To DSG or not to DSG

Hi All,

I'm currently looking at my options for my next company car (not due until April next year but I've seen some horror stories on here about wait times!) and I've come up with what is probably a strange choice but one I thought I'd put out there for comments/suggestions...I'm looking at ordering a vRS combi diesel but the way the lease price is working (well the lease price and the BIK rules in Ireland) I can have either the vRS with DSG and standard interior or the vRS in Manual with the Leather Interior...I've arranged a test drive in a (non-vRS) DSG for next week just to try it out so maybe that will make my decision for me....Any advice/comments/suggestions?

Cheers all!

Had my last 5 Octys with DSG wouldn't be without it Good economy smoother ride Just go for it in my opinion.

Don't listen to the teckies as they give there own opinion JUST TRY IT AND IF YOU LIKE GO FOR IT

Based on the Octavia II with the 1.6TDI and DSG.

(i) Brilliant at towing, picks the gears and revs perfectely.

(ii) Brilliant in snow and ice, with traction control and winter tyres.

(iii) Brilliant "off road" i.e. climbing wet grassy slopes, the traction control must double up as a diff-lock, or limited slip diff.

(iv) Brilliant at picking the correct gear going downhill.

(v) Brilliant at "getting away" with minimum fuss and max acceleration, when very occassionally required.

All above because(I can only surmise)

I "drive smooth", so the gear box is not "fooled" by apparently random/nonsensical throttle and brake inputs.

BUT

Absolutly useless (almost to the point of being hazardous) at low speed manouvering, on slopes.

The clutch packs/software simply cannot cope.

I now avoid parking in such places.

cheers

marcus

Edited by dieseldogg
  • Like 2

I've just sold my 2011 TDI VRS because I hated the DSG so much. Test drove it but didn't realise its pitfalls in the short length of time. Now got a manual Superb estate and personally find it much nicer to drive and it is NEVER in the wrong gear ! :) DSG not a match compared to say ZF box in BMW but each to their own I guess :)

BUT

Absolutly useless (almost to the point of being hazardous) at low speed manouvering, on slopes.

The clutch packs/software simply cannot cope.

I now avoid parking in such places.

cheers

This is the reason I won't ever buy a DSG. I live on a down slope, with the car on an up slope ramp. Which ever way round I park, I have to reverse up a steep slope. the DSG cars I have been lent as courtesy cars are crap getting up/down said ramp.

Also drove a Mk2 Vrs Tdi with DSG to Scotland and back, found it clunky and counter intuitive.

As has been said. Marmite

Edited by Bristolf2b

This is the reason I won't ever buy a DSG. I live on a down slope, with the car on an up slope ramp. Which ever way round I park, I have to reverse up a steep slope. the DSG cars I have been lent as courtesy cars are crap getting up/down said ramp.

Also drove a Mk2 Vrs Tdi with DSG to Scotland and back, found it clunky and counter intuitive.

As has been said. Marmite

I'm surprised over this and don't understand it.

I have to reverse and thread my way up a steep slope to my garage, through a very narrow gap between 2 cars parked at a lower level, and have never had a single problem in all my many years of DSG ownership doing this.

What I will say that in my experience the 7 speed DSG is not as good as the 6 speed. The 7 speed can very ocassionally find itself in two minds over whether to change up or stay in its current gear. 

Some of the DSG's I have driven have had issues with slow speed on slopes, the bite point is very hard to hold or predict. The worse was a TT, and a A6 - almost impossible to reverse onto a sloped drive without bunny hopping. The vRS I test drove was fine though - hopefully mine will be when it comes!

hmm I also think that for slopes the DSG is better. I hate struggling with the clutch at low speeds uphill.DSG also comes with the hill-hold control.

Besides, for slopes you opt for 4x4 :)

For those who have or feel their DSG is not as good as it should be ask your dealer to do a DSG software reset next time it goes in for a service. My previous Passat CC DSG used to feel much better after a software reset. My wife currently has a 2014 Golf DSG which is far better than the one I had in the Passat CC, but maybe its not right to compare the different types of wet 6 speed and dry 7 speed DSG boxes. 

Edited by cnc

What seems to confuse the DSG is that either way you roll back a short distance, drive engaged and then want power as soon as the car becomes level ready to go up the slope. What happens is that as you drop off the ramp on the brake there is an inconsistent bite from the gearbox- intensely irritating and disconcerting.

With a manual diesel you can engage the clutch and trickle off under direct control without using the brake.

I am afraid you won't convince me :)

My specific issue is the transmission "choosing" to disengage drive(or reverse) when I am attempting to creep out of a tight space, uphill, the computer/engine management unit ignoring my throttle inputs(but only when the throttle is being moved slowly and carefully) and telling the engine to hold tick-over revs.(or not telling the engine otherwise)

When I hold the car on the parking brake and move the selector to Neutral, the engine revs immediately rise to 2000-2500 rpm.

In line with my throttle input.

A fault code is logged, sommat about a "gateway communication" problem.Skoda are quite UNABLE to fix this problem, and they have diligently tried.

Marcus