Fabia vrs timing belt and water pump change

Hi

I have a few questions regarding timing belt replacement.

My fabia vrs has done 79,000 miles and the timing belt was last changed at 47,000 in 2010.

1) is it recommended that I should have this done now? (2014)

2) Is it recommended to buy genuine parts? or is there high quality aftermarket parts that are just as good and cheaper? 

3) If I was to order genuine new parts from skoda then does the timing belt come as a kit including the tensioners or is it just the belt? I would assume the water pump is a separate item.

4) Will I need part numbers for these? belt, water pump and tensioners

I'm trying to work out if I should buy the parts myself, or just get my mechanic to source them (aftermarket) and get a price for the job lot. 

Thanks

Hi

I have a few questions regarding timing belt replacement.

My fabia vrs has done 79,000 miles and the timing belt was last changed at 47,000 in 2010.

1) is it recommended that I should have this done now? (2014)

Its every 4 years I understand. Get it done

2) Is it recommended to buy genuine parts? or is there high quality aftermarket parts that are just as good and cheaper? 

I would use genuine parts. I heard Skoda offer a 2 year guarantee on the parts? I might be wrong.

3) If I was to order genuine new parts from skoda then does the timing belt come as a kit including the tensioners or is it just the belt? I would assume the water pump is a separate item.

Pass but would have thought the kit includes tensioners

4) Will I need part numbers for these? belt, water pump and tensioners

Pass.

I'm trying to work out if I should buy the parts myself, or just get my mechanic to source them (aftermarket) and get a price for the job lot. 

Thanks

For info, I got quoted today; genuine water pump and belt kit fitted, dealer £380, Independent £340

For info, I got quoted today; genuine water pump and belt kit fitted, dealer £380, Independent £340

Thanks for your reply.

I found this thread on the forum regarding DIY belt change on a vrs:  Fabia vrs timing belt change diy

The individual oem part numbers are as follows (VRS 1.9 TDI)

Timing belt:    038109119P

Tensioner:     038109243M

Relay Roller: 038109244J

Water Pump: 045121011HX

Aux Belt:        ??

And im not sure if some stretch bolts are required? if somebody could clarify that would be great.

Engine mount bolts:  N90628303

N10286205

I've also read that the oem waterpump has a plastic impeller, and that a pump using cast metal may be better...

Thanks 

Gates kits are very good, cheaper kits have chocolate tensioners, what you've read about the water pump is true, the engine mount bolts are not needed because they don't really stretch, just tightem 'em up with a big bar until you feel your sphincter start to loosen.

Gates kits are very good, cheaper kits have chocolate tensioners, what you've read about the water pump is true, the engine mount bolts are not needed because they don't really stretch, just tightem 'em up with a big bar until you feel your sphincter start to loosen.

Thanks, where do you get gates kits from? Ive had a look on eurocarparts and they don't do them, for the vrs anyway. Best i could see was an SKF kit.

I get them from my local motor factors, I ask for them by name, they come from the firm with the turquoise vans that used to be called Ferraris, I still call them that but can't remember what they're calling themselves these days.

I bought my timing belt today, I chose SKF since they are tried and tested! Full kit with Water pump was £64+ vat.

Dayco seem to be the most common with parts suppliers having fitted quite a lot now and never had any problems. Dayco also do an extra long life belt with Kevlar coating or somthing. I think it's continental that do a lifetime belt also.

The backing plate with the ear that holds the spring tension is made of cheese, I've had one that couldn't take the tension without bending and I've never trusted them since, the metal is just too thin, if you look at the OEM tensioner backing plate it's twice as thick and tempered so it can't bend.

Wasn't on a vauxhall was it? Z19DTH engine?

I've experienced the small metal lug that has tension on for the spring break off taking the tension off and destroying the rockers.

That's not to say whoever fitted the belt didn't over tension it or fit it wrong, just the only belt failure I've seen in my whopping 4 years in the trade haha

I've just been informed that the Gates kit with waterpump has a plastic impeller.

So the question is, will it be fine using the plastic impeller in Gates kit, or would it be best to get the belt kit without pump and source one separately with metal impeller?

Edited by silver_fox

I think this one has been done to death if you search, I can't quite recall but there is an increased risk with metal impellors ? Not of breaking but jamming or something apparently ?

Or is it something to do with potential damage to engine if the bits break off? Someone no doubt can clarify.

If its a quality item then why should it break plastic or not. Mines OEM and plastic and still on the car and done 115K, although its just about due to be changed.

For the price and hassle of it, its got to be more worthwhile to just have it done by the dealer - its cheap compared to some.

Snake oil science, metal impellor is better cos it sounds tougher ?

Well there is a bit more to it than that - like reactivity / resistance to corrosion.

http://www.blauparts.com/audi_water_pump_replacement/audi_water_pump_plastic_impeller_controversy.html

I'd rather go for OEM rather than aftermarket with metal IMO.

• Like 1

I think im going to go for a Gates kit including water pump and hopefully that'll be the end of it. Like you said previously this topic has been done to death when you search using the right keywords. And after much reading of metal vs plastic impeller related threads, it seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The cheapest I found the Gates kit was here  (at time of writing)- in stock, free delivery, and PayPal. They responded to my emails really quickly and was helpful.

• Like 1

I think im going to go for a Gates kit including water pump and hopefully that'll be the end of it. Like you said previously this topic has been done to death when you search using the right keywords. And after much reading of metal vs plastic impeller related threads, it seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other.

The cheapest I found the Gates kit was here  (at time of writing)- in stock, free delivery, and PayPal. They responded to my emails really quickly and was helpful.

That's a great price, buy it, fit it, forget about it.

To be honest the great water pump controversy is a load of old crap, I fit whichever pump comes with the kit, some are are metal, some are plastic, a nice new water pump will always be better than the old one.

• Like 1

I get them from my local motor factors, I ask for them by name, they come from the firm with the turquoise vans that used to be called Ferraris, I still call them that but can't remember what they're calling themselves these days.

They are called FPS FERRARI PISTON SERVICES. we have a depot in Sheffield

Daz