New Channel 4 Series Filming

DarrellGB

This October I'm being filmed for a pilot for a new show tackling the topic of being a man in 2014. All going well it will role into a series for 2015. It will be set in a pub with blokes chatting around the things facing them.

So here's your chance to throw in some ideas, for you, what does it really mean to be a man today?

Are the days of living to a code, values, honour, integrity gone, or are they still around?

The age of manly men has pretty much disappeared and been replaced with office dwellers that wear suits all the time and smell like a whores handbag. I work on a farm and the number of "men" I hear saying "I couldn't do that" or "How do you put up with the smell" is shocking, seriously, grow up and put up with it you wuss. And the amount of people that think they can come into the job and then quit or get sacked less than a year in because they can't do it but make a hash of it and destroy the industry in the process is too high as well. Part of the "I'm a man therefore I can" attitude, well no, you're not, you just sit there tapping keys all day.

Not meaning to offend any office dwelling Briskodians.

• Like 4

The age of manly men has pretty much disappeared and been replaced with office dwellers that wear suits all the time and smell like a whores handbag. I work on a farm and the number of "men" I hear saying "I couldn't do that" or "How do you put up with the smell" is shocking, seriously, grow up and put up with it you wuss. And the amount of people that think they can come into the job and then quit or get sacked less than a year in because they can't do it but make a hash of it and destroy the industry in the process is too high as well. Part of the "I'm a man therefore I can" attitude, well no, you're not, you just sit there tapping keys all day.

Sorry but people have been saying that for years, not just "modern man". There are even references to unpleasant farming smells in Chaucer and Shakespeare.

lol yeah, and what's with all the 'product' blokes use nowadays; I mean, ****ing L'Oreal Men Expert ****ing face cream and **** :D Man up FFS. I'm sure there's some blokes who spend more time in the bog preening and applying 'product' than my missus spends in there.

Four S's, ****, shower, shampoo and shave. Job done, nowt else needed.

• Like 3

lol yeah, and what's with all the 'product' blokes use nowadays; I mean, ******* L'Oreal Men Expert ******* face cream and **** :D Man up FFS. I'm sure there's some blokes who spend more time in the bog preening and applying 'product' than my missus spends in there.

Shampoo?? :D

• Like 2

What is the best man bag to carry all your tech and hair products in?

A black bin liner, right outside for collection.

My bossed son (not the one that works with us on the farm, the other one) is a copper in Leads. He sometimes comes and does a little bit of tractor work if we're stuck for labor, or he used to anyway. He used to always come smelling of bottled c**p, to go working on a farm FFS!

• Like 1

A black bin liner, right outside for collection.

My bossed son (not the one that works with us on the farm, the other one) is a copper in Leads.

yes, copper is usually used in leads :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

• Like 4

Men are no longer considered the 'bread winners'. Plenty of women now out perform their partners financially/career, and are expected to be mothers, often delaying family life. Discuss

Edited by Oli3000
  • Like 1

I have no care in what anyone classifies me as.

I believe in me.

Oh, and it's SH*G, ****, shave, shower, shampoo, what's wrong with the rest of you?  :D

• Like 2

It's the entitlement culture, to many people want handed to them the things that should be earned.

• Like 1

lol yeah, and what's with all the 'product' blokes use nowadays; I mean, ******* L'Oreal Men Expert ******* face cream and **** :D Man up FFS. I'm sure there's some blokes who spend more time in the bog preening and applying 'product' than my missus spends in there.

Shave!! Proper men have beards ;)

• Like 1

Through SWMBO and through work, I'm friendly with several fragrant, successful, driven, slim, articulate, attractive, fashionable women in their early to mid thirties who have all but given up trying to secure male partners who don't feel intimidated by their way of living life. Seems like a cruel punishment for all the suffering of women trying to progress in the workplace. All the rules of my fathers generation (seemingly) have gone out the window. Personally, I've just had 12 months off caring for my son, because my wife was unable to physically care for our son, and earns a slightly higher wage. Without going through further personal experiences of contradictory gender role assignment, IMO, the modern man's key attribute is an open mind, and flexibility. I think the concept of "women's work" will be all but dead in a generation.

