I need more power!

How deep are your pockets would be the question? (as in what are you prepared to spend to get to where you want it)

I find modifying cars is addictive and the thing with power is you soon get used to it and want more.

They can be taken to 190/200bhp quite easily and relatively cheaply but if you then want to go above that, it starts to get expensive!

Suugestions welcome please. The car has been remapped but I think that its probably only in the region of 160bhp. I could do with another 40 or so.

You can probably get a turbo on a manifold with a few incidentals for £600 give or take a bit.  This will give you around 200bhp.  Then you need to have the car remapped to suit.

Once past that kind of figure you'll spend more than double because of the supporting mods needed like an uprated intercooler, clutch, downpipe etc...

You can probably get a turbo on a manifold with a few incidentals for £600 give or take a bit.  This will give you around 200bhp.  Then you need to have the car remapped to suit.

Once past that kind of figure you'll spend more than double because of the supporting mods needed like an uprated intercooler, clutch, downpipe etc...

All I want is "around" 200hp Richard. I can hang on to a lot of cars but they edge away on the straights (circuit dependant) or if they are a bright GOLD GTR they go past like im driving to the shops. Would the standard exhaust and intercooler be ok with the bigger turbo other than just strangle it?

How deep are your pockets would be the question? (as in what are you prepared to spend to get to where you want it)

I find modifying cars is addictive and the thing with power is you soon get used to it and want more.

They can be taken to 190/200bhp quite easily and relatively cheaply but if you then want to go above that, it starts to get expensive!

Im basically quite tight. I have owned diesel powered cars for 12 years.... You are right though, it is addictive but I know that I will draw the line at a bigger turbo and manifold. I think...

All I want is "around" 200hp Richard. I can hang on to a lot of cars but they edge away on the straights (circuit dependant) or if they are a bright GOLD GTR they go past like im driving to the shops. Would the standard exhaust and intercooler be ok with the bigger turbo other than just strangle it?

It's commonly accepted that up to around 200bhp or so the stock clutch, intercooler, downpipe/exhaust etc.. are OK.

Problem is over that you hit the limit of the intercooler, then clutch, then injectors and so forth.

In your position I would personally buy a GTB1756 on a cast manifold from Xman750 for £500, plus a bit extra for oil line and a couple of incidentals.

That'll handle 220bhp, but you can have it mapped to around 200-210bhp in order to save upgrading everything else.

It'll pull well and not give you clutch issues with a smooth map unless you drive like a loon.

Some people prefer the GTB2260 at that power level which is a close call and personal opinion.

A bigger capacity turbo that is almost as good in spool and stronger at the top end of the rev range.

It's commonly accepted that up to around 200bhp or so the stock clutch, intercooler, downpipe/exhaust etc.. are OK.

Problem is over that you hit the limit of the intercooler, then clutch, then injectors and so forth.

In your position I would personally buy a GTB1756 on a cast manifold from Xman750 for £500, plus a bit extra for oil line and a couple of incidentals.

That'll handle 220bhp, but you can have it mapped to around 200-210bhp in order to save upgrading everything else.

It'll pull well and not give you clutch issues with a smooth map unless you drive like a loon.

Some people prefer the GTB2260 at that power level which is a close call and personal opinion.

A bigger capacity turbo that is almost as good in spool and stronger at the top end of the rev range.

The GTB1756 option sounds ideal Richard. The clutch is brand new and never gets harmed in first gear. Even second gear is only ever abused for fun on the road. (safety and condition being good of course) On track I have only ever ended up using 3rd, 4th and 5th. Personally I think the car could handle a slightly taller diff and a limited slip would be a bonus. When I had the gearbox changed I looked at the quaife option but decided against it due to funds. I wish now that I had just done it.

The GTB1756 option sounds ideal Richard. The clutch is brand new and never gets harmed in first gear. Even second gear is only ever abused for fun on the road. (safety and condition being good of course) On track I have only ever ended up using 3rd, 4th and 5th. Personally I think the car could handle a slightly taller diff and a limited slip would be a bonus. When I had the gearbox changed I looked at the quaife option but decided against it due to funds. I wish now that I had just done it.

If you do an LSD in future get the Wavetrac.

