Impressed With Economy

Very impressed with the economy from the first tank of unleaded.  Travelled a total of 558.5 miles since my first fill-up and the Maxidot was showing an average of 52.8 mpg.  Refilled it again having used a total of 47.86 litres (10.53 gallons), which gives a total of 53.04 mpg.  Impressed with how accurate the Maxidot is as well actually!

That was covering a mixture of driving over a 16 day period, a few short local trips, some faster A-roads and Motorway, crawling in heavy traffic, and using the air-con during a high proportion of it too.  I don't hammer the car but don't crawl along either - just use the gearbox and change up as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Got 45mpg fill to fill after completing 220 miles; couple of longish runs and some short local trips into town.

Our Fabia TSI 86 tends to average between 40 and 47 with 15k on the clock but I'm hoping the Spaceback will similarly break into the fifties on my 36 mile commutes to work, although out is a long steady climb to a short fairly steep decent into the Vale of York and obviously the reverse going home.

TP

Just got back from Blackpool in the Toledo (1100 miles on the clock) and have returned 44.6 which isn't far off what the Passat gave me (170 CR tdi) and included a couple of trips full of camping kit. 

Surprised how eager the little engine is to get up to motorway speeds too. I wasn't fond the first time I encountered the 1.2tsi but have to say its growing on me

Impressive. Hired the 86hp version for a couple of days with work in Blighty and it was showing 50-55 mpg on the motorways at 70mph. Quite happy cruising at this speed (with a bit in reserve for overtaking) and quiet too.

Very impressed with the economy from the first tank of unleaded.  Travelled a total of 558.5 miles since my first fill-up and the Maxidot was showing an average of 52.8 mpg.  Refilled it again having used a total of 47.86 litres (10.53 gallons), which gives a total of 53.04 mpg. 

I'd be very happy with that.  Our 1.2 TSI 105  Roomie has to be driven very carefully to beat 40.  I suppose the frontal area will account for that in part, but the combined figure is 49.6, only about 2.7mpg behind the Rapid Spaceback.

It's going to Suffolk next week, 140 mile run, so we'll see what it does then and with some running about in the flatlands!

1200 miles on the clock now and I'm thinking maybe it should be driven around in S mode a bit more - I can't see how it can ever be run in using D, which seems reluctant to use more than 2000 rpm!

I'm pleased with our Rapid all round.  I'm getting the same MPG as the rest of you, but its the performance which has surprised me.  With two adults, 3 big kids, a boot of luggage and a full tank, it would still accelerate lively enough.   Its not a car that sets the world on fire, but hey, its not bad.

I'd be very happy with that.  Our 1.2 TSI 105  Roomie has to be driven very carefully to beat 40.  I suppose the frontal area will account for that in part, but the combined figure is 49.6, only about 2.7mpg behind the Rapid Spaceback.

It's going to Suffolk next week, 140 mile run, so we'll see what it does then and with some running about in the flatlands!

1200 miles on the clock now and I'm thinking maybe it should be driven around in S mode a bit more - I can't see how it can ever be run in using D, which seems reluctant to use more than 2000 rpm!

I imagine it will give another 5 or 6 mpg with 10k on the clock.

A good flogging will probably help!

Many years ago a guy I knew bought a new 1.9td Citroen every year or two. The dealership is on a dual carriageway. He would pull out of the garage and immediately proceed to test the top speed on the way home. Before points on licences obviously! Said it was the best way to run them in when you were only keeping them for a while. Sold the next year as one owner, low mileage by the garage!

Changing from 185/60/15 to 215/40/17 results in a 16% increase in tire width (+ a significant weight increase) so a 10% increase in consumption seems reasonable. If you also take into account that a 215/40/17 tire is probably a performance oriented tire, where as a 185/60/15 tire is probably an economy/ efficient tire, than even a 15% consumption increase seems reasonable.

On the other hand a change from 215/45/16 to 215/40/17 should give a minimal (if any) increase in consumption.

Edited by harisma23

Impressive. Hired the 86hp version for a couple of days with work in Blighty and it was showing 50-55 mpg on the motorways at 70mph. Quite happy cruising at this speed (with a bit in reserve for overtaking) and quiet too.

Mate of mine thought i'd stalled it the other day they're so quiet. A corking motor so far

• Like 1

Mate of mine thought i'd stalled it the other day they're so quiet. A corking motor so far

Can relate to that, usually when reversing off the driveway - have been convinced I've stalled it on a few occasions.  Very impressive car all round, great value.

• Like 1

The previous tank (a week and a bit commute, and then a 300 mile drive to Perthshire) gave me 554 miles from 42.24 litres = 59.7 MPG .... *so* close to the magic 60!

(disclaimer: you've got to be very patient and be prepared to do 60 on the motorways to get the economy up that high!)

• Like 3