• Like 2

I have to say the younger generation of male workers that I have and so still work with do fit with the modern image is everything way of life. Spend a fortune on individual items of clothes, trainers hair waxes etc. and they definately don't knuckle down and graft the way I and older workers do....most Definetly it's give me what I'm entitled to whilst doing the easiest or least amount of work.

One lad I work with will always take the easiest option to avoid any real physical graft. And the amazing thing is he's physically the biggest put of all our staff.

Gone it seems are the folk that will really press on and get the job done, as they care less about the line of work they're in....just want the cash.

• Like 1

Through SWMBO and through work, I'm friendly with several fragrant, successful, driven, slim, articulate, attractive, fashionable women in their early to mid thirties who have all but given up trying to secure male partners who don't feel intimidated by their way of living life. Seems like a cruel punishment for all the suffering of women trying to progress in the workplace. All the rules of my fathers generation (seemingly) have gone out the window. Personally, I've just had 12 months off caring for my son, because my wife was unable to physically care for our son, and earns a slightly higher wage. Without going through further personal experiences of contradictory gender role assignment, IMO, the modern man's key attribute is an open mind, and flexibility. I think the concept of "women's work" will be all but dead in a generation.

Part of the way I hope the programme goes is to highlight how priority changes pushed on us by perceived issues is actually damaging families. For me, I have robust priority list which places my wife and children far above work, my wife and kids don't need things, they need me, anything else on top is a blessing and a bonus.

What you are doing is stepping to the plate with, in my opinion, your priorities in very much the right order.

Shave!! Proper men have beards ;)

Mrs grr would agree with that, she'd never be with a clean shaven bloke. 

But she out earns me so it's 50/50 masculinity split there, she earns more but I'm hairier.  

And I'm certainly not intimidated by her ability to earn a six figure salary either. Why would I be?

I've been with her since long before she was qualified and sat there for hours on end doing revision and

flash cards with her to get her through her degree, (She got a first with honours)  then did another 3+ years

of it when she had finished her degree and began her next professional qualification. The second qualification

usually takes on average 6-7 years to achieve around a full time job but somehow my girl did it in 3 and a half.

She's very driven. LOL  I'm the practical one, and far more of a housekeeper than she could be.She's a career

woman through and through certainly matching the description of  "fragrant, successful, driven, slim, articulate,

attractive, fashionable women in their early to mid thirties"  

We have a great standard of living and certainly wouldn't be off for (another) month long holiday with no

real budget constraints if she hadn't done so well and we hadn't refrained from having kids.

This time round 3 weeks in New Zealand and a week in Kuala Lumpur. On the whole I mustn't grumble.

Life is good, I do the bulk of the cooking, cleaning, housework, washing and shopping. I also do my own work

(General builder/renovations), manage and maintain our rental property interests and do all the legwork viewing new

properties for us to consider investing in. Between us we have all the bases covered with our particular skills.

I must confess I do have a gardener though, I can't stand gardening and although my Mrs likes gardening

she's also a gym bunny and hits the gym twice a day most days. Her down time is limited and having Dave

keep the garden neat and tidy means we just get to sit out there at the weekend instead of spending what

scant time off she has keeping our mature garden under control and pleasant looking.  

A proper partnership. Men who are intimidated by women who have done better than them are ancient relics

and are pathetic if they need to feel they are superior to their partner in order to have any worth. 

You can spot them easy enough, they are the guys you see who sit in the car with the paper while the wife walks

round the supermarket shopping for their food. Dinosaurs. 

• Like 2

Mrs grr would agree with that, she'd never be with a clean shaven bloke. 

But she out earns me so it's 50/50 masculinity split there, she earns more but I'm hairier.  

And I'm certainly not intimidated by her ability to earn a six figure salary either. Why would I be?

I've been with her since long before she was qualified and sat there for hours on end doing revision and

flash cards with her to get her through her degree, (She got a first with honours)  then did another 3+ years

of it when she had finished her degree and began her next professional qualification. The second qualification

usually takes on average 6-7 years to achieve around a full time job but somehow my girl did it in 3 and a half.

She's very driven. LOL  I'm the practical one, and far more of a housekeeper than she could be.She's a career

woman through and through certainly matching the description of  "fragrant, successful, driven, slim, articulate,

attractive, fashionable women in their early to mid thirties"  

We have a great standard of living and certainly wouldn't be off for (another) month long holiday with no

real budget constraints if she hadn't done so well and we hadn't refrained from having kids.

