Thinking of Buying a vRS

Hi, I am currently thinking about buying a petrol vRS about 2010/11 plate, have seen a couple on auto trader between 10 and 12k, i am hoping to get one with well under 40k on the clock, have seen a couple but most seem to be much higher miles, should the higher 50k, 60k 70k plus mile ones be avoided ?

I have also read a lot on this forum, some of the things have made me doubt the vRS, some much more serious than others obviously. :)

I dont know how commin these problems are but the following makes me wonder if i should look at something else,

The petrol engine can use extreme amounts of oil

Manifold failures

Timing Chain Tensioner failure, resulting in new engine(?)

Rubbish cold start

Water leaking in driver door seals

Water leaking in the boot

Poor sounds form the ICE

Am i reading to much in to all this or not, also what else should i be looking out for shouldi decide to take the plung ?

Thanks for any info :)

I have a 2011 Vrs Tsi and have had none of what you mention, remember forums attract the 'unhappy' customer so you rarely read about the '000s of owners with no problems.

Stick to the rules, condition and history and I mean history with receipts etc are all the safety net you can get. Very few cars have a perfect reputation however the 2011 Vrs is quite a mature design and seems to have a lot ironed out.

I bought a pre fl tfsi nearly a year ago. It's a good car, it's got good points and bad. A few components have failed, the dv and the pcv, both common, fairly easy and cheap to fix. It drinks a bit of oil too, but it's cheaper than the extra tax and petrol you'd spend on a WRX or focus st.

For the money you won't get a better all round car. It's fairly good to drive, comfortable for long journeys and the boot is collosal.

Knowing what I know now about this car I'd definitely get one again.

I have a 2010 petrol vrs with 62k miles and only issue I have had was the air con compressor which was replaced under warranty. Why do people still get hung up about mileage. More likely to have more wear and tear on low mileage cars that do short runs than a higher mileage car that as done motorway miles/got upto operating temperatures regularly. Modern cars can do well over 100k miles no bother. Judge it more on condition and history than just the mileage.

I too have a 2010 Mk 2 facelift vRS, with a TSi petrol engine but with a DSG gearbox and am extremely pleased with it.  I bought mine about a year ago with 34,000 miles and have covered 14,000 miles in it since.  It was serviced at 40,000 and the oil level hasn't dropped since (in over 8,000 miles).

It never failed to start through last winter and I haven't noticed any water ingress round the door seals or around the tailgate (it is an estate).  Obviously, I am aware of some timing chain failures with the TSi engine, but as Bullitt stated above, you will read more negatives on a Forum from dissatisfied owners than positives from those who haven't suffered any issues.

Look for a car in good condition with a good, documented history.  The mileage depends on what you will be doing, in my opinion.  If you are doing big mileage, then look for a car with low miles, but if you are covering below average mileage, a higher mileage car shouldn't be a problem if properly maintained.

This is my second vRS, the first being a 2008 TDi, with the PD engine. 

Hi,

Looking at the items you mention:

I have put about half a litre of oil in over 10,000 miles (now up to 46,000);

The aircon compressor was done under warranty as was the noisy rear door window seal.

Other than that I am loving it - they are great cars. :happy:  :happy:

I'm putting a litre of oil every 5000 in my 07tfsi. Only issue I have had is rear drivers side window seems to have disconnected from the runner but should be an easy fix when I get round to it. Also it can be a bit lumpy on cold start but it's hit and miss when it does it. That's on 70k full skoda service history extremely well looked after by the previous and only owner.

tfsi owner here on 52k, absolutely love the car! ticks every box for me - had a couple of problems but then again - ive had problems with all my cars.....dont concentrate too much on 'common' faults read about on here - if they are putting you off then decide upon another car and read any common faults on forums for that car - itll be a similar story what ever you pick. 

some of the aforementioned problem can be connected ie, oil consumption can be down to a failed pcv, an easy diy fix for little money. 

i enjoy driving my car every time i get in it whether its for an A road blast or packed up to the gills for a tip run - it does everything so well and is cheaper than most other hot hatches in many ways.

i have never had a car for more than a year because i get bored.......next week, ill have had this car for a year and im planning what to do to her next year......says it all really!

Ben

I picked up a 2011 vRS with less that 10k miles on it in April this year, FSH and the dealer MOT'ed it for me and gave me 12 months warranty. I've not had a problem with it and thoughly enjoy it. I've checked the oil a couple of times, it's not moved from the top mark. Only advise I'd give is to look around and be prepared to wait for one that ticks your boxes. I was looking for a vRS or a L&K and waited a couple of months until I found this one.

Edited by nickgpfc

I sold my TFSI at 7yr old with 83k on the clock. I had it from new.

