What I discover/didn't know about the car

I had this thread in another forum and i tot i bring it over here to bring awareness of the small but interesting thing which we might not know about our car. Applicable to other cars that shared the same function. 

Let me start with a few:-

1) Paddle shift. Hold the + and it will switch back from manual to Auto shift

2) Auto Zoom on map for Columbus. Press the zoom buttom and set to auto "A". Map will zoom in and out depending on your speed when navigating. 

Untitled-1.jpg

3) Dimmer adjustment next to light cluster not only does light intensity of instrument cluster but also the 2 cat eye near to sunglass holder and the led light at the door opener. 

67e31ac0.jpg

4) both side mirror are heated mirror

5) holding the lock / unlock button on remote auto wind up and down all window. Those with sunroof will be tilt 

up as well. 

6) hold lock button on remote control and side mirror will auto fold

7) Auto Park Assist: to parallel part on left, turn signal indicator to left. Default is right side

8) For Superb combi. Sunblind will auto close after car is parked for more than 2hours

9) Comfort indicator. Default is 3 blink when you flick the signal stalk instead of pushing it into the gate. Can be turn on or off via MFD/Maxidot. 

10) combi rear door can only auto open. Cannot close using button inside car or key fob but can be vagcom to enable auto open and close

11) steering column can pull in/out and up/down

12) switch to M and instead of changing gears manually via the paddle controls, the GB will automatically upshift once you hit red-line and downshift when the revs have dropped below the gear's range

13) Torch Light inside the boot of Combi have magnetic base. can be attached to car body during repair or tyre change

14) Umbrella slot on rear (left) passenger door have drainage for wet umbrella. Umbrella is also automatic that does open and closing. Self charging when you retract the umbrella. 

15) Footwell light control (Not all Superb have this enabled) Adjust the light intensity of footwell light when all doors are close so that footwell remain lighted during your journey

d8e0df0b.jpg4ee008a3.jpg

16) Corner fog which turn on according to where your steering wheel is turning. So don't be alarm when friends tell you one of your fog light is down. Either Left and Right fog will also come on when Left and Right signal light is triggered. 

17) Regular Intermittent wipe available one notch up from auto wiper. 

18) SD card only play MP3. doesn't play video files. want to watch video, use DVD

19) alternate speed display in mph. unclick that in MFD and it will show outside temp. 

20) Horn cannot be use until ignition is on. So shout loud loud if you are parked and someone reverse into you. 

21) MY12 Superb, the fuel flap cannot be closed if the car is locked while the fuel flap is opened. 

22) Service wiper (for car wash or to change wiper) For non kessy and kessy car, turn the car on without firing the engine, push wiper stalk down and wiper will move up. For myself on non-kessy car, i will turn the car on and off, then push the wiper down. See which one work for u. 

23) Memory seat auto retract when leaving car. Need to enable this in Vagcom. (see Post 76 for details)

24) Headlights will automatically switch on when car reaches 160km/h, and stays on even when car has stopped. (Switch need to be at Auto mode for this to come on).

25) Can pre-lock car using key fob once driver door is closed. All other doors will lock automatically as and when they are closed. Indicator lights will blink once when the last door is closed.

26) Signal light will override hazard light

27) Hazard light will come on or blinking brake light if you do a hard E-Brake

28) For those that experienced wing mirror not able to fold upon pressing constantly on the key fob, or that 1 of the window is not able to wind up (the other 3 moving ok) upon pressing teh key fob, you can reset it but "manually" pressing the non-moving window down all the way and up again. There after try on the key fob again and thing shall be back to normal. 

29) when car is lock using key fob, door is deadlock and cannot be open via door handle even if your passenger pull from inside the car. 

Please add on if you have other self discovery. 

Nothing is too trivial in this thread to shared, so open up and post what you know

• Like 4

As far as #29 is concerned, pressing the lock button on the remote once deadlocks the car in this way but if you press it twice the deadlocks are not engaged.

