooth on the media screen and the ipad is showing as connected but no sound from the car or the Ipad.

The iPad shows it is connected to the Skoda.

I don't know what the BT Radio or BT icon is (as suggested by some ) as I can't remember seeing it anywhere.Could this be my problem?.

I appreciate everyone trying to help but the reason for my delay in replying is that I am rather hectic with other things at the moment.

Thanks again

When the Bolero is on there should be 4 selections along the top of the screen, CD, SD, Media In and BT Audio. Do you have this ? 

• Like 1

I have been messing with the Bolero today connecting my 10+ year old MK 2 & 3 iPods through the MDI In etc but noticed everytime I put the ignition on the Ipad BT connected. It took me all of 10 minutes to ponder on that one. It's picking up the BT from the iPad which is mounted on the kitchen wall. The Yeti resides close to the kitchen and is about 5 metres away through a closed door. So the BT connection is pretty good.

• Like 1

I don't know what the BT Radio or BT icon is (as suggested by some ) as I can't remember seeing it anywhere.Could this be my problem?.

Along to the top of the Bolero's screen you should see four "buttons" marked CD, SD Card, AUX and BT-Audio.  The BT-Audio one will only be active (ie not greyed-out) when a device with bluetooth audio capability is connected and playing sound.  When the "button" is active, pressing it (ie tapping on it) should make the audio being streamed over the bluetooth connection come out of the Bolero's speakers.

I've never tried using the auxiliary input so I can't say for sure how it is supposed to work, but I suspect it will be similar to the way bluetooth audio works ie the "button" will only be active when there is sound coming through the interface, and you then have to press the "button" to make the audio come out through the speakers.

• Like 1

I just want to thank everyone who replied and especially "ejstubbs" and "DonjSZ5"

Have now managed to connected the iPad mini via Aux-in and Bluetooth and it sounds great.

I had somehow managed to miss the AUX and BT-Audio buttons!!!!!!

Just got to sort the electrical problem on the motorhome now before we go tomorrow!!!!!!!

Thanks again chaps and all the best.