Extended Warranty

As the title suggests, I'm looking at purchasing the Skoda Extended Warranty (5 years total including the 3 year standard warranty).

Has anyone else gone down this road or have any comments in respect of the same?

My train of thought is that with all the electronics on VAG cars nowadays (as well as some of the highlighted issues on this forum) this will be a prudent move and also help with the vehicle's resale if I decide to sell in a couple of years.

I know a lot of you are on 3 year PCP's so it won't really be relevant, but I'm sure some of you will have considered it.

• Like 2

I've got the 5 year/150.000km extended warranty. My thoughts were similar to yours and my main motivation for getting it was all the problems with the DSG7 and the fact that I was going to keep the car for 5 years and wanted to be covered during that whole time.

• Like 1

I've got the 5 year/150.000km extended warranty. My thoughts were similar to yours and my main motivation for getting it was all the problems with the DSG7 and the fact that I was going to keep the car for 5 years and wanted to be covered during that whole time.

Worried about DSG already.

No worries ,Skoda will cover it under the Goodwill system,just like the Fabia vRS  UNDER A SERVICE CAMPAIGN- it will never be a Recall issue, too much noise!

Trust them implicitly- get the 5 year warranty as you have done- good move in my book!

Are you talking about the additional warranty you can buy from Skoda at the time of purchase if you are the first registered owner? I thought you were buying a "used" Vrs if I understand your other threads on this forum? That class of warranty would not be available to you would it?

In my case I took out the +2 years extra warranty at the time of purchasing my new 1.4 TSI.

Several reasons:

- I hope to keep this Octavia for 5 years

- The level of cover provided is a lot better than you can get at the end of the three years from either Skoda or a third party warranty company

- If the DSG goes bang or the electronics start to play tricks, the rectification cost could be significant

- If I do sell before the end of the 5 years it probably will be privately, and as the balance of the warranty is transferrable, this might help support the asking price

- Price is very reasonable compared to what a third party warranty would cost at end of 3 years

No right answer to this question unfortunately.

Edited by Minimoke

I got 4 yr, 80,000 miles at time of purchase and considering upgrading to 100,000 miles as will probably get to 80k before the 4 yrs is up, and plan to sell somewhere between 80-100k.

I went for the 1 year extension (4 years total). I negotiated it in as part of the purchase. I would have paid regardless - no brainer. 

Edited by Farsider

Many thanks to all on this thread for their replies and comments… seems to be a fair few of us on the same wavelength, and it's confirmed my decision to purchase the Skoda extended warranty .

My situation is that I ordered my car on 14th December last year and it arrived at my stealer (which is a multi-brand/multi-franchise operation rather than a solus Skoda stealership) last month, but I'm not able to collect it until next Friday (18th).

At the time of ordering I specified the 2 year Skoda warranty extension as one of the options, only to be told that it wasn't available to us here in Jersey, but that I could take out one of their own extended warranty plans instead when the car was delivered.

With Jersey being autonomous, we are unable to benefit from certain financial, insurance and other similar products that are readily available to the UK market (for example those offered by Skoda Financial Services, such as the 0% deals), if the companies are not registered for the undertaking of such business with our own Financial Services Commission, so I put the lack of availability of the Skoda extended warranty down to this and didn't deem to question it further at that time.

On going to check over the car shortly after it's arrival last month and sort out the paperwork, I found out that the stealers own extended warranty plan is in excess of 80% higher than Skoda's (which I put down to the fact that they've created a 'blanket' policy to cover their entire brand/franchise range, which is everything from £7K Suzuki's to £90K Range Rovers).

I wasn't prepared to accept this, so a phone call to my ever helpful contact at SUK was made and a query logged regarding my stealers' comment about the Skoda extended warranty not being available to Jersey (Channel Island) customers, and I got the call I'd been waiting for yesterday to advise me that the stealer was talking bulls**t (although not in those exact words) and that I had every right to specify the Skoda product as it didn't fall in a category requiring Skoda Warranty Services to be registered for business in Jersey… so basically the stealer was pulling a fast one (i.e. lying) to punt their own exorbitantly priced extended warranty plan on which they make more money.

It has further emerged that although not a tangible item, the Skoda extended warranty plan can only be specified at the time of ordering and pre-production, and cannot be added once the car has been built (alike all the other options) and certainly not once the vehicle has been registered, which mine has, but that as my stealer has incorrectly denied me the opportunity to purchase the Skoda extended warranty at the time of order, there is a 'hack' they can do in the system to get it (re)instated as though I had.

Message for today would appear to be 'don't believe anything a salesman tells you'!!!

• Like 1

Interesting comment about ordering the warranty pre-production, my dealer told me they would be able to extend either the standard 3 year or the 4 year warranty that I purchased to a max of 5 years/100k as long as you purchase before the current warranty expires so there is continuous cover. Only risk you run is price rises, if you buy at time of order, you get inflation proof cover.

Edited by Matt Pez

Interesting comment about ordering the warranty pre-production, my dealer told me they would be able to extend either the standard 3 year or the 4 year warranty that I purchased to a max of 5 years/100k as long as you purchase before the current warranty expires so there is continuous cover. Only risk you run is price rises, if you buy at time of order, you get inflation proof cover.

Don't think the warranty has to be bought Pre-Production, It's Pre-Regestration

I was told that it had to be ordered before the car was built, by my Danish dealer. And everywhere on skoda.dk it does say that it needs to be specified when ordering the car/before it is built.

