Corroded discs

Nortones2

A "Vehicle Health Check" was carried out on 3 September 2014 as part of a routine service of my Yeti. This identified front and rear brakes binding, and discs corroded. There was a recommendation to change the brake fluid based on elapsed time. There was also a minor issue with the rear wash nozzle  and cap: alluded to in my post in the topic about the gap on the rear wiper.

In a video emailed to me that day, the discs were described as excessively corroded. The technician strongly recommended that both front and rear discs be replaced.  This was put to me at the time of the service, at a cost of circa £400, but I declined to take immediate action, not being convinced as the car had been given an MoT pass on 20 August, without any advisories.

Today I arranged for a VAG garage to  change  the brake fluid, and sort out the rear wash/wipe. As part of the service they carried out a visual check of the vehicle, the report on which was given to me. The discs were rated as OK. No comments, no advisories. I hadn't mentioned anything about the recent history.

I am concerned that a rather expensive “solution" was offered, when all that was needed was a bit of applied common sense, where low mileage vehicles might show superficial rust.

i doubt this was a situation requiring 4 new discs, shown by the fact the corrosion has been removed by braking firmly a few times. I have looked again as far as I can, and the discs are shiny where the pads are applied.

No names at the moment. I am trying to get in touch with the service manager as a starting point.  

Any views? I realise this issue is not completely cut and dried, judgement being important, but I think it was an attempted con!
Edited by Nortones2

On the other hand, VW advised replacement of disc brake pads on my Touran when it was 3 years old. I declined and when I replaced them at 8 years old?, the [different] garage was a little suprised as they had a lot of life left in them.

Colin

Dealers do this sort of **** all the time. They trade on weakness and misinformation. If you don't know what you're looking at, your best bet is to find an honest independent garage, and pay for a fair and objective view.

Agree...They gave me an advisory on my discs..I was going to change them anyway because they looked rusty and was spoiling the look of the car

When I asked the mechanic,

"Why I was given an advisory", he told me that they have to by the Service manager

I said'

" OK..is there anything wrong with them?"

..."No", he replied

They are just out to make money..simple

• Like 1

The service manager was apparently always in meetings, so I was contacted by an underling. Relayed the tale, but nothing forthcoming, understandably as he hadn't seen the video personally. Have emailed the service manager direct after a couple of days quiescence. I don't expect anything concrete, but I think it's ridiculous to jump to "replace all 4".  SWMBO is nagging the word Honda in my direction....

I'm just wondering what you are expecting to get from the Service Manager?  They recommended some work which you declined.  You're not out of pocket.  The best you can expect, I'd suggest, is that he will agree that the technician was over-zealous in his evaluation of the condition of the discs.  If it was me, that wouldn't do much if anything to make me trust them with any of my business in future.  Worst case, you'll spend time and effort having an argument with them about it, and end up exactly where you were before: with a dealer you don't trust, and another place you do trust that you can take your business to.

What's to gain by rubbing his nose in it?  Name and shame and leave it at that.

• Like 3

Speaking to the service manager gets them to concentrate on the issues. Arranged to meet at the garage to clear up what they say compared with what I see, and have been advised on.The discs are now shiny and not worn!  They recommended some work, which seems out of proportion to the symptoms. When the situation has been discussed, I'll consider the next steps. As I said to them, it may be that the braking system needs some cleaning etc.  Replacing discs ad lib won't necessarily do that.

Edited by Nortones2

I am going to concede. I went to see the dealer, and the workshop foreman pointed out the corrosion and pitting, and explained the implications of the issues on the inner faces of the disks. The rears are corroding from the outer circumference on the inners, and clearly the pad is not getting full application. The front offside inner is corroded over a 12-14mm band on the outer edge, and again points to partial pad bite.   All 4 discs and pads to be replaced. 

However, one good point is the fixed price Skoda offer per axle. Somewhat less (£100 approx) than the price quoted at the service desk. I tried other sources but they end up around the same price, and bit of a risk re work quality/parts. 

I am going to concede. I went to see the dealer, and the workshop foreman pointed out the corrosion and pitting, and explained the implications of the issues on the inner faces of the disks. The rears are corroding from the outer circumference on the inners, and clearly the pad is not getting full application. The front offside inner is corroded over a 12-14mm band on the outer edge, and again points to partial pad bite.  

Mmm. not really. The size/contact area of the pad is not really relevant to stopping power (laws of physics). Yes a smaller area will wear faster and increase the start of brake fade on that caliper, ie less heat can be conducted to the disc and then hopefully dissipated.

The only test is - do the brakes stop the car, brake test on MoT etc . If they are rusty in patches and don't give vibration, but give good readings on test, then carry on until they are worn out.

Yes, it may look "odd" if you stare at them, but do you scrutinise the underside of your vehicle in the same way - you might be "surprised" at the muck splattered about which looks terrible :think:

I whipped my rear pads out last week at 38k miles as signs of rust at the edge of the disc and a ridge on the inside of one of them. I lubed the caliper sliders and pad location areas and put it all back again as nothing was really wrong for this mileage. It looks like the pads and discs will wear out together :nerd:

Just my 2ps worth

• Like 2

I wouldn't be concerned about corrosion on the rear discs. Happens on a lot of cars, mine included - there's quite a wide band of corrosion on both of my rear discs.

The rears don't do much work anyway compared to the fronts (which is why my rear wheels are still silver and the fronts are completely black...!).

I would be marginally more concerned about a 12-14mm band of corrosion on the outer edge of the fronts though, never had that on any cars I've owned; only corrosion is on the actual edge of the disc (where there is no pad contact) and maybe a very thin ring around the very edge of the face.

Incidentally, I drive through Buxton every day. White '11 CR170 Elegance.

Regular trips along Long Hill keep my brakes (well the front ones anyway) rust free :D

Hi Muddyboots. Yes, plenty of corners and hills to test the brakes! The run over to Macclesfield, down by Bottom of the Oven, also gives a good workout. I've actually had a Golf fade the brakes over that stretch. Not pleasant.

I wondered about the rear set, but there is a band of corrosion on the outer edge around the inner side of one disc, and the outer of the other.  Despite strong braking,  I've not been able to make much impact on the front offside inner surface, and there are concentric rings adjacent, less obvious.     As it was put to me, the pads may have become more worn at that point, are not cleaning off the rust, and the corrosion spreads. There is some drag on both axles, but how freely a wheel should turn I know not. Does need a bit of a push to rotate. 

Will be putting  a good few miles on the Yeti soon, so will see if if there is any change.