It's better in my opinion. (and my car had the Quaife)

• Like 1

Standard intercooler will be no good for 200bhp if you're using it on track days. I heat soaked my mapped 130 turbo on a warm track day and sent the car into limp mode. Updated needed for track days if going past 170-ish or you'll just be down on power after a few laps and you'll be annoyed you spent money on a new turbo to go slower than before after a few laps lol

Edited by tommccabevRS
  • Like 1

Standard intercooler will be no good for 200bhp if you're using it on track days. I heat soaked my mapped 130 turbo on a warm track day and sent the car into limp mode. Updated needed for track days if going past 170-ish or you'll just be down on power after a few laps and you'll be annoyed you spent money on a new turbo to go slower than before after a few laps lol

Thank you, all info is greatly received.

But remember bigger turbos flow much so less boost can be requested. So if you had a gtb requesting same boost levels as a remapped pd130 than heat will be the same but power is increased. I believe around 190bhp could be achieved with 1.5/1.6bar of boost using a gtb1756vk. With a gtb22 you might get 200bhp.

But yes the standard intercooler is far from ideal. Stock you can easily get it up to 90c on a quick 3rd, 4th gear blast. A pd150 intercooler is around 40c with a gtb2260 running 2.3bar.

The BLT's do have a map where by as intake temps rise boost request is lowered. This map isn't used in a ASZ. I sure this taking effect the other week on a fabia I was mapping with a pd150 turbo.

• Like 1

If you were on a budget, couldn't you just rig up some sort of water/alcohol sprayer in front of the intercooler to keep it cool on track days. Probably only cost a few quid in second hand parts.    

Not at all saying you're wrong faboka because I know you know you're stuff but if it was me and I was going down the GTB route I wouldn't want to run the standard side mount intercooler put it that way, especially when being used on track like the OP will be. I run a 150 turbo and was running it a while without an intercooler- it was ok but would start too slow down after a good back road blast, soon as I put the seat sport on it was a lot better and pulled a lot better top end.

Sure someone does an uprated side mount for fairly cheap and they say that'l run 230bhp safely maybe worth looking into that.

I agree it's not up to its job, just saying it's an option which would be no worse than a standard remapped pd130 intake temp wise. You just have more power with a turbo that isn't being pushed :)

• Like 1

When are you looking to buy?

My seat sport might be up for sale cheap soon, it will be the intercooler on it's how though. However I can help you sort out the pipework.

just custom mount a FMIC

can be done for around £150 or less

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/silicone-hose

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/hose-joiners

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-FRONT-MOUNT-INTERCOOLER-Small-550x140x65mm-UK-/171266344476?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27e045061c

90deg 57mm-50mm bend off turbo (cut original fitting and fit 90deg)

45deg bend 2" alloy pipe off the above

then another 90deg bend and straight alloy pipe 2" for 600mm (2x300mm straight silicone joiner in middle)

then 180deg bend 2" into side of intercooler (with 1x reducers 57-50mm silicone joiners & 1x 2" straight silicone joiner)

then where your old intercooler is, the end from new intercooler you want a 45deg bend 57mm off intercooler then straight alloy pipe about 250mm 2.25"long then another 45deg joiner 57mm straight onto the flange fitting that comes off top the standard intercooler pipe secure with jubilee clips

the only thing is to get a hole and flange fitted for the MAP sensor, but i do believe someone sells them ready to be welded on

and of course you can go the while hog and replace all the pipework from the old intercooler pipework to the inlet but not sure what is required as i just did the above on my old fabia vrs running hybrid turbo and 1.8bar inlet temps got to 35deg max with ambient temps of around 18deg with a sustained blast from 3rd to 6th

just custom mount a FMIC

can be done for around £160

Possibly if you retain some standard hoses?

The EGR coupler and turbo coupler were quite expensive for mine saying that I'm going to sell the turbo coupler on now I've got the 1756!

Change to a hybrid turbo and get a fresh remap. Simples.

You don't need anything else for 200bhp. You could paint your nuts purple but it won't make any difference.

whats the difference between a normal pd130 turbo and a hybrid one??

whats the difference between a normal pd130 turbo and a hybrid one??

A hybrid has a larger compressor wheel and housing mated to the standard PD130 exhaust turbine, housing and VNT mechanism, so it's a hybrid of a standard turbo and a larger one, gives more boost at higher RPM allowing for a higher power output, more RPM = more power, peak torque is usually similar to standard so the clutch doesn't suffer.

• Like 1