Fabia Ice

Neo_VR

Whats the standard Fabia system like? im thinking of buying a vRS. and i like my music, so a half decent sound system is essential!. how many speakers does it have and what are its weakpoints?..

thanks in advance

Col G

Stock system is good, but if you really like music (like me) I would do a bit of upgrading.

Weakpoints are probably the door speakers, which don't like much abuse (I blew one a while back)

I'm about to setup a sub & amp in my boot, which will help, but generally stock is good, unlike the octy's would appear. :thumbup:

Col,

If no one's said it before, then welcome to Briskoda :)

Can't really comment on the fab RS audio setup, but can on the standard fabia - the speakers (IMHO) are not too bad, although quite a few other fab owners haven't liked them too much. Weakpoints are liable to be poor handling of high volume and/or heavy bass.

I've changed the headunit in mine and added a sub/amp to the boot, which is good enough for me right now... although at some point in the future I might build a "stealth" parcel shelf and put something a bit meatier in there...

I'd suggest you take your fave CD down to your local dealer (fab RS has a cd player, right?) and give it a spin and see how it goes. I'd imagine you'd end up changing the head unit and adding a multi-changer at some point, instead of keeping the skoda headunit...

Standard fabia stereo isn't to bad but i found the door speakers a bit poor at higher (Full) volume so changed them for some sony ones as well as having 2 subs and an amp in the boot and there is more to come. As for the head unit it's not bad but mine was only a tape player so i have changed it to a cd player because i dont actually have any tapes.

Originally posted by Bigal in this post

... as well as having 2 subs and an amp in the boot ...

2 subs is just greedy! Did you do an "install" - i.e. make it all look nice, or is it just bolted in place wherever it would fit?

If you've got any pictures I'd like to see the setup :D

Originally posted by Stimps in this post

Col,

If no one's said it before, then welcome to Briskoda :)

Cheers... :)

ive been around for a while, since going on a multi-forum NW drive out in feburary.. (ask Tavia4x4 about the Clio WRX lol) after being resident on the SeatCupraNet forums for a while, wanting a Ibiza TDI130, i test drove the Fabia vRS last night.. and i love it!! its a more "grown up" car than the Ibiza, and the build quality is infinately superior!!! :p sooo, fingers crossed, in a month or two.. i should be driving round in a nice new 53 reg Black Magic vRS :eek: :D

Originally posted by Tavia4x4 in this post

owdo col - looking forward to the next driveout? :D

aye. beware scoobys!!! :p i was up there a few weeks ago, and around trough of bowland, i had to stop 3 times coz me brakes overheated :eek:

you knew it was only a matter of time until i turned to the "dark side" :D;)

When we were in the pub, whilst distracted by the barmaid, we inserted a "conversion chip" in the back of your skull.

It was *supposed* to trigger 09/03/03, only we got the date in USA format and it's sat dormant until now.

:D

hehehe.. thats probably the one!

:eek: thats quite scary.. i could effectively have bought a new car by the end of today :cool:

ill hold off the jabba until its done 10k. then ill be after YOU!!

The standard Fabia stereo is fine. It looks discrete, like a plain part of a plain dashboard. The ergonomics are good: push knob for on and off, twiddle it for volume, press buttons to change station. Because it will only fit a Fabia it's very unlikely to be a target for thieves.

There's just one thing wrong with it: it plays things called 'compact cassettes'. For the benefit of any young persons here these were plastic cases that held spools of very narrow tape. You don't often see them now and I haven't bought one myself since the late eighties.

They were truly hateful things with a nasty background hiss. The tape invariably got chewed up in the player. I seem to remember this was a particular propblem in cars when you turned on the ignition.

For some reasons (perhaps so that they can charge extra for a CD player) some car manufacturers persist in installing players for these things in new cars.

To be fair, things may have changed in the four months since I bought my Fabia and I'd be surprised if the vRS doesn't have a CD player: even the current Silverline has one.

The speakers are fine but I'm the sort of person who turns the volume down when pulling into a residential street so I don't exactly test them to their limits.

Update: Just looked on the Skoda web site. Apparently the vRS has a Symphony CD player. I think this is the one installed in the Octavia so I'm sure plenty here will be able to comment. On the other hand, I believe the speakers aren't as good in the Octavia so it may sound better.

Originally posted by Welliesorter in this post

The speakers are fine but I'm the sort of person who turns the volume down when pulling into a residential street so I don't exactly test them to their limits.

Hehe.. so its not just me then :)

im sure the ICE should be fine for me, altho the Clio did have a damn good system...

I had the pleasure of a 1.2 Clio "MTV" hire car once, drove from northants to lancs and back again - damn nice little car and quite a nice CD player \ speakers (but then I think the CD player was the point of the MTV model?)

Oh, it has the 16v twin lights also - looked quite neat.

Hehehe. ahh the MTV. the scandal of the century..

it never actually had an uprated system.. and anyone who found out... "errm, sorry, your car was inadvertantly fitted with the standard system.. (the 40w and the 22w look identical)

i do like my clio.. was just getting a bit fed up when the engine is buzzing away at 4.5k at 80mph

Umm, figured the standard models had a tape deck, the MTV had a CD player? How could they look identical?

naa, the cd players look the same.. most of the "sporty" ones.. like the S and the Dynamique have cd players..

these aint no skodas. yer know.. most the people who drive clios dont know what tapes are :p