This time round 3 weeks in New Zealand and a week in Kuala Lumpur. On the whole I mustn't grumble.

Life is good, I do the bulk of the cooking, cleaning, housework, washing and shopping. I also do my own work

(General builder/renovations), manage and maintain our rental property interests and do all the legwork viewing new

properties for us to consider investing in. Between us we have all the bases covered with our particular skills.

I must confess I do have a gardener though, I can't stand gardening and although my Mrs likes gardening

she's also a gym bunny and hits the gym twice a day most days. Her down time is limited and having Dave

keep the garden neat and tidy means we just get to sit out there at the weekend instead of spending what

scant time off she has keeping our mature garden under control and pleasant looking.  

A proper partnership. Men who are intimidated by women who have done better than them are ancient relics

and are pathetic if they need to feel they are superior to their partner in order to have any worth. 

You can spot them easy enough, they are the guys you see who sit in the car with the paper while the wife walks

round the supermarket shopping for their food. Dinosaurs.

Another interesting angle, you tie being a man or masculinity with how much you earn, I'm sure that will pop up a lot.

I don't no.But society does, and being honest I'm not sure why? 

I've been with my mrs for well over a decade and there have been times

when bringing in the bacon has been more my responsibility.  It's just that as

a couple we have evolved into our current arrangement to suit our circumstances

and play to our strengths. 

My wife works in a male dominated field which was more the reason for my point.

We've turned the 'traditional' values on their head but still have a equal responsibility

overall in our partnership. I'm a bearded housewife and builder. You don't get much less 

traditional than that. 

Today.

Get up, prepare wifes breakfast and lunch while she showers.  Kiss goodbye and then my day starts. 

Got friends over for dinner tonight, home made chicken jalfrezi is already prepared and cooking in the slow

cooker as I type this.

I'm eating my breakfast at the mo then I'm putting a batch of washing washing on which takes about 2 hrs.

In that 2 hrs  I have to go to one of my rental properties and meet the gas safe bloke I use and have an

annual gas safety check done. While he's doing that my tenant has asked for some more shelves in the

kitchen cupboards so I'll be getting that done. 

Come home and get washing out to dry, then to a bathroom job I'm working on to reinstate all the electrics

I removed yesterday while I painted the ceiling and install new lighting and switches. 

Then Into supermarket to grab a few bits for tonight for our dinner guests. (beer ;) )

We're going on holiday in a week and a bit for a whole month and have directive from wife to get my hair cut

so I'm not a scruff in the  holiday pictures have an appointment for that at 2.15 it needs a cut now so in 

5 weeks time it will be in my eyes.

Come home and more prep for dinner, raita salad to make etc

Then if there's time an hour or two out on the motorbike because we are expecting storms at the weekend.

Get last bit of dinner prep done and lay the table.  Then wifey will come home from work and we will entertain

our friends when they arrive at 8.

I'm keeping the day relatively free as I'm at the contracts stage of a property deal and may have to rush 

off and sign some stuff and move some money around at some point today if I get the call from my 

conveyancer. 

• Like 1

I think the traditional role of the "man" has been erroded over time by the need for two wage earners to support a family (not everyone has done as well as Garry describes above or decided to remain childless) and the feminisation of the male by image/cosmetic/fashion corporations to generate a new market as the female market was already fully used.

It's a much more balanced thing now with relationships about sharing jobs and responsibilities.

Don't start me on man bags or products.

My wife thinks men like this are a bunch of fairies.

• Like 3

Male products....Pah! 

Firstly there isn't enough room in our bathroom as Mrs grr owns enough make up

to support an Alice Cooper world tour. And enough potions and lotions and scrubs

and soaps to kill all marine life if it was all chucked into the ocean at once.

So I use whatever shampoo she uses but Head and Shoulders smooth and silky :dull:

is the current flavour of the month. I use Wrights coal tar soap, always have.

Lynx deodorant usually Africa and toothpaste. That's it 4 products.

I stick cotton buds in my ears a bit more than most fellas probably but I wear earplugs on

the bike so like to keep my earholes clean.     

• Like 1