Fabia vRS TDi replacement suggestions please

I really like the way my Fabia drives, the low down torque, speed and economy but, it's ten years old now and I would like to have a newer car that drives the same way, so I'm looking for suggestions. I had thought of the MK 2 Fabia 105 bhp Monte Carlo and get it remapped but I'm not a big fan of the looks. (Swmbo reckons it's an old mans car). I don't need that grief yet!

So, any thought guys?

Edited by Coffin Dodger

I spent months thinking the same when I wanted to change, and concluded that there's really not much out there that I'd consider an equal replacement for a Fabia vRS. Monte is nice, but only a 5-speed gearbox, six would be better in my opinion. I eventually went 'Golf' because it's a lazy but reasonable choice.

From someone whos had newer hatches (A1 1.6TDI, BMW 123d), nothing offers bang for buck like the vRS. I've only had mine for 3 weeks, but I can easily say it's the best value car I've ever bought! Yes it's a bit dated inside, but it doesn't take much to freshen it up and just enjoy it for what it is. I couldn't justify spending an extra £1500 on a SE vRS, but if I were looking to spend a bit more then that's definitely an option IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I could always keep it and just spend serious money on it but, then you have a fight with the insurance company if someone wallops it :-(

I would need to spend about 3-4K to get it back to absolute pristine again. Paint job, all the wheels refurbed, new turbo, new front and rear screens, some interior trims, and a full set of mk2 seats (Monte Carlo or VRS). That would about cover it and make it look new again.

Decisions, decisions, there is always the choice of a Volvo C30 2.0 D D4, a Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart 1.5 T, a Mini Cooper S, a Golf GT Tdi or perhaps a Suzuki Swift Sport, sadly there is no direct replacement for the VRS Fabia Tdi.

I once said that I'd only sell it to get a newer one but the newest one I can get is still 7 years old.

Fook!  what to do? It still puts a smile on my face when I drive it too!

• Like 1

Buy a newer one in better nick, or go to a golf or a3 with similar performance. Or take one 'fix' at a time and get yours back up to scratch. There's nothing more rewarding (or costly) than a project

Mine isn't in bad nick, for it's age it looks very good, it's just, I'm a bit of a perfectionist (my OCD kicks in all too often) I've spent around 1.5 K in the last two years getting everything I wanted done on it to get it back up to standard mechanically. Sadly the paint work on the body and the wheels are showing their age these days, as are the seat covers, particularly the drivers. (Constant cleaning doesn't help) Swmbo is getting less and less appreciative of the dosh I have spent on it and want to spend on it.

When the time comes to let the vrs go I would be stuck what to have next, not many cars out there that can give you the returns that the fabia gives you, easy to maintain and service, buy original parts from TPS, 500 miles return on brim tank fill. Puts a smile everytime I hop in her and drive. Tough car to follow.

• Like 1

When the time comes to let the vrs go I would be stuck what to have next, not many cars out there that can give you the returns that the fabia gives you, easy to maintain and service, buy original parts from TPS, 500 miles return on brim tank fill. Puts a smile everytime I hop in her and drive. Tough car to follow.

Been there done that, this is my second Fabia VRS for those very reasons, I don't generally do buying the same car twice but, as you say, a tough act to follow.

There is a lot I could do and spend but, you get to the point of diminishing returns or alternatively, throwing good money after bad, mine is getting to the difficult decision stage mainly down to my OCD. It's getting harder (more costly) to maintain to the standard I need it to be at.

A5 3.0 tdi Quattro

Had a shot of my nephews, lovely brief, just can't afford it though. £800 for a set of tyres is a tad extravagant in my book, ffs you could buy a decent wee puddle jumper for that sort of money! Arm and a leg for an Audi service, no got to stay in the sensible price range sadly.