Tyre Pressure Warning

Received Tyre Pressure Warning Light on Friday afternoon whilst driving home.

Checked tyres and sure enough, one was going down. Inflated to normal pressure but alarm light still on.

Decided to fit spare - alarm remains on.

Do I have to cancel the alarm manually and how? 

Also if the spare does not have a TPMS transmitter the Light will remain on i believe.

The Superb doesn't have individual transmitters in each wheel, just a simple rolling radius/number of turns of each wheel system to work it out compared to each other wheel.

The Superb doesn't have individual transmitters in each wheel, just a simple rolling radius/number of turns of each wheel system to work it out compared to each other wheel.

Well for some reason my winter wheels always had the warning light but when refitted my standard oems I was able to reset and warning light went off. Also if it is rolling radius if spare tyre new and other tyres are worn the light could come on.

At the time had only just got car so i maybe didnt follow correct procedure will find out this year for definate. But my logic on new spare will work for rolling radius :)

Well for some reason my winter wheels always had the warning light but when refitted my standard oems I was able to reset and warning light went off. Also if it is rolling radius if spare tyre new and other tyres are worn the light could come on.

At the time had only just got car so i maybe didnt follow correct procedure will find out this year for definate. But my logic on new spare will work for rolling radius :)

There's a "Winter Tyres" setting in maxidot.

How much pressure loss was there to activate the light. When I had a blow out the sensor did not show, I have since read it will not show on a rapid deflation. Just when you may need it I would have thought!

I do check my pressures regularly and the most they have deflated by is about .2 bar.

The same system on my OH's Polo has saved a tyre twice. In both cases, a screw in the centre of the tread allowed the pressure to drop by about 5-6psi e.g from 32 to 26psi. Both tyres could be repaired as they had not damaged the sidewalls. 2x repairs = approx£26 vs 2x new tyres at approx £240.

Both of us happy it came as standard on the car.

As martin said, a quick blowout you know as quickly as any warning would sound

I did once have a blow out on a motor caravan (not mine) and it scared me half to death. Sounded like a shotgun discharge at very close range and was a real struggle to keep it on the road at 50 mph. Very little tyre left after only about 50 yards

I had a Xantia that had a blow out rear wheel, i had no idea until a car behind me indicated for me to pull over, the tyre was shredded. Citroen suspension was wonderful, flat shredded tyre at 70 mph hour and it kept going as if nothing was wrong :0).