fitting winter tyres

hey all, looking at fitting winter tyres to my fabia estate for a Christmas trip across Europe (apparently if it goes below 7C you need to have them and if not you can be heavily fined) my fabia is currently wearing 16" alloys with 205 45 16 rubber, ive read a fair few threads about downsizing for winter tyres so you get bigger sidewall, so have plumped for 195 65 15, only thing that's puzzling me at the minute is do I get some 15" alloys for the winter tyres or do I get steel wheels? I can easily source either but upon reading that steelies can add substantial weight to a European trip that I wanna be as light as possible (so I can bring more stuff back).

any way suggestions please!

There's not THAT much difference in price between steel wheels plus nice wheel covers and alloys. But make sure you get wheel nuts too that match the new wheels; they may not be the same

I've just gone for some of these for our Rapid but they are also TUV approved for the Fabia I, II & III, in the same 6Jx15 ET38 size.

http://www.wheels.oponeo.co.uk/alloy-wheel/alutec/grip/skoda/fabia/hatchback/ii/1-2-tsi-63kw

No shims, spacers or alternative wheel bolts required, as they are designed to fit VAG cars.

Winter tyres should be either 195/55 R15 or 185/55 R15 if you intend to fit chains for a Fabia II (see handbook).

TP

I've just gone for some of these for our Rapid but they are also TUV approved for the Fabia I, II & III, in the same 6Jx15 ET38 size.

http://www.wheels.oponeo.co.uk/alloy-wheel/alutec/grip/skoda/fabia/hatchback/ii/1-2-tsi-63kw

No shims, spacers or alternative wheel bolts required, as they are designed to fit VAG cars.

Winter tyres should be either 195/55 R15 or 185/55 R15 if you intend to fit chains for a Fabia II (see handbook).

TP

The 165 65 r14 that are approved by skoda arent they?

Got these on my mums polo. Seems bloody good in the snow tbh

The 165 65 r14 that are approved by skoda arent they?

Got these on my mums polo. Seems bloody good in the snow tbh

Not listed as an approved size for the Fabia, although 165/70 R14 are, however the 14" rims are restricted to the smaller output engines due to brake disc size.

TP

Not listed as an approved size for the Fabia, although 165/70 R14 are, however the 14" rims are restricted to the smaller output engines due to brake disc size.

TP

Ooh yeah that was it. Forgot that technical hitch haha.

well as I explained ive got 16's fitted and wanted to fit 15's for winter tyres ive been onto this website http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator and worked out that the rubber size I explained about for winter tyre will make nearly 0% difference. this is the reason im looking for the 15's. ive checked and am happy that 15's will fit over the brakes and am just slightly worried now some of you have said there not approved for skodas? thanks

TP

Yep and they look skinny.

Our old 1.2 htp.

2011-10-30161919.jpg

Lee

EDIT.  DOH. SORRY,  Too much White Lightning.

I never meant to post in this thread, i thought i was posting in the 'Why did the vRS not Sell'.   anyway same difference. Sorry, DOH.

The Fiesta ST is not on anything like the silly 205/40 r17 tyres the vRS was fitted with,

while the 3 sister cars were given 215/40 R 17 as standard.

Then when you take a Dealers Demonstrator out, you really need to check the tyre pressures, because 40 psi or greater on a nearly new car with 

cheap & not very Sport Orientated suspension just a bit lower, will possibly feel crashy.

Each to their own as we know, the Fiesta ST is a Lighter 3 door Manual car in the UK,

so really nothing to do with Bargain Priced 5 door autos with the same power and about the same price. 

Edited by goneoffSKi

My Fabia is just sat on a set out in the drive :(

Hmm. Id be after a set, but i think I'll look for some elegance wheels at some point, and use my current 15's as winters.

When cash allows that is. Insurance this month :( :(

hey Lee were these 15's and what was the rubber size? thanks

No 14's 165/70's.

You can only fit 14's on the 3 cylinder 1.2 petrols and the lower powered 1.4 diesels.

On the 1.2TSi Fabia and our BMW I just swap the tyres on the alloys twice a year. The Passat 235/45 17" winters are very expensive so I fit 16" steel wheels and 205/55's on that.

Lee