sic trip to France yesterday!

Such

Well after not visiting France for some time we booked a return trip on euro tunnel, spur of the moment thing, went yesterday.

Drove to Boulogne, all pretty uneventful, nice weather with 3 kids in tow, my daughter 16, her friend 16, son 14, and missus.

Managed to find a parking place in car park opposite main beach which was a result!

Found cafe across the road, and we went for some lunch.

Must say ordered fish and chips, and out came a giant finger and sloppy chips! In fact, all our meals were bad!! Of course the staff spoke no English, and my French is very limited!

Worst €85 euros ever spent in France! And worst meal too!

Spent a few hours topping up my tan and we headed off to do some shopping.

My son complained of not feeling too great, but it did not take too much notice as he does sometimes complain about nowt!

On the A16 toward Calais, he said he felt sick, so I sped towards the next exit, which was 1km away.

Whilst on the exit slip he opened the window and was very sick.

I have never had anyone be sick on, in, my car in all my years of driving, even to south of France with 3 youngsters, and when we stopped and assessed the damage, I was in deep shock.

The picture below shows the state of my octy. I though he managed to get it all outside, but it seems not!!

I did not know where to start to begin to clean it - in fact I felt so shocked I was going to dump the door and get another one!

Spent over an hour at the services cleaning it out and managed to get the outside done with the water and squeegy supplied at the pumps.

Now just have to face the task of cleaning properly!

The picture is not for the feint hearted, any cleaning suggestions is very welcome!

Thanks

My son is fine now btw!

post-48024-0-32028900-1407485085_thumb.jpg

I would use a good APC on the plastics with a stiff brush to agitate. Then get a bucket of clean hot water with a sponge to wipe it off. Then use a disinfectant once done.

Carpets will need a shampoo and scrub. Might need to be done a few times to remove the smell. Then some air freshner.

Maybe leave the windows all open for the rest of the day.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Thanks, I am now armed with a steam cleaner, alcohol wipes, bucket, carpet shampoo,

And it is now p*****g down with rain!

Oh well, at least the mess outside will hopefully rinse off!

Thanks

Ooh err! Nasty.

Hope you can get that tidied away.

Shame that spoilt your day as Boulogne has a lot to offer. Including decent restaurants that don't try and poison you - if that was indeed the cause.

Ouch..... Poor lad..... Not had that yet with my 2 girls.... Mind you one of my girls recently ran to the toilet and managed to miss the toilet and get it up the wall...

Hope he is feeling better and the rest of your trip is good.

Thanks all, lad is fine and back to his usual self!

Spent 3hrs just now cleaning with steam cleaner in all the crevices.

I have yet to test the tweeter as that was completely covered!

Used an APC after, plus plenty alcohol wiipes.

Just need to give the carpet another quick shampoo, and all will be good.

Managed to flatten the battery whilst doing all this, did not realize ignition was on with DRL's on... doh!

Pffff thats a right off im afraid :P 

Poor lad, done my fair share of boking in cars as a kid, covered a good few XR2's and Corolla GT Coupes of my brother in laws. 

As above, APC and nice hot soapy water. 

Then Febreeze... lots of febreeze. 

I would be considering taking the door panel off to aid the cleaning, as you just know a little bit will have gotten behind the panel and it will stink forever otherwise.

Top tip that radders. Hadn't thought of that bit

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I would be considering taking the door panel off to aid the cleaning, as you just know a little bit will have gotten behind the panel and it will stink forever otherwise.

I did think of that, is it easy to do?

I know some went down thru the window.

Jeez, the poor little sod, he obviously needed to get rid of that lot. Hope he's back to his old self and that he learns well how to clean car interiors LOL!

He was in bed till midday! Then on PS3 whilst I was cleaning and heaving!

Seriously, lovely.................. be thankful that it was down the door, where it can be cleaned off from. Worst case scenario is that it could have been directly forward down your neck! (Yes I have seen that done on coaches........)

Just 20 seconds and I would have stopped, some did go on the back of my seat!

