Fitting 19's

That someone was me, those Speedlines fitted on my VRS but had to roll down the arches.

I'm now running on 19's 8.5Jx19, ET35 all round with no issues. I've fitted 215/35/19 on fronts and 225/35/19 on rears.

post-109843-0-52872000-1406416099_thumb.jpg

post-109843-0-46648500-1406416111_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't really need to flare/pull mine. I rolled the a little bit thou. BMW X5 19"s

2014-05-14131937_zps9039eb8f.jpg

DSCF0677_zpsda2abe3c.jpg

Mind you, that is on the floor  :rofl:

That looks horrible.  The tyres aren't even probably seated on the rims.  I'm astonished that any reputable tyre fitter would 'fit' those tyres to those rims.  You actually drive on the road with that set-up?

That looks horrible.  The tyres aren't even probably seated on the rims.  I'm astonished that any reputable tyre fitter would 'fit' those tyres to those rims.  You actually drive on the road with that set-up?

I know it's not to every ones liking, But yes, Driven daily.

• Like 1

Looks awesome!

Nowt wrong with how those tyres are fitted and nothing at all wrong with a bit of stretch.

Drift cars run it with no issues and there a damn sight harder driven than most road cars ever will be!

Looks awesome!

Nowt wrong with how those tyres are fitted and nothing at all wrong with a bit of stretch.

Drift cars run it with no issues and there a damn sight harder driven than most road cars ever will be!

If you are so sure the way those tyres are fitted is OK then drive the car to the nearest traffic police depot and ask their opinion.  Do you think the tyre manufacturers' recommendations regarding rim size to tyre width are just randomly pulled out of a hat?  The recommendations are arrived at after extensive testing and are designed to provide the best possible performance (grip, tyre life, etc.) and safety.

I fail to see what the owner of that car has gained over fitting narrower rims.  it certainly hasn't provided better road holding only the ability to excessively lower the car so only done to 'improve' (in his opinion) the look of the car.  Has the tyre/rim size been declared for insurance purposes?  My insurance company would definitely refuse to insure that car as they will refuse to insure any car where the fitted wheel/tyre combination is not on the car manufacturer's approved list. 

This will be my last post on the subject of stretched tyres (who thought 'hurrah'?).  My background in engineering and design has instilled in me the mantra of 'function fulfilled first, followed by form' and stretched tyres are obviously for looks with no thought as to function.

• Like 1

Mine are exactly the same and it's passed an mot and be looked over by police at local meets and nothing wrong. If it was then there would be no shows cars running stretch etc.

I agree it's not for everyone and extreme stretch does look ridiculous, but minimal stretch isn't going to cause issues.

• Like 2

Looks awesome!

If you want to compare to cars used only on the track then compare to Formula One - 13" wheels and high profile tyres!

That looks horrible. The tyres aren't even probably seated on the rims. I'm astonished that any reputable tyre fitter would 'fit' those tyres to those rims. You actually drive on the road with that set-up?

Oh do shut you anorak, you don't like stretched tyres, we get it....

are you a tyre developer or a traffic officer?? Your giving your opinion based simply on the fact you don't like the look of it, I like many others have ran stretched tyre for years with no problems, from MOT'ers or police.

Edited by _redders_
  • Like 3

"Stretched tyres are obviously for looks with no thought as to function."

Well, I do need rubber in order to move the car. Wouldnt handle so well without them!

What I've gained over normal tyres on the front, is a mich bigger foot print. As for the rear, I've gained a little bit of camber... but when I switch the airride on and lift it up off the deck, I gain a full foot print on the road again.

I do understand that such tyres are not to *everyones* taste and I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But,

I didn't do this for anyone else other than myself. Its what I wanted to do, So I did it. Yes my insurance knows. Yes my local plod knows. Yes its passed MOT with no problem.

• Like 3

ignoring the stretch tyre argument (i think it looks cool by the way, but would worry about handling tyre wear etc), what would be the correct size of 19" tyres and rims for a standard no rubbing fittment?.

cheers

8x18 et51 and 225/40/18 I think are standard.

I know james with the blue fl on air runs 8.5x19's but unsure on et and tyre. redders is on 9x20's and volf is on 9 & 10x19's.

It's a lot to do with the wheels et more than the width I'd say

Never before been called an anorak.  :D  I don't even own one!

You're right, I don't like stretched tyres or anything else not used within its design parameters.

No I am not a tyre developer or traffic officer, although one friend is a tyre engineer and another a test driver for Michelin.  My opinion is NOT solely based on the fact I don't like the look of stretched tyres (although I don't); my opinion is also based on the extremes to which some owners take it, e.g., tyres so much too narrow for the rims that the tyre side wall does not even contact the side rim of the wheel.  Next time I meet one of the couple of traffic policemen that I know I will show them the photo from #26 and ask their opinion (though I assume you won't be interested in knowing what it is).

I would. There's no lar that states you can't stretch tyres and that they are illegal in which case your policemen friends will tell you. All they are concerned with is if the tyres make contact/scrub on the bodywork which is when it starts getting to be a police matter

It seems this thread has turned into a battle of personal opinions as appose to helping the guy with his original question. I personally am not a fan of stretch if I pay what can be sometimes a small fortune for larger wider wheels I'd use the correct size tyre to provide the most grip I can get out of that extra wheel width. That said I'm not gonna start preaching why every one should do the same.

• Like 3

To add to the tyre stretch debate, I was on the fence to begin with. I ended up running some 19x9 on my previous car and they came with 215/35s on, seemed to drive ok on them other than being a bit harsh on the crappy roads of Sheffield. Eventually though at low speed on a cold snowy evening I managed to knock the bead off one on an unsighted pothole which knocked my duck off a bit, imagined if that was at a higher speed say on the motorway (we all know even they have the odd hole here and there) ended up sticking 225/35s on just to feel more comfortable after that. Also run 225/40s on my 18x9s which still have the slightest bit of stretch but they haven't caused me a single problem. So personally I'd still go for a little if I wanted to get a certain wheel on but nothing daft.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the minimal stretch. But if on a show car it can look good with a nice bit of stretch but overdone can look terrible.