Infotainment screens & Children

Hi people, i am after some help.  One of my children has managed to crack the infotainment screen on the mark III VRS (Bolero derivative).  I have been quoted (not happy) by the local dealer for a complete new front.  The Skoda insurance excess is equivalent in the replacement cost. So i am looking for some help.  Does anyone know if you can have the screen replaced on it own as an after market repair?

Ta

Mike

There may be companies that can do it. You can get this done on the previous generation stereos (MK2 Octavia). Not sure if anyone has the parts/knowhow to do them on the new cars yet.

Phil

Assuming the screen can't be repaired cheaply, possibly not. I don't know the figures involved but you can get a bolero on eBay for £500.

Could even sell the old one for spares too.

It's just a screen and a few buttons, and will be available from Skoda. I've not seen a mkIII bolero screen on eBay.....

Thought the OP said he had asked, and Skoda said no. I shall desist from commenting further.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251626019793

The OP says he's been quoted by his dealer for a replacement, he doesn't seem to want to pay it though.

That's a complete bolero, the OP just needs the screen.

The OP says he's been quoted by his dealer for a replacement, he doesn't seem to want to pay it though.

That's a complete bolero, the OP just needs the screen.

You're right, I've categorically failed to offer the exact solution the OP would like, though I tried to be helpful. I humbly apologise.

• Like 2

Out of interest, what was the quote from the dealer ?

If you can source a replacement front panel, would that not need coding to the car due to the component protection, or would that just be if you replaced the separate main unit ?

Thought the OP said he had asked, and Skoda said no. I shall desist from commenting further.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251626019793

I'm with you here. It may just be cheaper and easier to replace the whole unit then sell the broken for spares/repairs.

It's certainly an option.

Phil

• 2 months later...

So having been around the houses on this with Skoda and the main dealer (whom i have brought 4 cars from previously, and quite possibly no more) it transpires that the easiest option is to pay the 500 quid for the part, which is the front unit and then another 106 quid for the privilege of having the unit fitted and coded.  One infotainment front screen with a cracked screen on ebay shortly.

cheers for the comments guys.

M