I will attempt to remove the door card to clean behind.

Thanks

In situations like these, Zoflora is your best friend!

Mike

Sometime these sorts of smells are persistent. You think they gone but they linger in the background.

Not a fan of the smell of those air freshners. The baking soda idea from ^^^ sounds plausible. Works on stinky fridges.

• Like 1

Sometime these sorts of smells are persistent. You think they gone but they linger in the background.Not a fan of the smell of those air freshners. The baking soda idea from ^^^ sounds plausible. Works on stinky fridges.[/quote

]Used baking soda today as still a bit stinky, took off tweeter grill and door handle cover, cleaned all around, but no remnants were there!

Gave carpet and seat belt another going over.

Now it is ok, you would never know that It was in such a state. 2 days ago !

Thanks all

paul

post-48024-0-55658700-1407609928_thumb.jpg

post-48024-0-41750100-1407609942_thumb.jpg

post-48024-0-45822800-1407609981_thumb.jpg

post-48024-0-07309500-1407609994_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks,

I must admit, I was rather traumatised at the sight of my car initially, whilst my son was stil being sick on the grass adjacent to the car.

It was so much worse than in the pic, which my daughter took!

My wife, who is a nurse, can do blood, cuts and guts, but NOT sick, and nearly added to it! so I was left with the cleaning to do at the services myself.

It was really one of those jobs where I did not know where to start!

First time ever this has happened, and we used to drive to Bordeaux every year when the kids were young

As sick bag has now taken permanent residence behind the drivers seat.

Cheers

PAUL

Get some enzyme cleaner. You will be able to get it from pets at home. It's called stain and odour remover by simple solution. The enzymes will break down any invisible remnants. Just put it in a spray bottle and spray the carpet and seat liberally. Leave it over night then give it a vac. The smell will be gone

I would take the door card off to check but you won't be able to get to where it's gone down inside the window opening as there is a cover pop riveted on. Best bet is with a ruler or screw driver to spread open the seals and then spray the solution down there.

I don't know what I'd have done if that happened to me. I think I'd have used the jet wash at the services and blasted everything lol.

• Like 1

To everyone visiting France - restaurant food is not what it was. I've been going over there regularly for over 25 years and I have noticed a great drop in quality - it started to drop when the euro arrived. My neighbour there is a retired catering manager for the Banque de France in Paris. She rarely eats out and when she and hubby do venture to some new eatery they give us a full report! 

No wonder most young(ish) natives love Macdonalds.

Yup, lots of pizza and burger joint there now. And lots of places which have raced to the bottom.

If all else fails, then a decent bistro or brasserie should be ok. Stick with something they have to cook fresh, like steak.

Still plenty of places to get excellent food though. Just as an example, Maison Pic in Valence is a three Michelin starred restaurant with an international reputation at international playboy prices, €260 each for their top menu, currently.

They also have a bistro, http://www.pic-valence.com/#/lacuisine_carteetmenus where the menu is €31, about £25 each. For three courses, excellently cooked and presented in a lively atmosphere, at what would be lower than pub grub prices. Booze prices reasonable too. You can even watch the kitchen brigade in action if you wish.

I could provide a similar examples of starred restaurants offering exceptional value of exquisite food.

Over the last ten years or so, I have found the Michelin to be pretty reliable as a guide to places providing decent food. ViaMichelin, despite being probably the flakiest site in the galaxy gives you access to many recommended restaurants surrounding wherever you happen to be.

Brits in particular seem to have an apprehension of what they perceive as "posh" establishments. I have never had problems entering such places. Even when travelling by bike. In the rain. Kit covered in muck and slime. Dripping water on their carpets. Once disrobed, they have taken my stuff away to dry while I eat. No sniffs.

Whatever else, the staff in such establishments are professionals and know that your satisfaction is paramount, and what keeps paying customers coming back.

I don't think my son would like to visit france again in a hurry.

We were considering another day trip end Aug!

Will defo check out revews of any eateries before

Thanks

PAUL