Chips away or not?

Chips away, or any paint repair service should be able to manage most of that. Check on feedback for your local one though, as they are a franchised setup and operators can vary a bit.

Hope you get it sorted okay.

• Like 1

Id say not....well you'd not get a perfect finish anyway.

Its the broken reflector thats the trickiest part, cant see how that could be fixed unless somehow it can be replaced in its entirety.

If it were me Id take the knock and either get it fixed somewhere decent for cash of get it done on insurance.

The quote from Chips Away isn't as bad as I was anticipating at £306.

That is to repair and respray the bumper, and source & replace the reflector and exhaust surround (both coming direct from Skoda).

The reflector itself is split into four parts so it doesn't all need replacing, it's only £6.94 and the exhaust surround £43.35.

The rest is labour to sort the bumper and re-fit the plastics. Just awaiting another quote from a local VAG approved repairer, may be slightly more expensive but at least they are properly approved.

Check on feedback for your local one though, as they are a franchised setup and operators can vary a bit.

Whether this counts for much or not I don't know, but they won franchise of the year.........2011 :D

• Like 1

The quote from Chips Away isn't as bad as I was anticipating at £306.

That is to repair and respray the bumper, and source & replace the reflector and exhaust surround (both coming direct from Skoda).

The reflector itself is split into four parts so it doesn't all need replacing, it's only £6.94 and the exhaust surround £43.35.

The rest is labour to sort the bumper and re-fit the plastics. Just awaiting another quote from a local VAG approved repairer, may be slightly more expensive but at least they are properly approved.

Whether this counts for much or not I don't know, but they won franchise of the year.........2011 :D

Thats pretty good. Interesting to see the reflector and exhaust surrounds are replaceable.

My only concern is that these franchises really can vary in quality of workmanship; with damage requiring a fair bit of spend like this id always be inclined to get it done properly.

Just a quick question as I'm from another part of the Europe entirely. Don't you have car insurance for this? It is extremely strange to me that you don't have a car insured for this. Even if you'd have to pay for a part of the damage yourself it'd just be some percentage of the whole cost.

I'm really interested if anyone cares to explain.

Just a quick question as I'm from another part of the Europe entirely. Don't you have car insurance for this? It is extremely strange to me that you don't have a car insured for this. Even if you'd have to pay for a part of the damage yourself it'd just be some percentage of the whole cost.

I'm really interested if anyone cares to explain.

My car insurance would cover this, but as I'm only 24 my excess is quite high at £250, it would effect my no claims discount and in the long run I would be paying a lot more than the £300 of work that needs doing.

If it was £6-700+ then I would consider claiming, but I'd rather just pay it myself with the current cost.

• Like 1

At last, a benefit to the cosmetic exhaust trim. If it was connected to the exhaust, you'd have to be inspecting that too!

I've had work done several times by ChipsAway in the past, first class, but like others have said, it's all very dependent on the quality of the local operator.

Good luck.

Someone crashed into the back of me last night and damaged pretty much the same area shown in your photo but with quite a bit more damage (scratches not cracks) to the actually body coloured bumper part. The bit between the exhausts in black...Is that the £43.35 part you mention? That was the only part missing from the estimate I got earlier.

At last, a benefit to the cosmetic exhaust trim. If it was connected to the exhaust, you'd have to be inspecting that too!

I've had work done several times by ChipsAway in the past, first class, but like others have said, it's all very dependent on the quality of the local operator.

Good luck.

I must say the ones local to me do look good and their reviews aren't bad either. They had three cars in this morning and all were Audi's and the job on those looked top notch. I'll await some more quotes and see what's what.

The one thing they do offer is a lifetime warranty on their work so if there are problems I would take it back.

Someone crashed into the back of me last night and damaged pretty much the same area shown in your photo but with quite a bit more damage (scratches not cracks) to the actually body coloured bumper part. The bit between the exhausts in black...Is that the £43.35 part you mention? That was the only part missing from the estimate I got earlier.

Yeah that's the one. Any damage on those parts it's pretty much unrepairable due to the dimple effect and it would also be nigh-on impossible to get a colour match.

Yes that's what they said - unrepairable. I assumed (wrongly) the whole bumper was one piece.

I made that assumption too but fortunately they are seperate parts!! I'd've been looking at a lot bigger bill if it needed a new bumper.

I might have followed you into work today, couple of cars back. I work in Telford and haven't seen many race blue Octy III cars, or any at all for that matter.

Cool where in Telford was it and what sort of time?

Hmm about 07:45 on the road up from Buildwas where the traffic lights are. The blue VRS went straight onto the EP but I went left to horsehay.

Not me which means there must be another O3 lurking about! I've seen a few in Telford over the past month or two. 07:45 I was still in bed!

well the race blue is quite a common colour ;)

Id be interested to hear if telford chips away do a decent job tho, for future reference.

I'll put an update on here once the work has been done, wherever I decide to get it done!

My car insurance would cover this, but as I'm only 24 my excess is quite high at £250, it would effect my no claims discount and in the long run I would be paying a lot more than the £300 of work that needs doing.

If it was £6-700+ then I would consider claiming, but I'd rather just pay it myself with the current cost.

The question on insurance quotes / applications is usually "Have you had an accident...", not "Have you made a claim...".  In theory, you should notify them of this, as it could bite you in the arse if they ever find out (i.e. it could invalidate your insurance if you haven't declared it).

In reality, however, as long as it didn't involve anyone else and is something as trivial as this - I doubt they really care and the chances of them ever finding out are smaller than you winning the lottery (even if you don't buy a ticket).

The question on insurance quotes / applications is usually "Have you had an accident...", not "Have you made a claim...". In theory, you should notify them of this, as it could bite you in the arse if they ever find out (i.e. it could invalidate your insurance if you haven't declared it).

In reality, however, as long as it didn't involve anyone else and is something as trivial as this - I doubt they really care and the chances of them ever finding out are smaller than you winning the lottery (even if you don't buy a ticket).

Yeah I know, but as you say for something so trivial only involving my car and my mates wall it's not worth it. There isn't any way of them finding out.