New car at dealers - How long now?

999pooch

Well my new Golf R is at the dealers, after being notified by the VW tracker system.

The down side is the dealer seems very vague about when I will get it delivered.

The car is going to be sent on a lorry as they are 200miles away, so all communication has been / will be by phone. Trouble is they never return calls or seem unable to tell me exactly when I will get it.

So, I thought I would ask you guys - how long does it normally take from delivery to dealers to me getting it? Assuming everything goes to plan :)

Forgot to mention it was delivered to the dealers 9 days ago, so would have thought they would be able to give me a rough guestimate by now.

I don't want to rush them, but need to arrange hiring a temp car as mine goes next week.

Most stealers......sorry DEALERS to keep the more sensitive ones to slang  happy :dull: ..... should be able to take delivery and get it pdi'd, cleaned and paperwork sorted within 48 working hours generally speaking I'd have thought.

Maybe it is the logistics of trailer delivery trying to get a full load or return load or maybe as simple as the delivery guy is on holiday. 200m is not that far go and collect it yourself at least you can inspect it before paying.

Maybe it is the logistics of trailer delivery trying to get a full load or return load or maybe as simple as the delivery guy is on holiday. 200m is not that far go and collect it yourself at least you can inspect it before paying.

My thought entirely.

As soon as my car was delivered to the <cough> Dealer, I shot over the water to inspect it the same day.

Sometimes you've got to put yourself out a bit and find the time when it comes to highly expensive purchases like this.

Messed my working day up a bit, but at least I i knew it wasn't damaged and was able to discuss delivery and other finer points, face to face.

Be a nice day out for you anyway, and a pleasant drive home in your new car too!

Edited by Mr Ree

For the sake of 200m i would go and pick it up

The car is on a 2 year lease @ 11k / year, so 200 miles will eat into that. I'm happy with them delivering it on the back of a lorry:)

Even if I wanted to pick it up, the question asked in my OP still being 'when?'

As I said, I understand there is a process to go through, but I am not in the loop :(

The car is on a 2 year lease @ 11k / year, so 200 miles will eat into that. I'm happy with them delivering it on the back of a lorry:)

Even if I wanted to pick it up, the question asked in my OP still being 'when?'

As I said, I understand there is a process to go through, but I am not in the loop :(

Can't help anymore then really.

Think we've all suggested as much as we can.

Just badger them

I intend to :)

Just was trying to find out off people roughly how long it took them to get their new car after it was delivered to the dealers.

Having only ever bought cars that have been in stock, and basicaly ready to go, I didn't want to have unrealistic expectations. Didn't want to badger the dealer if they are doing everything by the book, and I was just getting a bit excited over the prospect of my new car being so close :)

I intend to :)

Just was trying to find out off people roughly how long it took them to get their new car after it was delivered to the dealers.

Having only ever bought cars that have been in stock, and basicaly ready to go, I didn't want to have unrealistic expectations. Didn't want to badger the dealer if they are doing everything by the book, and I was just getting a bit excited over the prospect of my new car being so close :)

Couple of weeks just sitting there  is a bit unreasonable if you've told them you're ready and waiting.

Forgot to mention it was delivered to the dealers 9 days ago, so would have thought they would be able to give me a rough guestimate by now.

I don't want to rush them, but need to arrange hiring a temp car as mine goes next week.

Stuff that. Sounds like they need a flamin' bomb stuffing down their kecks imo.

TELL them that if it's not delivered this week, then you're going to charge them for a hire car.  :devil:

Yet another sad example of a stealer not really giving a jot

Edited by Mr Ree

No excuse for not being straight with you and responding to your calls.  

Ring them tomorrow and tell them you are in the area and will call to have a look at it if you have time.  If they start making excuses you know something's up.

I assume this is your underlying concern.  

The one time I had a new car mysteriously delayed, it eventually turned up with one front wing in a slightly different shade of white.  It was a company car so I reported it to the company and forgot about it, but had it been a private buy I would have been upset.  And probably unable to do much about it either, other than getting them to 'rectify' it.

We might be surprised at the number of new cars that need some 'rectification' before delivery, including some damaged at the dealer.  

