Estate tailgate corrosion

Hi, just offthe phone today for the third time with my local dealer about the bubbles appearing, about 8-10, on the bottom right of the panel, not near edges, he took pix of them 4 weeks ago and just got a reply from SUK saying, as usual, they are caused by stone chips, I told him that because the paint was not broken somone must be throwing them from the inside and told him to reply to SUK  with that answer, has anyone had anything the same or similar happen to them?

Just had my whole boot replaced 2006 car. Was showing a 5p size bubble so took it to local dealer (western Skoda group) Also had corrosion on the bottom of the boot where the paint had flaked off.Took a week for SUK to get back to me and it was booked in.Originally for just paint but after a week they phoned and said they had permission to replace the boot as the corrosion was worse than first thought. :)

Got it back on Saturday and superb job done and they gave me a free loan car.Very very happy with the service.Pm me if you want further info

Hi, Thanx for the quick reply but not allowed to PM anyone yet, I think it's some kind of probation :o).....Where are you and how long did it take?

Funny how real stone ships on the bonnet never bubble.

You might get some me info in this thread -

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314084-rusty-sills-help-me-dispel-the-bull/

I moved on my 07 mainly due to rust and bubbling appearing on the sills not the tailgate. The Mk2 does seem prone to corrosion at about that age.

Edited by Aspman

Cheers mate, good thread, already pointed that out to dealer, I think it's a cop out or they don't even contact SUK but I will..........

• 2 months later...

Hi all, been a while,  update on the rust issue, now almost 4 months, to cut a long story shorter, on second visit to retailers saw more rust above number plate, more pix sent to SUK who now say it's zinc inclusion, therefore a paint issue but out of warranty but the good news is the rust above number plate could be perforation which is under warranty, SUK now have pix and report from Skoda approved painters in Glasgow so expecting to know this week what the final result will be, hoping for the best, chap at Skoda thinks warranty re-spray might be on the cards, here's hoping............

• 2 weeks later...

Well , at last folks, SUK have put their hands up and going to strip and respray the tailgate under warranty, taken a while and have to wait till March to have it done but at least it's underway, thanx will go to Arnold Clarks in Glasgow and Customer Service at SUK, who seemed to move things along fairly quickly leading me to believe that the retailer I bought the car from, PARKS MOTOR GROUP in Hamilton,  were the ones dragging their heels, case is closed now but was told if there are any problems with the repair a case can  be opened again so thanx for all the help people and will keep in touch............

Great result!

How long is the warranty on the repair?

In my (limited) experience it doesn't matter how far back you take the rust removal the stuff always comes back eventually.

Oh and stop driving so fast in reverse!! Stone chips on a boot lid, the best excuse from Skoda UK I've heard so far :D  

Will be asking that question when I get the respray, I think the standard paint warranty is only 3 or 5 years so should get that I guess and I've learned my lesson about driving in reverse by getting a bikini cover for the tailgate ;o)............

Bloody hell a good news story about Arnold Clark. I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

More seriously a 6 month wait to get it fixed?

• 7 months later...

Hi All, well at long last the saga has finished, took Arnold Clarks body shop three weeks to sort it out, eventually a new tailgate was "fitted", had to take it back the following week to get it realigned, not a great paint job but adequate, again Arnold Clark warranty clerk was great but that's as far as the thanks go, had bother with them years ago and thought at first they had changed but alas not, customer service a total shambles, thanx again for all your help and replies, not a regular user but will look in on you all from time to time.....................Chaz

• Like 1