1.4 TSI 119g/CO2 or 121g/CO2?

Another point (re wheels and tax) according to the current brochure, all S or SE Octavias have 16" alloy wheels of some sort, as standard, and the same size tyres.

So they can't be assessing one model for lower tax because of wheels.

So is an alloy wheel considered less efficient at reducing CO2 than a steel wheel?

Ah, an EU directive. Now I get it. Like when you open a dustbin, rubbish falls out........!!!

It's the weight of the wheels.

Just adding a spare to my Octavia would have put me up an VED band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have a spare - does anyone else with 119 on the v5?

I ordered the standard spare (steel) with mine and it still says 119. What a lot of nonsense!

It certainly seems to be related to the wheel size and tyre width. The option of steel spare is not relevant, my estate has a spare and is 119. On the evidence of this thread, SE models are 119, Elegance are 121. On this basis I would have thought S models wd be 119 too, anyone able to confirm?

What surprises me is that if wheel config can make this important difference to the spec, suggesting it's a very sensitive set of parameters, there's no difference between estates and hatches.

It certainly seems to be related to the wheel size and tyre width. The option of steel spare is not relevant, my estate has a spare and is 119. On the evidence of this thread, SE models are 119, Elegance are 121. On this basis I would have thought S models wd be 119 too, anyone able to confirm?

In the new brochure cars with the same wheels, engine and body shape get the same CO2 rating, so the S certainly should be the same as the SE.

What surprises me is that if wheel config can make this important difference to the spec, suggesting it's a very sensitive set of parameters, there's no difference between estates and hatches.

There are differences between the estate and hatch in both the old and new brochure. What the old brochure didn't do was list differences due to wheel size.

As the EU directive apparently applied from September last year it seems likely that Skoda started measuring CO2 emissions for different wheel sizes since then but have only just started listing them in the brochure.

It would seem the 1.4 TSI O3 is very close to the bounary between Band C and D and hence, a spare wheel or spec changed can affect which side of the boundary the car sits moreover so, since the new EU directive.

If you step upto an Elegance (SE-L) budget for a DSG 7 as well as this will lighten the car enough to get back into Band C as mine is and having just had a Fabia 3 diesel manual as a loaner I can tell you, its a one way journey, once you go DSG, there is no way back, the driving experience is that much better.

Right, just got my reply from DVLA. They CONFIRM that my car is £30 annual road tax. Hurray!!!

I told them every detail, date of registration, number plate of course, manual, 1.4 TSi SE model etc. etc.

So I'm keeping their email for proof, and coughing up just £30 when I renew.

(They also mentioned, in passing, that since October 2014 you can no longer transfer remaining road tax to a new owner when you sell the car.)

mine is 119

racman - is yours a manual or DSG?  What wheels/tyres is it on.  My 1.4 TSI Elegance estate manual on standard 17" wheels is definitely 121g/km on the V5 - so I'm intrigued if there's anyone with an identical spec who is showing as 119 g/km!

I bet if you took 10 identical models, with 10 different drivers who do totally different kinds of driving, and collected all their emissions over 6 months say, you'd find the results completely different as well. It is all a lot of greenie nonsense, like global warming is.

Road Tax should be on how much maintenance needs/costs a particular type of vehicle inflicts on the roads they use.

So I guess I can be fairly confident my 119 / £30 is correct then? That's a good way to start the week!

Certainly seems like it. If it is on the document it seems as if that is it !!

p.s. one reason it is wrong on the DVLA web site, when checking for tax bands, is that they don't actually list the 1.4 TSi.

All they have under 1.4 petrol Octavia hatch  is something called a 1.4 FSi, which so far as I know does not exist, or not nowadays anyway.

Ah, at last, a web site that confirms it - on this one you just type in reg. number and make. It actually got it right!   £30

http://whattaxband.com/

Edited by ednmra

Right, just got my reply from DVLA. They CONFIRM that my car is £30 annual road tax. Hurray!!!

I told them every detail, date of registration, number plate of course, manual, 1.4 TSi SE model etc. etc.

So I'm keeping their email for proof, and coughing up just £30 when I renew.

(They also mentioned, in passing, that since October 2014 you can no longer transfer remaining road tax to a new owner when you sell the car.)

Hi there, I have a 63 plate (October 2013) 1.4TSi Manual with 16" standard alloys. My V5C says Band C = 121g = £110. I was going to write to DVLA and ask them for confirmation of whether this is correct or whether they have got it wrong - I hope it is Band B = 119g = £30. What address did you write to? Was it CCG,DVLA,Swansea SA99 1BA ? Did you include your V5c when you wrote to them?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, I have a 63 plate (October 2013) 1.4TSi Manual with 16" standard alloys. My V5C says Band C = 121g = £110. I was going to write to DVLA and ask them for confirmation of whether this is correct or whether they have got it wrong - I hope it is Band B = 119g = £30. What address did you write to? Was it CCG,DVLA,Swansea SA99 1BA ? Did you include your V5c when you wrote to them?

Thanks in advance.

I emailed them using the usual "contact us" link on their web site. They said allow 3 or 4 days for an answer, which proved about right. But as mentioned above, if you try http://whattaxband.com/ you should get immediate confirmation.

It might just be that 2013 cars differ from 2014.

racman - is yours a manual or DSG?  What wheels/tyres is it on.  My 1.4 TSI Elegance estate manual on standard 17" wheels is definitely 121g/km on the V5 - so I'm intrigued if there's anyone with an identical spec who is showing as 119 g/km!

manual standard wheels just paid £30 rtax

1.2 and 1.4 engines emissions have changed since 2014 let alone 2013. The 1.2 in my 2014 Yeti was 142g/km the 1.2 fitted in 2015 models is now 118g/km.

Whatever is stated in yer V5C stays with that vehicle.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Checked my V5 which says Co2 is 116, that's a 2015 1.4TSI DSG Elegance on 17" with a factory fitted spare.

30 quid a year tax on a car this size is peanuts, just don't tell 'em I said so :notme:  :notme: