Please help loosing coolant

Hi guys,

just wandering if anyone knows or has had this problem and could possibly give me some advice.

As simply as I can put it if I have a spirited drive coolant will leak out of the overflow on the expansion tank. The temp gauage does not move at all.

Thank you all in advance chris

The temp gauge is lazy. It will mostly always read 90. I had the same issue and it was my head gasket. Just going around town was fine but as soon as I put my foot down it would lose coolant.

It gets slight head lift. There is a few things you can do. Change the head gasket for one. Some have got away with doing a 90 degrees turn on all the head bolts and some have changed the head bolts for the ARL ones.

Thanks danny 6189....its literally only just started doing it thought I'd try and catch it early. Why have people changed the bolts for the arl ones, I should ask wjat the arl ones are first lol.

Is it a nightmare to change the head gasket on these?

Not a nightmare but not easy and required quite a few tools (1.4 mpi 6v engine)

We tried new gaskets all round and a new cylinder head but still have issues of coolant loss and oil in coolant.

Not a nightmare but not easy and required quite a few tools (1.4 mpi 6v engine)

We tried new gaskets all round and a new cylinder head but still have issues of coolant loss and oil in coolant.

Ahh ok well i have no oil in coolant or milking of the oil so I think iv caught it early. Fingers crossed it's the gasket then and that sorts it.

Thanks danny 6189....its literally only just started doing it thought I'd try and catch it early. Why have people changed the bolts for the arl ones, I should ask wjat the arl ones are first lol.

Is it a nightmare to change the head gasket on these?

People have changed their head bolts for ARL versions as they have a higher tensile strength, resulting in a stronger clamping down of the head to prevent headlift and in some cases coolant loss.

You can get even stronger head bolts again from ARP, and you can reuse them, unlike ARL head bolts.

I am running the ARL head bolts on my car, got them fitted prior to my hybrid turbo fitting and mapping as to prevent the above running more boost, and mines only a tiddly hybrid. HTH

• Like 1

People have changed their head bolts for ARL versions as they have a higher tensile strength, resulting in a stronger clamping down of the head to prevent headlift and in some cases coolant loss.

You can get even stronger head bolts again from ARP, and you can reuse them, unlike ARL head bolts.

I am running the ARL head bolts on my car, got them fitted prior to my hybrid turbo fitting and mapping as to prevent the above running more boost, and mines only a tiddly hybrid. HTH

thank you very much buddy so where do I get these stronger bolts from? Head skimmed obviously can you get deeper gaskets or uprated gaskets? thank you

Skimming the heads in these engines will result for low gains if you ever want to upgrade in the future, best avoided.

low gains??? what difference would this make when upgrading in the future???

Ok so now a debate and confusion should I skim the head or not.....The car hasn't ever over heated so would there be a need to skim? Also does anyone know where the arl head bolts come from?

I have been told by several tuners now that when trying to map cars, that have had the head skimmed on these engines, they just dont produce the power they should. Why that is they couldnt work out as on other cars it didnt seem to make a difference.

My Head-gasket is messing around at the moment, going to tighten up the bolts and go from there. If this doesnt work it will be bye bye 1.9tdi engine and hello upgrade :D

Ok so now a debate and confusion should I skim the head or not.....The car hasn't ever over heated so would there be a need to skim? Also does anyone know where the arl head bolts come from?

No, you don't need to skim, ARL bolts are just PD150 headbolts rather than PD130.

I have been told by several tuners now that when trying to map cars, that have had the head skimmed on these engines, they just dont produce the power they should. Why that is they couldnt work out as on other cars it didnt seem to make a difference.

My Head-gasket is messing around at the moment, going to tighten up the bolts and go from there. If this doesnt work it will be bye bye 1.9tdi engine and hello upgrade :D

skim if need be and thicker head gasket

Chris- have you tried a sniff test to check for head problems. Then if it's head, remember that head has cambelt connecting head and block, which has to come off. And if cam moves when not connected =engine borked.

Edited by VWD

So on this people are talking of a thicker head gasket where do I get one from please?

And is there anything else I should maybe change/check whilst I'm in there.

Thank you all for your time

Chris- have you tried a sniff test to check for head problems. Then if it's head, remember that head has cambelt connecting head and block, which has to come off. And if cam moves when not connected =engine borked.

how and what is a sniff test? How's the test done (i know by smelling the exhaust but wjat would i be smelling for?

how and what is a sniff test? How's the test done (i know by smelling the exhaust but wjat would i be smelling for?

Don't sniff the exhaust unless you want to try and kill yourself :o

A sniff test is done via the coolant expansion tank