Hi,

#24 if not mistaken lights auto on at 135km ~85mph but you need to travel at above this speed constantly for a couple of minutes..... if you have the 1.4tsi it might be the time it take you to get from 135 to 160km/h LOL.....  :D

like #23 #25 and #26 good to know....

surely there must be more!  A simple way to get speed cameras on Sat Nav would be nice.... not been able to do :(

Discovered by accident today - 

If you push down and hold the window-button, the one push full close/open will be disabled.
To enable again, pull up and hold the button.

Works with individual windows, most likely only from buttons at drivers door.

• Like 2

Discovered by accident today -

If you push down and hold the window-button, the one push full close/open will be disabled.

To enable again, pull up and hold the button.

Works with individual windows, most likely only from buttons at drivers door.

Useful one to know alright. It might save an unnecessary trip to the dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Useful one to know alright. It might save an unnecessary trip to the dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to add that I tried reproducing it after I wrote the message, but could not reproduce the modus-change. Might have been something else I did.

I was fiddling with the windows (it's really hot here right now.) and somehow the auto-open/closing of the drivers door got turned off.

Tried it a few times with no change, but after closing it and keeping the button in closing position a few seconds, it was back to normal.

• Like 1

Was your engine turn off when you try the window switch? The one touch up and down only work when car is turn on.

If u off your car but before opening the door, u can still wind up and down the window but it's not one touch.

Once the door is opened, the window can't be wind anymore til the key is turn to on.

Pretty sure it was turned on, the one touch thing worked for all other windows then the drivers window all the time.

BTW: KESSY have been acting up for some time, I had to open/close the car with the fob and the car would say it did not find the key/KESSY faulty(but start anyways). After I got a new alternator it works as it should. My guess it that the reason is that the battery have been disconnected and that it got fixed in the reboot when it got back power.

As far as #29 is concerned, pressing the lock button on the remote once deadlocks the car in this way but if you press it twice the deadlocks are not engaged.

Is that the right way round, I always double press and hold on the 2nd press to fold the mirrors?

Is that the right way round, I always double press and hold on the 2nd press to fold the mirrors?

Press and hold on the first press only to fold mirrors and lock car. Second press = no deadlocks, but the mirrors will still fold.

Press and hold on the first press only to fold mirrors and lock car. Second press = no deadlocks, but the mirrors will still fold.

yep - just double checked my manual as I have the habit of double pressing the lock button as all my previous cars had this as the deadlock mode - the Superb is definitely deadlock on 1 press. 

Hi,

yes this is correct, I sat in the car on the drive testing as I had not known other cars to do this - set the alarm of a few times to keep the neighbours awake LOL!

Appears that all VAG cars are like this!

LOL I was thinking of doing the same but you've saved me the trouble :*

All other have cars I've had have always been 2nd click to Deadlock, I thought that was a safety feature so that you didn't accidentally lock someone in the car, oh well better get in to the habit of Single clicking then, probably gonna be as hard as when I stopped smoking, wonder if Skoda do any patches ;)

Edited by EyghonUK

Hi Sony,

With regard to being able to automatically retract the drivers seat wheh getting out of the car you say to refer to post 76 for more details.Could please tell me how I get to post 76. Its probably very easy when you know how but never having used this forum very often I just do not have a clue.

Thanks for all the useful information you have provided.

Regards Keith

Hi Sony,

With regard to being able to automatically retract the drivers seat wheh getting out of the car you say to refer to post 76 for more details.Could please tell me how I get to post 76. Its probably very easy when you know how but never having used this forum very often I just do not have a clue.

Regards Keith

23) Memory seat auto retract when leaving car. Need to enable this in Vagcom. (see Post 76 for details)

You can enable this with VCDS (Vagcom), in module 36 (Seat Memory Driver), go to Adaptation (10), then change channel 60 to 1.

Explained in detail here;

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/easy-entry-exit-memory-seat-function-mk5-vw/

Edited by Too Tall

Hi Sony,

Regards Keith

Hi,

Apologies. I ported this from another forum. That function was hot linked to another post where I provided the steps

Too Tall have since provided u the steps