No excuse for not being straight with you and responding to your calls.  

Ring them tomorrow and tell them you are in the area and will call to have a look at it if you have time.  If they start making excuses you know something's up.

I assume this is your underlying concern.  

The one time I had a new car mysteriously delayed, it eventually turned up with one front wing in a slightly different shade of white.  It was a company car so I reported it to the company and forgot about it, but had it been a private buy I would have been upset.  And probably unable to do much about it either, other than getting them to 'rectify' it.

We might be surprised at the number of new cars that need some 'rectification' before delivery, including some damaged at the dealer.  

I see it virtually every week in my job , and that's at just my customers which is a tiny  percentage of the number of garages out there.

Horrible treatment by some. 

Car can be turned round the same day if needs be, delivered off transporter, straight into workshop for PDI and road test, the into Valet bay for cleaning.

Been done a few times at work now.

So to have it for 9 days and still not giving you a delivery date is unexceptable, phone them and try and speak to someone, say you will hold until the right person is free to speak to you.

As for delivery company not having space, we never have to wait more than a few days to get space on a transporter.

• Like 1

Car can be turned round the same day if needs be, delivered off transporter, straight into workshop for PDI and road test, the into Valet bay for cleaning.

Been done a few times at work now.

So to have it for 9 days and still not giving you a delivery date is unexceptable, phone them and try and speak to someone, say you will hold until the right person is free to speak to you.

As for delivery company not having space, we never have to wait more than a few days to get space on a transporter.

What about registration with DVLA and taxing it, could that hold it up?

What about registration with DVLA and taxing it, could that hold it up?

Thats a point, it's not like they can walk in to local office and do it there and then any more. I wonder what the score is on that front right enough? Only thing worse than waiting for a new car you have ordered, is waiting for it once you know it's bloody sat there at the dealers :( I hope she lands down with you soon. Don't be afraid to get your phone out and film it being taken off lorry in HD and an immediate slow walk around for damage, anything that might have happened or been missed by driver etc. Plus you can share it with us :D 

Just a thought.

Not waiting for a 'cherished plate' transfer are you, 'cus I know they can really hold things up sometimes?

Nope, just a boggo standard registration. Just had a thought that those wonderful peeps at DVLA could be dragging their feet.

Going to ring first thing tomorrow & find out what's going on.

1 more sleep :D

Nope, just a boggo standard registration. Just had a thought that those wonderful peeps at DVLA could be dragging their feet.

Going to ring first thing tomorrow & find out what's going on.

1 more sleep :D

We wait in anticipation for a positive outcome then.

DON'T take any nonsense or more stalling tactics  from them.  :devil:

I'm not familiar with it, and will happily be corrected if I have it wrong, but I believe dealers generally use the 'Automated First Registration and Licensing system (AFRL) rather than posting things off to DVLA or trotting along to the local office (now all closed down I think). 

DVLA print and send out the tax discs but they can be sent either to the dealer or to the registered keeper, and there is a dispensation for newly registered cars to be used without displaying a tax disc for up to 14 days.

I believe the dealer still needs a physical insurance certificate though. 

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with it, and will happily be corrected if I have it wrong, but I believe dealers generally use the 'Automated First Registration and Licensing system (AFRL) rather than posting things off to DVLA or trotting along to the local office (now all closed down I think). 

DVLA print and send out the tax discs but they can be sent either to the dealer or to the registered keeper, and there is a dispensation for newly registered cars to be used without displaying a tax disc for up to 14 days.

I believe the dealer still needs a physical insurance certificate though. 

I still think the DVLA have to approve everything before the registration can be released and assigned to the car it is going on. Saw our car at the dealer the day after it was delivered but its turning over to us was delayed due to the registration issue. The fact we've only had the tax disc on the two week mark suggests there could be some truth in the reason for delaying a new car delivery. We signed a waiver confirming we had insurance before leaving the forecourt, no certificate was required. 

• Like 1

Did you place the order directly with the dealer?

If you didn't, you are the bottom of the pile when it comes to their attention. You aren't even their customer.

If you placed the order with them, then get on the phone and keep asking for someone more senior until you get some answers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk