Confessions of an Oil user.

I consider comments about bringing down residuals in mk2 vRS as plainly devoid of any logic, sense and reason.

Look at ANY high dealer price tag luxury car with large engine, after 3 years almost al of them loose more than 50% of the RRP value  :D

Some people have just no clue whatsoever really... |You buy a new car you shed thousands the moment you leave the dealership, just a fact of life.

Yeti's are bucking the trend as they hold their values incredibly, some other models from other brands do the same. Vast majority of cars loose a min of 30% within first year or two.

Don't want to take a hit? Buy an used car and stop whining!

I personally do not find threads with known faults depressing or anything like that, it's just information and the "depressing" bit is in reader's head I am afraid.

There is plenty of discussions here regarding modification, 0-60 times, track days, photoshoots and all sorts...

But nowhere near what it used to be like. Briskoda used to be a happy place years ago, despite leaky doors, coil pack faults and more serious issues it was just more fun. I'm not the only member to notice this and I've been here a fair while.

• Like 3

Martyn, fair enough, don't have your mileage here so I will take your word for it :)

I think George should create a sticky thread where all info is gathered together with all interested members contributing.

I'd start it from listing production figures for each model from VAG, some failure figures, some general info on the engine and then how to deal with problems. Oil test info (how much 1ltr o foil weights etc), dealer procedures, contact info for SUK etc.

For for no real structure :)

Start at VAG / SKODA UK, now that would, I think, be a much better idea. Problem not created by George and Sidekick.

I think that you may have your pants on the wrong way  round .Sidekick has a name, by the way ,as I'm sure you have seen it enough times, when you were  poaching your knowledge on troubled Fabia vRS' and their owners.

Have you considered suing George and his sidekick?

I am sure that they would be able to produce data to back up their non-stop attack on the vRS - OR NOT!

vxh26,

There will be no more dialogue from me to you, as I have had a gut full.

Hope you take pleasure in your new wheels, when you get them, whatever you get

Bye.

vrskeith

Edited by vrskeith

Ally,

I apologise for my negative input into your thread, over the last day.

However, I just wish certain contributors would read and take on board full  content of postings and not just quote snips to use against  individuals.

This doesn't reflect a posters real views or indeed positivity for the marc.

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 3

There's a;ways one like that around. It cracked me up when he suggested that weighing oil is pointless, and how would you know how much oil is in the car etc and the best way is to look at the dipstick - that did it for me really. What was the cherry on the cake was an insinuation that oil use information on briskie actually contributes to lowering used vRS residual value and suggestion to sue members here  :sweat:  :wall:  :@  - straight from the land of fairies!

• Like 3

What is wrong with that person vxh26???

He is a rather odd individual who has plagued this forum recently since you have been taking your extended break away mate. Has rubbed quite a few people up the wrong way which I strongly suspect is his prime motivation for being on the forum in the first place.

My advice to all would be to ignore him from here on in. Do not 'like' his posts, do not quote them either and don't bother to reply or engage him in conversation. I suspect he will then get bored and move on to another forum...... hopefully! :-)

• Like 3

it is not the type car to buy and put fuel in untill the next service . 

I had a 59 plate Octy vRS CR TDi and thats exactly what I did. In just under 3 years I did 120k with never a moments problem until the last 10 miles of ownership when the water pump failed. Never once put any oil in it. Was serviced when needed, first was at 24k!! 

To be fair, this proves that VAG can make an engine that goes forever IMHO  :clap:

Well that was exactly my point skoda use engines that have been proven good by others the 2.0 turbo petrol and diesel both excellent engines but 170 and 200/220 bhp are not groundbreaking for the size lots of other manufacturers producing similar or more with less emissions. Where the 1.4 @180 bhp in my view is just a little firecracker with reasonable running costs to boot.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Got my car serviced at just over 29000 miles. Oil was changed and topped up correctly. (Filled to top of hatched when hot) as an experiment I wanted to see how many miles it would take until the orange 'check oil level' symbol came on. Having used the car for its normal commuting duties and extra curricular blasts... She did 3000 miles until the light bonged on.

Was fairly surprised by the figure, I was expecting 2000, 2500 max. When it came to top up time I dipped the oil when hot and found the level to be around 2mm lower than the bottom of the hatched area. I measured out and pored in 700ml of oil and then re-dipped. I found the level to be 3/4 of the way up the dipstick.

I didn't want to put anymore in so I left it for a bit and hoovered the car and cleaned the interior as planned. After 20 minutes I checked the dipstick and found the level to be pretty much bang on the top of the hatched area!

Further proof that the dipstick is useless and caution needs to be taken when topping up!

• Like 2

Ally,

I've only just come across this thread. I agree with the points you make in your first post. I check my oil and top up in much the same manner as you do. My second engine uses oil but at a rate that is acceptable to me. My first engine used too much oil. Despite this and some other significant issues with the car, I have always received appropriate back up and good will from the dealer and Skoda UK. I plan to keep my vRS (owned for 3 years) for a while longer since I still enjoy driving it.

• Like 2