Does anyone here lift?

rickf

Morning,

My main passion in lift is bodybuilding, although I was a competitive strongman for five years and I ran Wales strongest man 2013 & 2014.

I'm currently 9 weeks out from my first show, just wondered if anyone else competed or trained seriously.

60a325eeb9d1e7e4fa7e594a7b643370.jpg

(I'm the one on the left, guy on the right is ten days out from representing great Britain in the Arnolds classic in madrid.

45f2f187fbf9d0364f9f070126ab431d.jpg

I lift my own body weight about, use a garden hose on its' little 'trolley' as a weight to hold inbetween my legs. Pull ups and some 'pseudo' push ups is all I bother with. I would love to one day achieve the 'Planche' (a gymnastic position, relying heavily on the shoulders and core).

As well as circuit training and some jujitsu.

The truth is however that I am not the correct body type to even consider 'building'. Very low body fat is the only characteristic of a bodybuilder I will ever have :(

Glad to see you don't have excuses when training your legs. :thumbsup:

JRJG

• Like 1

Yes, I go 5 times a week and have done seriously for about 18 months now. I've been doing my first ever proper cut and have lost just over a stone now.

I've never enjoyed trying to loose weight as it often meant loosing strength, but I've managed to add strength and still drop BF.

What bf are you? My mate is around 10% and looks really good IMO of course!

Monday means one thing....I'm off to train chest and biceps in a bit! :)

• Like 1

Bf is a funny one for me... doing strongman for a long time I had quite the gut..... so my shoulders, back and quads are 7-8% but my stomach is showing around 12% ok caliper. ... It appears to be excess skin so here is hoping it will slowly tighten up

I lift my own body weight about, use a garden hose on its' little 'trolley' as a weight to hold inbetween my legs. Pull ups and some 'pseudo' push ups is all I bother with. I would love to one day achieve the 'Planche' (a gymnastic position, relying heavily on the shoulders and core).

As well as circuit training and some jujitsu.

The truth is however that I am not the correct body type to even consider 'building'. Very low body fat is the only characteristic of a bodybuilder I will ever have :(

Glad to see you don't have excuses when training your legs. :thumbsup:

JRJG

Leg day is the best day of the week!

I lift pints and kebabs-does this count?

I don't have a six pack, mine's a six sack.  Ideal protection when driving stuff with no airbags, or if I get stabbed.

Yes but just so I can get away with eating **** lol. I'm still playing football so don't want to get too big, it's hard enough work weighing 13.5 stone. But once those days are over I might look to bulk up. Not a fan of the competing side of body building, couldn't be doing with the effort to eat clean.... Fair play to you though mate.

Haha, excellent responses.... my diet for this show prep is pretty extreme go be honest.... but normally it's just lots of wholefoods and nothing processed with a cheat once a week which is pretty easy to stick too.

I have an iso bag which allows me to prep all my food the day before in to tubs to take to work measured out and ready to go.

I couldn't have that amount of bulk for the sports I do.............Swimming, ski-mountaineering, winter mountaineering, etc.................I have definition & muscle.....hell I have a Triangle shaped upper torso.............nice slim waist & broad shoulder (swimming rock climbing)........the six pack is there but is covered by a bit more body fat which is better for winter sports when you have to rely on the body fat near the end of the day or in an over night situation..........as for nude chest................I'd clog up the razer............ :no:

.....as for lifting I used to do strip sets on all the weights machines.......eg lift the heaviest 6 times, then take a big block off, lift 8 times, then take another big block of lift 12 times, etc.........until muscles aching...................on the arms I was lifting about 15ks more than my body weight........................not any more tho!

I got to the gym all psyched up yesterday for chest and it was shut! Gutted as I had to do a few hard hours graft after before I could get back last night. Still had a good session and gained a new PB.

Calisthenics/street,bar workout, ehat ever you wana call it. Was weight training for over ten years and was training for size. Looked good in a tshirt but it was just a tub of lard round my middle. Swapped to calisthenics about 2 years ago and lost 2 stone but maintained size. I was training for health and strength over looks and the funny thing is i look better! Everyone says bodyweight training doesnt build muscle, well your wrong. Look at guys like hannibal for king and frank medrano on you tube thats where i got my insperation. And not trying to sound big headded im gettin quite good. Mastered the muscle up and slow muscle up, planche etc. Just need to work on my hand stand. Also i have done go ju ryu for 30 years.Frank Medrano - Superhuman Bodyweight Workout Dom…:

Mastered the muscle up and slow muscle up, planche etc. Just need to work on my hand stand.

Any tips on Planche and muscle up progression?

I have begun weighted pull ups recently and noticed that when doing an unweighted set of pull ups, I can almost throw myself up to the bar, but no way near enough to get 'over' it.

As for the planche, I am near enough back to square one and just doing slow pseudo push ups, as well as rocking back and holding (as horizontal as possible, but with legs still tucked in) from a dip position.

What would you suggest to aim for? Or what to concentrate on?

JRJG

Sent ya a pm jrjg. Muscle ups are hard but everythin is doable if you just stick at it. I get alot of people at the gym askin how i do stuff, its a pritty new way of training. I have been doing it about 2 years now and i can see it gathering mumentum. Im in the process of building my own rig in my garden for my own use but also to give people lessons. If it takes of great if it doesnt hey ho.

Doing a bit of body weight stuff following Neila Rey's workouts.

Been doing palms away pull ups (5 sets 3 times weekly) for around a month and can already do 7 reps a set. It's only just starting to show size increase. I'm increasing 1 rep per set each week. 1st workout with 1 min rest, 2 workout 40 secs and final workout 20sec rest.

Actually started doing them to help strengthen my back. Sounds odd but I feel bigger/wider if that makes sense.

Struggle with squats and lunges though.

• Like 1

Keep it up mate. Chin ups are a great upper body workout. Works every muscle. Go on youtube and look at some veriations. Keep it fresh and keep mixing it up and you will soon get them reps upto 10.

• Like 1