I was told that it had to be ordered before the car was built, by my Danish dealer. And everywhere on skoda.dk it does say that it needs to be specified when ordering the car/before it is built.

The wifes CitiGo was sat at the Docks, already built but not Sold. We extended to 5 years.

This subject was very recently discussed over on the Octy2 forum. There it was said that the warranty purchased before the end of the manufacturers warranty is NOT the same as extending at the time of registration. The T&C's are different. I have not checked the accuracy of that myself.

Search for thread "extended warranty do I dont I"

Edited by Minimoke

This subject was very recently discussed over on the Octy2 forum. There it was said that the warranty purchased before the end of the manufacturers warranty is NOT the same as extending at the time of registration. The T&C's are different. I have not checked the accuracy of that myself.

You are correct. My Octy 2 was an ex demo & when I enquired about extended warranty was told by Skoda UK that I would need to purchase dealer warranty as it was not part of the original purchase deal. That warranty was more expensive & covered less.

It was a fairly lengthy conversation I had with SUK and I understood the basics of the information I was given to be that it 'should' be specified at the time of order, but that it 'could' be retro-ordered up to the point of registration.

The Skoda extended warranty appears to be treated almost as though it's a physical part of the car, a factory fit item so to speak (makes you wonder whether it's one of those codes nobody can decipher on the little white sticker, or maybe the factory program the ECU to start making everything on the car fail after four or five years instead of three).

The 'hack' they described to get the warranty applied to the car on the system involved 'the de-registration of the car for a couple of minutes' (exact words) on the system.

You are correct. My Octy 2 was an ex demo & when I enquired about extended warranty was told by Skoda UK that I would need to purchase dealer warranty as it was not part of the original purchase deal. That warranty was more expensive & covered less.

This would seem to tie-up with the information I was given also.

The Warranty ordered with the car is apparently far more comprehensive (perhaps the factory ordered one being through Skoda CZ and anything after being through Skoda UK or a warranty partner).

...... so a phone call to my ever helpful contact at SUK was made and a query logged regarding my stealers' comment about the Skoda extended warranty not being available to Jersey (Channel Island) customers, and I got the call I'd been waiting for yesterday to advise me that the stealer was talking bulls**t ......

Message for today would appear to be 'don't believe anything a salesman tells you'!!!

Well, why am I not surprised when the THAT dealer is involved.

We bought a 1.6 TDI Polo from their Guernsey branch about 3 years ago.  It had terrible problems with the DPF blocking all the time (no auto- regen on that model). Stealer wanted to charge us a fortune every 3 - 4 weeks to regenerate it.  Cutting a very long story short, the handbook was the ace up my sleeve.  It stated the car needed to be driven at 45MPH for around 10 minutes to clear the DPF (impossible here - no long roads and a 35MPH speed limit) so  a letter to VWUK pointing out they wanted me to break the law was met with a replacement car (petrol) for SWMBO..

Another time the nipper's A4 had a faulty coil pack.  The same stealer wanted £120 plus labour to fix it so I told him to take it to Paul's Motors (local Skoda dealer) for a quote. They replaced all 4 as a precaution for £130 including labour.  We subsequently found out there was a recall to change coil packs for that model/year and the stealer should have done it FoC...... But no, they wanted to charge the nipper AND VW UK for the work.  Rogues!!

The only reason I bought my Fabia in 2007 was because I didn't want to deal with the local VAG agent.  I kept that car 7 years and will probably keep this one for a good 2 - 3 years, if not more, and have had only excellent service from Skoda and Paul's

Real moral of the story - no real consumer protection in the Channel Islands and rogues like you-know-who take advantage of it!

Edited by Smeghead

The Warranty ordered with the car is apparently far more comprehensive (perhaps the factory ordered one being through Skoda CZ and anything after being through Skoda UK or a warranty partner).

I believe the way it works is that CZ provides 4 of the years and UK the fifth year. Either way its effectively all Skoda. The other types of warranties are insurance based although I think a lot of the confusion over this arises because its Skoda owned/branded company.

The other point is that the true 4/5 year Skoda warranty comes without any paperwork because its recorded on the CZ factory computer. So its important to keep the dealer order/invoice as that is your only proof of the warranty.

Thank you Nookiebear for bringing this matter up. You have just made me extend my warranty from the 3 years to 5 years ( car not built yet ) ... I was going to wait till the 3 years was nearly up then add the 2 years on .. So good post ..

Sent from my Alan's iPhone .. :)

I believe the way it works is that CZ provides 4 of the years and UK the fifth year. Either way its effectively all Skoda. The other types of warranties are insurance based although I think a lot of the confusion over this arises because its Skoda owned/branded company.

The other point is that the true 4/5 year Skoda warranty comes without any paperwork because its recorded on the CZ factory computer. So its important to keep the dealer order/invoice as that is your only proof of the warranty.

Skoda UK sent me a letter stating the date when my extended warranty expires.

Skoda UK sent me a letter stating the date when my extended warranty expires.

Thats odd. I've never had a letter confirming the warranty extension on any new Skoda I have ever bought - I certainly did not get one for the latest Octy3 bought earlier this year.

I queried this lack of paperwork with Skoda UK (admittedly several years ago) when I purchased my wife's first Fabia. I was told then that they did not issue any contract or similar documentation at the time of purchase, but instead would contact me several months before the expiry date. They advised keeping the invoice as proof of purchase.  They in fact did write to me several years later before the warranty expired, and took the opportunity to offer me a dealer type warranty extension which I declined.

You've prompted me to phone Skoda UK next week to check their latest procedure.    

Edited by Minimoke