The Improved Braking Thread

More specifically I guess you are referring to their lack of R90 approval? 

Yes this. But I know that won't bother a lot of people. The chances of any repercussions from fitting them are pretty slim would think. 

I find my Octy stops pretty well, bbut the previous owner has put 'Yellow Stuff' brake pads on the fronts.

Really good for stopping but can get brake fade quite quickly, not sure if that is a trait of Yellow stuff pads.

Not willing to get tied into any previous argument all I'll say is I fitted a set of S3 brakes to the front of my mk2 vrs and I love the feel they give. They look great as they fill most of the standard 18 inch wheel. I'm looking at fitting them with braded lines some time in the future. They are a very heavy set up but I believe ecs do a lighter alloy rota for the 345mm set up expensive but looks very cool and that will be my choice when the discs are up for changing. I haven't upgraded the rears as I like the front bias the S3's give (you can feel the back end going light under heavy breaking). The price was a big reason I went for the 345s around half the price of the Porsche set up and a third of any 6 pot set I've seen.

Not willing to get tied into any previous argument all I'll say is I fitted a set of S3 brakes to the front of my mk2 vrs and I love the feel they give. They look great as they fill most of the standard 18 inch wheel. I'm looking at fitting them with braded lines some time in the future. They are a very heavy set up but I believe ecs do a lighter alloy rota for the 345mm set up expensive but looks very cool and that will be my choice when the discs are up for changing. I haven't upgraded the rears as I like the front bias the S3's give (you can feel the back end going light under heavy breaking). The price was a big reason I went for the 345s around half the price of the Porsche set up and a third of any 6 pot set I've seen.

half the price of the Porsche setup? How much did you pay for the 345mm setup?

Paid 350 for it all in. Couldn't find a set for less than 300 when I was looking for Porsche ones then there's the price of the adapter bracket and hoses plus any recon work that needed doing and pads. I'm sure the full set up was around 800

Paid 350 for it all in. Couldn't find a set for less than 300 when I was looking for Porsche ones then there's the price of the adapter bracket and hoses plus any recon work that needed doing and pads. I'm sure the full set up was around 800

But that's second hand not new, right?

My 345mm setup cost me around £700 new. The Porsche setup cost me the same and that included Mintex M1144 performance pads. The difference between the two setups makes the Porsche setup a bargain imo - that was however what Dave was trying to achieve when he came up with the idea of the Porsche/Brembo NQSBBK. :)

Second hand that's correct. Aren't the Porsche brakes second hand too? Or can they be sourced new for the same price?

Look I'm not trying to take anything away from the NQSBBK setup or the work dave has done. I'm sure the performance and quality is excellent. At the time I didn't have 700 quid to spend and the s3 option was as I've said half the price. The OP asked for option on improving the brakes and I'm just giving him my opinion.

Second hand that's correct. Aren't the Porsche brakes second hand too? Or can they be sourced new for the same price?

Look I'm not trying to take anything away from the NQSBBK setup or the work dave has done. I'm sure the performance and quality is excellent. At the time I didn't have 700 quid to spend and the s3 option was as I've said half the price. The OP asked for option on improving the brakes and I'm just giving him my opinion.

That's totally cool, no argument from me, :) just looked at the half price statement and wondered if we were talking like for like. I don't think the Porsche calipers are actually too bad brand new but I got lucky with a very nice low mileage setup - then had them fully stripped professionally and all new seals etc so literally as good as new. The finish on them is still A1 after 20,000+ hard miles. :) 

IMG_1779_zpsed8bc07b.jpg

• Like 2

That's totally cool, no argument from me, :) just looked at the half price statement and wondered if we were talking like for like. I don't think the Porsche calipers are actually too bad brand new but I got lucky with a very nice low mileage setup - then had them fully stripped professionally and all new seals etc so literally as good as new. The finish on them is still A1 after 20,000+ hard miles. :) 

IMG_1779_zpsed8bc07b.jpg

Looking good the finish looks excellent for some reason I expected them to be red don't ask me why lol

Correct.

I heard DaveB no longer does kits for these.

Plenty on offer on ebay, although not all will necessarily be correct.

There have been problems both with fit and incorrect material choice. Aluminium for example has reportedly given problems.

There is a big howto write up on here somewhere.

And a mega thread on http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13985.0.html

Yup, I also heard Dave was selling off the last kits (I had one of them) but something makes me think I've since read he's made more up... could be wrong though.

All id say is be very wary of other kits - I spoke to Dave after receiving one of these other ones - from Creation motorsport... they use a Mercedes disk with an 'engineered' bracket... its not good, in terms of quality and fitment. It needed silly sized spacers just to clear the OE wheels - Dave's kit requires no spacers and gives 10mm clearance on my OE ET45 7J 17" wheels. :).

• Like 2