Rear ended

So a myopic septuagenarian imbecile has run straight into the back of my Fab while stationary at a roundabout, damage appears slight but on closer inspection the rear tailgate is now sitting 10mm higher than it was so I assume the hinges have been bent, the rear bumper and reinforcer element are toast. The hatchback opens and closes fine and there is no visible damage to the boot floor although the carpet/wheel cover seems a tighter fit at the back than it was. Overall I'm really pleased with how well the car took the shunt, my daughter and I both have stiff necks but nothing serious and the car drives as if nothing had happened. I'm guessing the insurance will write it off so I'm going to bank the cash and fix it and keep it. Any flaw in my plans?

You should ask bossfox - he's done up a few cat c's so should be able to help.

Glad you and your daughter are ok - if pursuing whiplash be aware they are on the case quite strongly now for fraudulent claims so whilst it may be sore go see your doctor first.

Edited by Ad Lav

Good for you - I avoided similar in my rapid last year as was just a light shunt by a dozy cow - pushed for whole bumper respray and upgraded courtesy car which was all claimed off her even though she denied hitting me!

What reg and mileage is yours?

Edited by Ad Lav

2000/W with 95,000 miles, literally just had a fresh MOT, Tax (straight pass, no advisories other than a chipped screen) and a full service, bloody typical!

Edit: All the comfort spec. cars with aircon I've seen advertised seem to go for about £1500 so this is what I'll hold out for from the filthy insurance leeches.

Edited by sepulchrave

Sweet jesus, I haven't taken a photo of a car I've owned unless I sold it on ebay, I normally just run 'em into the ground and then sell 'em for spares or repair or for scrap, I don't even have any pictures of my motorbikes. I have the odd picture of a customers car if it's rare and valuable.

• Like 1

I'll be selling my Elegance spec with 58K (at mo) later this year when I get the toy..........................

Other end of the country.......... :D ..............or different country depending on 18th Sept outcome....................... :x

The problem with Old Fabias is they usually end up Cat C as repair estimates are high to a low value.

Which as I'm sure you know means a VIC test before you can put it back on the road.

This can take 4-6 weeks to get booked once it's declared a write off and you apply.

Not a massive problem, but can be a PITA if you need the car on the road.

I might be able to help with any parts required, when you know what you need drop me a PM.

The problem with Old Fabias is they usually end up Cat C as repair estimates are high to a low value.

Which as I'm sure you know means a VIC test before you can put it back on the road.

This can take 4-6 weeks to get booked once it's declared a write off and you apply.

Not a massive problem, but can be a PITA if you need the car on the road.

I might be able to help with any parts required, when you know what you need drop me a PM.

Ta muchly.

Same thing happened to me last year at a roundabout. I was stationary at the give way line when a Vauxhall Zafira went into the back of my Fabia. The bang was horrendous and I was convinced that the whole back of the car was smashed in but when I got out and looked there was not a single mark on it. I couldn't believe it! Have since inspected the car thoroughly and there is no sign of damage at all. Vauxhall man was very apologetic and immediately admitted fault. I hope he pays attention to the road in future.

Who cares who I'm insured with, it's down to the idiot who hit me who he's insured with.

Oh dear such a curt response!

You say that you intend "bank the cash and fix it and keep it".

Well if Hastings are involved you WILL NOT be able to keep it, so this could be the flaw  in your plan you ask about. (If cover is TPFT  HD or any other insurer wont give a jot about you or your car). However, If you are not with HD then your plan should succeed.

Another point worthy of note is that roundabout collisions are notoriously difficult when trying to apportion blame, given independent witnesses are rarer than hens teeth, unless of course the third party admits fault and signs a statement at the scene, then that's game set and match.

From my industry experience a high proportion of roundabout collisions settle 50/50.

Moreover, If you were stationary on the give way lines and not in the roundabout then liability should easier to prove. 

I didn't mean to sound curt, it's just not the kind of advice I'm looking for right now.

I'm not with Hastings, I'm with AXA, they're paying me out then recovering the loss from his insurer.

I have an independant witness, third party has admitted liability, I was indeed stationary at the give way line.

This ain't my first rodeo, I was really looking for any flaw in the REPAIR side of the equation, not the admin. part, I've got that covered, my eldest daughter's an industry professional.