-40mm Octavia 4x4

H&R offers lowering springs that will lower my 1.8 estate 4x4 by 40mm.

What do you guys think about the looks of 40mm lowering? Is it too much?

How much lower is that compared to a stock vrs?

The vRS is 12mm lower than the normal Octy (13mm on the Estate).
So you will be 27mm lower than a vRS. Given IMO the vRS still has a hefty arch gap I reckon you'll be good.

• Like 1

But isn't the 4x4 slightly higher than a 2wd to start with? So it'll not be quite as much as 27 mm below vRS. It'll still be good though. In fact I quite like the idea of a lowered 4x4!

Mine is lowered on H&R springs, quite a noticeable difference (vRS estate).

From before and after measurements, although the stated drop on H&R 28833-2's is 40mm on standard and 25mm on vRS, mine has dropped about 34-35mm… perfect in my opinion and looks as the car should be.

With regards to the 4x4, first thing I'd want to find out is if the shock absorbers are the same as the standard cars.

As some have questioned, doesn't the 4x4 have a higher ride height?… and if so do the shock absorbers have the travel to accommodate 40mm of lowering?

Skoda hasn't raised the ride height for the four-wheel-drive models, but they come with a more sophisticated rear suspension set-up than other Octavia Estates, and offer a composed ride. That said, even the standard front-wheel-drive cars soak up most bumps with ease. - See more at: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/skoda/octavia/2013-skoda-octavia-estate-review/1201843#sthash.UVojgDqN.dpuf

It looks as it has the same ride height as the 2wd.

The 4x4 rear suspension setup is the same as the vRS (albeit with a different height) - it's a multi link setup for reference. It gives superior grip but was added on the 4x4 simply as a driven rear axle is impossible on the torsion beam setup on the non-vRS 2wd models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by josedebardi

Ride height depends on your spec with the Mk3 4x4.

In the UK it comes the same height as a regular O3, unless you tick the box for Rough Road Pack and pay a bit more.

So.......

.......depends whether you're lowering a raised one or not. I daresay the build codes should be able to tell you if you don't know.

Niall

A friend of mine has just made his HR and b8 setup. Looks great, but i think slightly low on the back

8bd888cs-480.jpg

You may click on some pics here: http://www.drive2.ru/l/4198146/

Optical illusion… will always tend to look lower on the back as the front arches are generally higher to allow for turn clearance of the steered wheels.

Surely if you change the springs then you need revised damping as they are no longer matched ?

Also, what happens to the wheel alignment ? I'm think castor angles etc

Maybe it's a case of form over function but i'd be worried about having a worse handling car.  

Steve

• Like 1

Surely if you change the springs then you need revised damping as they are no longer matched ?

Also, what happens to the wheel alignment ? I'm think castor angles etc

Maybe it's a case of form over function but i'd be worried about having a worse handling car.  

Steve

I agree, and this is why when I lower cars I go for coil overs as then the springs match the dampers, however, the penalty for not changing the dampers is not actually that bad with a small drop like this (people that slam are obviously mad!). Handling shouldn't be affected too much, and likely will actually improve. You should get a full 4 wheel alignment done after the drop, and then a few weeks later again once the springs have settled as well.

Edited by josedebardi

I don't know how it woorks in the Uk, but here in No®way we don't get it approwed unless you get a full 4 weel alignment done. To get it in the registration documents you have to bring the receipt down to the registration office and let them go over the car and approwe it.

I don't know how it woorks in the Uk, but here in No®way we don't get it approwed unless you get a full 4 weel alignment done. To get it in the registration documents you have to bring the receipt down to the registration office and let them go over the car and approwe it.

In the UK you can do what you want! There have been mutterings of maybe changing the rules on modifications to be more stringent (like Germany and as you say Norway).

In the UK you can do what you want! There have been mutterings of maybe changing the rules on modifications to be more stringent (like Germany and as you say Norway).

I don't think that's a bad thing, even if they are insured (which I doubt) there are some people driving with pretty dangerous mods to their cars.

My opinion of course, but if your car is lowered so much you have to practically stop at a speed bump then you shouldn't be on the road.

I don't think that's a bad thing, even if they are insured (which I doubt) there are some people driving with pretty dangerous mods to their cars.

My opinion of course, but if your car is lowered so much you have to practically stop at a speed bump then you shouldn't be on the road.

Totally agree. Just if they do make a change to the rules it will undoubtedly be completely over the top and make mods almost impossible.

Totally agree. Just if they do make a change to the rules it will undoubtedly be completely over the top and make mods almost impossible.

Indeed, for instance I'm totally for helping protect kids from viewing things online that they shouldn't see. But then the government takes it 10 steps too far and forces ISPs to block things including lots of legitimate sites... Quite a few spotted **** recipes blocked which makes me chuckle but is also deeply worrying of what's to come.

I have a 1.8TSI DSG FWD I can measure later. The 4x4 Ive spotted are visually higher than mine though, so I'm fairly confident that they are higher as standard. Anyways except a harsh ride from that thing if you drop it by 40mm. I have owned other cars that became very hard once you drop them that much.

Edited by johnabrahamsen