Estate Electric Opening/Closing Boot

oktc

All,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have read a few posts on the electric opening and closing estate boots playing up but couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

The problem I am experiencing is a very temperamental / intermittent problem. 
All of a sudden which away, I went to close the boot by pressing the button on the boot lid, and the boot lid moved a couple of cms, but then stopped and bleeped three times. I pressed the button again and it did exactly the same.  Anyway I was able to manually close the boot, but then on trying to open the boot, it did the same thing but in reverse, I pressed the button, it raise a couple of cm, bleeped three times and stops. Then it has to be raised manually. 

Anyway, over the last week it has been very intermittent, it works fine on one occasion and then goes problematic. 

Three questions:  

1)  Any suggestions as to the fault?
2)  Is there a simple fix?
3)  Would this be covered under warranty?  The cars warranty expires beginning of November, but it has covered 80K. The man at the skoda service desk said that things repaired under warranty above 60K would start to drop off, and he wouldn't be able to tell me until they had done a diagnostic (£100), and got a yes or no from the service technician.  So whats the chance of this being covered? Anyone of any experience?

On a separate, more minor note as im talking about warranty, I also have "white-worm" on the front and rear skoda badges which I see owners have had replaced under warranty.  Is this something you think I could claim under warranty at 3 years old with 80K?

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks all.

Three questions:  

1)  Any suggestions as to the fault?

2)  Is there a simple fix?

3)  Would this be covered under warranty?  The cars warranty expires beginning of November, but it has covered 80K. The man at the skoda service desk said that things repaired under warranty above 60K would start to drop off, and he wouldn't be able to tell me until they had done a diagnostic (£100), and got a yes or no from the service technician.  So whats the chance of this being covered? Anyone of any experience?

1) Three beeps is the load sensor thinking the door has struck something.

2) Not sure if there is a re-calibration.  Try opening the door until it stalls and beeps, then GENTLY manually fully opening and closing it.  Slow and gently, feeling for sticky points.  This is how you reset the 'boot lid height limiter' so it might also reset the motor torque learning too, who knows.

3) Sure it's a warranty item, get the dealer to fix.  There have been reports of the strut/motors failing and being replaced under warranty.

I can't speak of the warranty terms where you are located.  Here in AU we have a strong protection called Australian Consumer Law which requires, regardless of formal warranty terms, that a device or appliance be in working condition for a 'reasonable' time.  This usually boils down to things being fixed for free even if the item is a outside the formal warranty terms.  One would reasonably expect a boot to work for more than 3 years.  It does usually involve the buyer engaging in arguments with the retailer and having to threaten arbitration but works in the end.  The curly part here is that even on non-electric boot cars, gas struts are basically consumable items that need to be replaced (5 - 10 years) as they lose their force.  3 years is unreasonable however.

With regards to the boot motor load sensor, mine has tripped in gusty winds and when someone gets in the car (which rocks the car) while the lid is in motion.

Edited by wokwon

• 3 weeks later...