Cyclist rant

Gwilo

If only 2 people a year die because of bikes, I'm guessing that doesn't include those who ride like idiots and then get mown down.

I think you could argue that anyone that goes up the inside of an indicating artic (I have seen it) is up for a darwin award.

• Like 4

If only 2 people a year die because of bikes, I'm guessing that doesn't include those who ride like idiots and then get mown down.

I think you could argue that anyone that goes up the inside of an indicating artic (I have seen it) is up for a darwin award.

Not just artics.

Anyone here who knows the geography of Bristol will be familiar with Gloucester Road and the junction with Ashley Down Road.

Two lanes, left turn only in the left lane.

Sit there signalling left and watch the number of cyclists who will scream past you on your inside through a red light and go straight on.

So, ignore the left turn only sign, ignore the red light and ignore the 2 tonne vehicle signalling left whilst undertaking.........although the area is home to a high proportion of students so that might explain things.

Not just artics.

Anyone here who knows the geography of Bristol will be familiar with Gloucester Road and the junction with Ashley Down Road.

Two lanes, left turn only in the left lane.

Sit there signalling left and watch the number of cyclists who will scream past you on your inside through a red light and go straight on.

So, ignore the left turn only sign, ignore the red light and ignore the 2 tonne vehicle signalling left whilst undertaking.........although the area is home to a high proportion of students so that might explain things.

Know it well. Yes it's true, but I think we may have already covered bristol as having special cyclists.

• Like 1

Instead of guessing why not look it up, the Government keeps stats on this type of thing.

A study produced by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) in 2009 showed that risky cycling behaviour was rarely a factor in collisions where cyclists suffered serious injury.

HV

Instead of guessing why not look it up, the Government keeps stats on this type of thing.

A study produced by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) in 2009 showed that risky cycling behaviour was rarely a factor in collisions where cyclists suffered serious injury.

HV

What about pedestrians?

I can help out here........

From 2008 to 2012(inclusive), out of the total numbers of pedestrians killed in single vehicle collisions with vehicles in any location/area(i.e. in the road or on the footway, urban and rural), cycles were involved in about 0.4% of fatalities (9 people) and around 1.4% of serious injuries (359 people), while cars were involved in about 68% of pedestrian fatalities (1 361 people), and 81% of pedestrian serious injuries (21 005 people).

Unlike driving, a great deal of cycling takes place in areas of high pedestrian activity, but it poses far less risk to pedestrians than motor vehicles.

Of course the above statistics are no comfort whatsoever to relatives of anyone killed by a motor vehicle or cyclist.

• Like 1

Ré government figures, I stopped trusting them several years ago after they were caught manipulating them to "prove" speeding was the main cause of car accidents.

This thread is going around in circles; it boils down to this :-

SOME DRIVERS ARE ARSEHOLES - AND SO ARE SOME CYCLISTS.

• Like 2

HV

So why do cyclists go up the inside of lorries and end up spread all over the road?

If the bike wasn't there they wouldn't be dead.

Sure some of the cases the bike will have been overtaken by the lorry and that's clearly a fault, however you regularly see bikes going up the inside of lorries and buses in London.

It's putting yourself at a large and unnecessary risk and strongly tending towards Darwinism.

their footage. Like this bloke. Watch a few of his videos if you are in any doubt as to his intentions.

Blimey, that guy's right numpty!  In my view he's nothing but an attention seeker who is provoking confrontation and needs to learn some proper road craft.  I couldn't bear to watch many more of his videos.

HV

I managed to pass a young lady in a 107 several times in traffic the other day. It infuriated her so much that at the next set of lights she yelled right to the left to impede my progress. Left a lot of room on the right :D

I managed to pass a young lady in a 107 several times in traffic the other day. It infuriated her so much that at the next set of lights she yelled right to the left to impede my progress. Left a lot of room on the right :D

Ballcocks!! If you'd actually been making better progress than she was, she couldn't have overtaken you several times.

I managed to pass a young lady in a 107 several times in traffic the other day. It infuriated her so much that at the next set of lights she yelled right to the left to impede my progress.

Since when have car or other vehicle drivers been obliged to drive several feet out from the kerb to allow cyclists to overtake them up the inside?

In town I drive, and will continue to drive well into the left hand side and close to parked, stationary cars to permit free flow of traffic coming in the opposite direction.

As for the "leave the same space for overtaking bikes as you would a car"  in town traffic at walking pace that would be about 300 mm between the wing mirrors. If you can't fit through that, wait in line. If I pass you with that spacing, what makes you think that I am likely to hit you ? - I don't go around clipping other cars continually.

Or are cyclists incapable of riding in a straight line?

As for the "leave the same space for overtaking bikes as you would a car"  in town traffic at walking pace that would be about 300 mm between the wing mirrors. If you can't fit through that, wait in line. If I pass you with that spacing, what makes you think that I am likely to hit you ? - I don't go around clipping other cars continually.

Have you tried cycling along a road with debris/potholes/poor road repairs/sidewinds close(ish) to the kerb? If you did you would understand why having extra space (1m) when passing a cycle is needed. 

I've been forced into potholes when car's don't give enough space when pulling over, on 1 occasion it caused a pinch flat in both my tyres at 20mph, I came very close to sliding under his car yet somehome it was my fault for sliding into him!

Side winds can also cause problems, especially when in the countryside and passing farm gates with large hedges either side, again the cyclist can prepare for the gust of wind coming up but if a car is too close then there is nothing we can do about being blown sideways.

All that said, I rarely filter in town traffic as I personally don't see the point in playing cat/mouse with cars/buses/lorries at traffic lights

ps.. I cycle approx. 4000miles per year & now ride a motorcycle about 6000miles per year which also suffers from the same pothole/poor road surface/sidewind problems

Since when have car or other vehicle drivers been obliged to drive several feet out from the kerb to allow cyclists to overtake them up the inside?

In town I drive, and will continue to drive well into the left hand side and close to parked, stationary cars to permit free flow of traffic coming in the opposite direction.

As for the "leave the same space for overtaking bikes as you would a car" in town traffic at walking pace that would be about 300 mm between the wing mirrors. If you can't fit through that, wait in line. If I pass you with that spacing, what makes you think that I am likely to hit you ? - I don't go around clipping other cars continually.

Two things.

1) I've pointed out someone's alteration in behaviour in a given scenario simply because of an attitude problem

2) I don't clip cars in the same way you don't mow over every cyclist.

My point initially and seemingly lost on both Ken and yourself, is that we can rant all we want about certain road users. Fact is there are concentrations of cn uts using the roads and they're not limited to a singular mode of transport. Cycle through Birmingham and see how any people walk into cycle lanes without looking.

Passed me a couple of times, came to the next traffic queue where she was held up. Not hard to imagine.

So, because your velocity varied less, you think you were going faster, even though by your own admission you'd been at the same distance from the point where the 2 of you first saw each other several times? 

i can't stand cyclists! if they cycle 2 a breast i purposly get as close as possible then as i'm passing drop to 4th and cover them in the black reek currently spewing out the back of my VRS, i refuse to put my life of the life of my passengers in danger by moving into oncoming traffic to suit people who don't even pay to use the road! most of the time they aren't wearing helmets or high viz and the road worthness of their bikes are very questionable. as said in another post, i have been know to get out my car and have it out with some of the complete idiots i've seen! when one cycled into the side of my celica after running a red light, i got out asked if he was alright to which he replied yes as he was getting back on his bike, so i grabbed the back wheel and held it until the police arrived. they didn't even do anything about it! so i had to get another door out my own pocket!

They should be made to obtain a cycling licence, mot their bikes pay tax and have valid insurance! then the goverment wouldn't need to milk motorists even more!!!!!

Two things.

1) I've pointed out someone's alteration in behaviour in a given scenario simply because of an attitude problem

2) I don't clip cars in the same way you don't mow over every cyclist.

My point initially and seemingly lost on both Ken and yourself, is that we can rant all we want about certain road users. Fact is there are concentrations of cn uts using the roads and they're not limited to a singular mode of transport. Cycle through Birmingham and see how any people walk into cycle lanes without looking.

Really? Given that I thought your claim was that you were going faster than her, perhaps you need to address your rhetorical style then?

So, because your velocity varied less, you think you were going faster, even though by your own admission you'd been at the same distance from the point where the 2 of you first saw each other several times? 

That's what happens between two different modes of transport and most seem to be able to accept that.  The point sparks03 was making that he noticed a change in this driver's behaviour to prevent his continued progress (he didn't mention going faster).

I've had the same thing happen to me on my motorbike, some drivers just like to vent their frustrations on others to the point of pettiness.

HV

i can't stand cyclists! if they cycle 2 a breast i purposly get as close as possible then as i'm passing drop to 4th and cover them in the black reek currently spewing out the back of my VRS, i refuse to put my life of the life of my passengers in danger by moving into oncoming traffic to suit people who don't even pay to use the road! most of the time they aren't wearing helmets or high viz and the road worthness of their bikes are very questionable. as said in another post, i have been know to get out my car and have it out with some of the complete idiots i've seen! when one cycled into the side of my celica after running a red light, i got out asked if he was alright to which he replied yes as he was getting back on his bike, so i grabbed the back wheel and held it until the police arrived. they didn't even do anything about it! so i had to get another door out my own pocket!

They should be made to obtain a cycling licence, mot their bikes pay tax and have valid insurance! then the goverment wouldn't need to milk motorists even more!!!!!

Cyclist are allowed to ride 2 abreast (I don't always agree with it in places), if you have to drive into oncoming traffic then it's NOT safe to pass, why deliberately try to injure a cyclist because your not driving sensibly??  (Read up on what VED is, then you might realise it's not for who is allowed to use the road!)

The road worthiness of bikes is NO worse than some of the cars on the road (spewing out black reek!!!!!)

I agree, cyclists should have to sit mandatory training to ride on the roads. What is the point in the MOT for bikes if cars can be in a bad state too?  Everyone who pays Council Tax pays to use the roads or do you mean VED for the emissions on cars that you pay for?  You will also find there are a lot of cyclists who do have insurance, not just for theft but also to cover the motorists like you who seem determined to bully cyclists!

I don't blame you for doing what you did to the cyclist who jumped the red light, I hate it when I see 'anyone' jumping red lights

• Like 2

I'm not sure if you're trolling or you really believe this crap.

HV

• Like 1