The engine never missed a beat and didn't use excessive oil. I would have every confidence that engine could do the same miles again. MOT emissions were going down not up.

It was the body work and the start of rusting around the sills that prompted me to change.

Mine was on the fixed service option so I tended to have a service every 9 months or so. It was also fed Super only. I did have the Teves ABS problem.

Edited by Aspman

Hi, thanks for the replies, sounds very possitive!

I'm in no rush, was thinking about waiting till mid september when the new plates come out see if there are any good deals to be had with people swapping cars etc.

I do very low miles each year, my 182 for example is 10yrs old this month has less than 30k on the clock, however with the new business and i can no longer walk to work i have roughly worked out i will cover around 7k a year now, still, nothing at all!

Unfortunatly the 182 has to go as the baby is due this december, hence why i am looking at the vRS, out of interest how will the performance be compared withe the current car ?

I've driven both, there is going to be quite a Difference between the two. The clio trump is its handling and light wieght body- the octavia has neither tbh lol. So in real world, standard against standard, the clio would probably run circles around the octavia both in straight line and round corners.

The octavia will feel more sure footed tho, safer and easier to drive not to mention put together better and due to the turbo and a bucket load of torque its not going to feel any slower behind the wheel.

If I was doing any long journeys, I'd pick the vrs.

These are just my impressions, im not saying everyone will agree :)

Edited by tequilan

Thanks for that, would i be right in thinking the vRS will have better mid range, once moving, better for over taking etc.

I have been reading about a stage 1 remap (on this site) does sound interesting i must say, depending on how much the car costs id might be looking at that also, depending on what money is left over. :)

I liked my VRS that I kept for 3yrs from new, BUT, two things caused me to sell it:

1. Harsh ride on the 18" alloys

2. Road noise that I found really bad.

Good luck

Unfortunatly the 182 has to go as the baby is due this december, hence why i am looking at the vRS, out of interest how will the performance be compared withe the current car ?

VRS is a very good family car, massive boot is handy especially early on when you're lugging tons of stuff everywhere. Just don't expect the buzz you'll get from a small fast hatchback.

If you plan to keep the car a while I'd suggest getting the estate. Roof bars start to look very attractive when your kids get to a certain age and bikes appear.

Make sure you test drive them for some distance/time because if you are tall and bigger build you may find the seats uncomfortable due to the offset pedals causing the right side bolster to dig into your thigh.

• Like 1

VRS TSi is excellent...basically a cheap Mk6 Golf GTi with loads more rear legroom and boot space. If you're keen on a Golf GTi but need a bigger car (or just want to spend less money) you cant really go wrong.

In answer to your questions:-

Oil use - many TSi engines use a bit of oil, the chances of getting one thats unwell is unlikely if you buy an honest car so dont fret about that.

Other mechanical issues - again yes some have had manifold/cam chain failures but there is not a major problem with the TSi engine. Its just bad luck if you experience the problem. If you want peace of mind its possible to replace the cam tensioner for the latest revision and people have done so but guess it doesnt completely guarantee it not happening as chains can also stretch and snap.

water ingress - doors can hold a bit of water after heavy rain etc....most VAG cars do this (my 8 month old Mk3 does) so dont worry about that so much. The water in the boot issue is a design flaw, opening the tailgate after heavy rain can lead to water being thrown into the boot. Opening the tailgate slowly prevents this. The estate is not affected only the hatch.

also sometimes the rear washer pipe can pop apart and results in washer fluid being sprayed into the boot lining...obvious sign is if the rear washer doesnt work. It naturally fills the spare wheel well over time and can lead to damp and interior misting but easily enough to rectify.

sound system - One of the best factory fit systems ive sampled not many people complain about the stereo in a facelift MK2.

The diesel is slower but still a quick car (particularly in gear) and worth considering if low running costs and decent economy are a requirement. The only downside really with the TSi is that it is a bit juicy particularly if used as intended. You can drive the diesel quickly all day long and still return respectable fuel economy.

sound system - One of the best factory fit systems ive sampled not many people complain about the stereo in a facelift MK2.

so is the sound system different in pre f/l then? if so is it interchangeable?

Edited by tequilan

@tequilan I am from Nottinghamshire.

To be honest I am not keen on the estate and the other half thinks the hatchback is massive, having had a good look round a mk3 Octavia in hatchback format and if the mk2 is anything like that size wise then it will be more than big enough.

Dont really do enough miles or long trips to justify the diesel, only do about 7k a year and the vast majority of those miles are very small, I have been told that need to do a good 20min run none stop at least once every 12 days or so to stop the DFP(is it) filter blocking up, to be honest I had been looking at a BMW 330D before I found out about these filters, have also thought about the 325i.

I do have enought question mind, maybe I am being abit thick but how can i tell the difference between the pre-FL version and the FL-version of the mk2 ? is it just the year they were made or are they badged up different etc ?

I was in the same situation 6 months ago and ended up with a petrol 11 VRS with under 20k on it and it's brilliant, I've had no problems whatsoever with it so far. The boot is amazing, makes it almost a family car without feeling or looking like you're driving one - happy to prove all my friends wrong who were banging on about how I'd definitely have to get a people carrier or some such rubbish anyway :)

The only downsides I can think of is the driver and passenger seats aren't the most comfortable and obviously it's not the most economical car you can buy (my average is 36mpg for the time I've had it) but that's about all I can level against it.

edit: You want one with TSI on the engine (cam chain), the older ones are TFSI (cam belt, which needs replacing every 4 years at some expense unless the car was registered after 1st March 2010 in which case it's every 5 years). Best to see it rather than just looking for it on an ad though, mine was listed as a TFSI but it clearly isn't.

oyzXLFHl.jpg

Edited by stefcha

FL has newer lights, slighlty more rounded face and a some changes to the interior.

Pre-FL -

o2_front_small.jpgo2_inside_small.jpg

FL -

Skoda_Octavia_II_Combi_Exterior_4_thumb.Skoda_Octavia_II_Combi_Interior_1_thumb.

"Just don't expect the buzz you'll get from a small fast hatchback."

Agreed, yes, its a big boat compared to a fast Hatchback. I love the VRS but ain't no little hot hatch and you will miss the chuck-ability of a little fast car. The Clio is a great fun little car that put a smile on my face every day. .After a few years owning the VRS, I bought myself an old MX5 as a second car just because I was missing the nippy handling.  Why don't you go to one of the better dealers, explain the situation and ask them to lend you an Octy VRS for an afternoon, you never know!  Whatever you do, try to get a longer test-drive than just ten minutes on a variety of roads, dual carriageways, town and country roads. Octavia VRS's are lovely cars but they are big barges compared to the Clio, not really much good in town traffic, much harder to fit in car park spaces without getting your doors pinged, on longer runs they are wonderful high speed cruisers, but nippy cars for country lanes you can "point and squirt" they are not, IMHO. "A" roads and Motorways, they are great, perhaps why police use them.  They feel welded to the road whether its raining or not, build quality is so much better than a Clio,, but loving the Octavia VRS as much as I do, Its a long distance cruiser car, not a car that that puts a smile on your face every time. If I were you, with a kid on the way, I would seriously look at Seat Leon Cupra, Golf GTi, or even a nice Honda Civic Type R. Each of these will give you a little extra fun in the bends than an Octy, but won't be as comfortable on long journeys. Swings n roundabouts really. All the best.   

I'm thinking of selling mine if your interested. Late 2010 petrol tsi model. Race blue hatch with 62k miles and fsh. Serviced every 10k (just been serviced). Recent front discs and pads and rear pads. Immaculate condition - is washed 2-3times per week! Also has optical reverse park, factory bluetooth, xenon headlights with afs, auto wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror.

Agreed, yes, its a big boat compared to a fast Hatchback. I love the VRS but ain't no little hot hatch and you will miss the chuck-ability of a little fast car. The Clio is a great fun little car that put a smile on my face every day. .After a few years owning the VRS, I bought myself an old MX5 as a second car just because I was missing the nippy handling.  Why don't you go to one of the better dealers, explain the situation and ask them to lend you an Octy VRS for an afternoon, you never know!  Whatever you do, try to get a longer test-drive than just ten minutes on a variety of roads, dual carriageways, town and country roads. Octavia VRS's are lovely cars but they are big barges compared to the Clio, not really much good in town traffic, much harder to fit in car park spaces without getting your doors pinged, on longer runs they are wonderful high speed cruisers, but nippy cars for country lanes you can "point and squirt" they are not, IMHO. "A" roads and Motorways, they are great, perhaps why police use them.  They feel welded to the road whether its raining or not, build quality is so much better than a Clio,, but loving the Octavia VRS as much as I do, Its a long distance cruiser car, not a car that that puts a smile on your face every time. If I were you, with a kid on the way, I would seriously look at Seat Leon Cupra, Golf GTi, or even a nice Honda Civic Type R. Each of these will give you a little extra fun in the bends than an Octy, but won't be as comfortable on long journeys. Swings n roundabouts really. All the best.   

Hi, I have been looking at the mk6 GTI also, there is one near me at avaliable car, 2011 plate but has just over 73k on the clock, initially the mileage did notbother me, i did post about it on a golf GTI forum, 1 or 2 who posted said I should look for lower mileage one.

not sure about the curpa, any idea what they are like ?