Dacia doing advertising right.

Dr Zoidberg

Still waiting for them to they their thumb out of their bum and make the 2.0 litre and auto trans available in europe.

I've driven the dCi and the 1.6 Petrol. maybe with a remap they'd be good, but they're terrible in their original configuration. And the dCi sounds more like a broken sewing machine than a diesel engine.

I see a sandero the other week. It had plain plastic non colour coded bumpers and tiny steel wheels. Proper early 90's looking. I liked it.

Exactly this. Saw the same thing a few days ago in the city and it looked pretty special in a base and stripped back way.

I don't find Dacia offensive but the tech they're based on cannot be up to much. Its using a Renault parts bin from a time when Renaults weren't the most reliable. I know they've upped their game recently but have they put the modern stuff into Dacias? Not brave enough to find out. Good luck to those who are though, plenty of custom to hoover up that Skoda have alienated. 

Exactly this. Saw the same thing a few days ago in the city and it looked pretty special in a base and stripped back way.

I don't find Dacia offensive but the tech they're based on cannot be up to much. Its using a Renault parts bin from a time when Renaults weren't the most reliable. I know they've upped their game recently but have they put the modern stuff into Dacias? Not brave enough to find out. Good luck to those who are though, plenty of custom to hoover up that Skoda have alienated.

Fair shout, and i agree.

But if theyre £6k for a brand new one. Well, thats half the price of a midrange fabia.

if you usually swap your cars every 4 years, then you could have a brand new one every 2 with a Dacia. It should last that long, surely haha.

The one big problem with Dacia is that they STILL insist on saying their name wrong, THERE IS NO "H"  IN THERE!!!!!.

Or that James May was saying it wrong so everyone copied him.

Most people pronounce Skoda Fabia incorrectly and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

The one big problem with Dacia is that they STILL insist on saying their name wrong, THERE IS NO "H"  IN THERE!!!!!.

Incorrect, chap.

It is pronounced Da-cha, just watch the ads on youtube; this original one from early 2013 shows how long this has been corrected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7TYDyNUaI

Dealer staff originally started by saying Daycia until they were corrected by management.

Fair shout, and i agree.

But if theyre £6k for a brand new one. Well, thats half the price of a midrange fabia.

if you usually swap your cars every 4 years, then you could have a brand new one every 2 with a Dacia. It should last that long, surely haha.

We'll find out in about 18 months time whether the brand is a flier or not- my 407 was a perfect car for the first twelve months or so... 

• Like 1

We'll find out in about 18 months time whether the brand is a flier or not- my 407 was a perfect car for the first twelve months or so...

My dad had a daewoo once. Big 4x4 thing. Was alright for about 6 months. Then the handles all started falling off, he got stuck in a field because 4x4 wouldnt engage, it was dropping to bits.

I wonder it Dacia is a direct rival for daewoo/Chevy. Hmm. They are cheaper then a them.

I can understand the premise of them being cheaper because they're assembled from tech that has long since been developed and profited from. The tooling, R+D and reliability were already done before the cars were ever conceived (barring some cosmetic differences). I'm not sure what platform the Duster 4x4 is on but if its on the Scenic off-roader base then I should imagine most will be scrap in less than six years. 

• Like 1

I can understand the premise of them being cheaper because they're assembled from tech that has long since been developed and profited from. The tooling, R+D and reliability were already done before the cars were ever conceived (barring some cosmetic differences). I'm not sure what platform the Duster 4x4 is on but if its on the Scenic off-roader base then I should imagine most will be scrap in less than six years. 

It's on the BO Dacia platform, a stretched Nissan B platform used on the Juke and Note, it's not as old as you think

• Like 1

Incorrect, chap.

It is pronounced Da-cha, just watch the ads on youtube; this original one from early 2013 shows how long this has been corrected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG7TYDyNUaI

Dealer staff originally started by saying Daycia until they were corrected by management.

(Someone didnt get the joke).

Actually, when they were on sale here donkeys years ago, they WERE referred to as Day-ce-a; hence the talk about the change of name pronunciation on TG when they were giving the news about them returning to the UK a while back.

It's on the BO Dacia platform, a stretched Nissan B platform used on the Juke and Note, it's not as old as you think

However, that's not reflected in the ride. While the juke didn't exactly ride well, the ride on the duster is pretty shocking.

Should be okay then  :thumbup:

My typo it's B0 not BO, too!

Dacia cannot lose as they have access to Renault (and therefore Nissan) platforms and parts bins of existing/last gen stuff without the huge development costs of producing a new model.

They pick a fairly decent model such as the last gen Clio and offer it under a new name and panel-work for a lower price than the current model.

I'm a fan of this strategy, after all I'm on a Skoda site and this was how they started out, plus I am a big Perodua fan and they do the same with Toyota/Daihatsu.

The only drawback in my eyes is getting last gen safety, which is worrying, especially if you view the crash tests and can see that the bodyshell is at its absolute limit-see Sandero A-pillars-and another few mph would have meant it was flattened, as opposed to the new 5* stuff where the A pillars are not touched and the windscreen does not even break on many.

Personally, Dacia puts me in a quandary as I like their style, models, warranty options and pricing, but I really do hate Renault (from bitter experience, last new Renault in 2013) and I could not justify downgrading to a lower NCAP rating.

I really wish Perodua UK had been done by someone else as the UK operation was so plss-poor, it failed, when the Myvi was a really decent car and should have outsold the Sandero given that they sold at around £6250 new, with the outstanding 86bhp 1298cc chain driven Yaris engine, standard metallic paint, standard air-con, 5 doors, LED lights, excellent Clarion unique fit stereo, 4 electric windows, remote locking and was based on the Toyota Passo, a decent car itself.  They came with 3 year warranty and 2 year breakdown too.

The base Dacia Sandero in comparison was a similar size inside, but had black bumpers, was offered in white paint only with the 75bhp engine, no stereo/ew/air-con etc but had a slightly bigger boot and similar crash test results-at £5999.

Anyone with any sense could have made the Myvi a big seller, giving how Dacia have done, but no-they had no strategy and made no effort.  A huge waste.  Grrrr.

Just goes to show cars can be built cheap but maybe not as luxurious as othera

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Anyone spotted the huge similarity in the front end appearance of:

Dacia Sandero (higher spec with the chrome grille inserts) and the new shape VW Tiguan

or the Stepway and the VW Amarok pick-up?

I can't tell them apart from a distance if coming towards me.

Daft thing is that these Dacia styles were first out, not VW....

Being on one of the original "Expressions of interest" lists, I just got a Knockhill invite.

The speel goes as follows:-  " We really hope you can join members of the Scottish McDacia clan, and take this opportunity to get out in a Dacia on a lap of the track" .

But London to Fife is just . .just . .  just a tiny bit too far to travel, even to visit an ancestral home.

N