Vacuum woes

mad_rich

I have a couple of problems with my 02 plate 1.9 Tdi Fabia which I believe may be related to vacuum hoses.

1. The turbo disappears completely after 10-30 minutes of driving. This is fixed by cycling the ignition.

2. A handful of times in the last few months I've had the brake pedal go hard.

I've already tried disconnecting the MAF (made it worse) cleaning the turbo vanes with Mr Muscle (no change) and have replaced the vacuum box (it was making a fizzing sound anyway).

Reading these and other forums suggests these might be related. Particularly this post (although it's about an Audi, I think it's relevant?)

So I think I need to change the vacuum hoses and brake booster hose.

I've ordered some silicone hoses off eBay. Hopefully that's easy enough to do.

Do I need one of these one of these for the brake booster?

I'm not hugely confident in what I'm doing, so was looking for some step by step instructions. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

I'll give the WD-40 trick a go. I've sprayed it liberally everywhere else in the car so a bit more can't hurt. Just to be sure, you squirt it into the vacuum box and hoses?

Now I'm more confused about the brake booster. Hopefully they can identify it by the chassis number.

Well the brake booster has been ordered and fitted. Picked it up from the dealer today. Sam84 was right about the 

Reasonably easy to fit. The tricky part is getting enough force to push it into position in the bulkhead. It needs a good shove, and there's not really much room around there to get your weight behind it. Managed in the end though.

My silicone hose turned up too, but the 3mm stuff looks *really* thin by the time it's stretched over the nipples. I've ordered some 4mm stuff and will see how that goes. Two further questions:

1. Some of the hoses run very close to the engine block. Do these need protecting further?

2. What is the hose that runs down back to the underside of the engine? Is that the turbo itself? That one is badly damaged, from heat I think. I suspect it will be the culprit. Not looking forward to replacing it though, as it's out of sight.

Cheers all.

What is the hose that runs down back to the underside of the engine? Is that the turbo itself? That one is badly damaged, from heat I think. I suspect it will be the culprit. Not looking forward to replacing it though, as it's out of sight.

New 4mm hose getting here today.

Can anyone help with the Q above? It's really awkward to get at. I have visions of breaking the nipple and/ or not being able to get the new hose on as it's out of sight.

The one your on about goes to actuator on turbo yeah, you won't break the nipple off the actuator as they are steel! (Presuming its the same as a vrs that is!)

The best tool to help you here is a small extendable mirror from a tool shop, and a good led torch/lamp :)

New 4mm hose getting here today.

Can anyone help with the Q above? It's really awkward to get at. I have visions of breaking the nipple and/ or not being able to get the new hose on as it's out of sight.

it may be steel but others arn't and get very brittle,  better to either squeeze radially(pinch) then pull  or cut in a diagonal direction

Wow!

The hose didn't turn up today so I bodged it with some tape for the time being. The difference is amazing. 150 miles this morning with turbo all the way!

Definitely found the problem. To think Škoda wanted to sell me a new turbo for over £1k, and it wouldn't have fixed the problem...