DSG7 -

Hi,

I'm considering buying an Octavia3 TSi140 with a DSG7 (brand new, not used). I find the fiddling with the ancient design manual gearbox more and more mundane...

But, I have heard a lot of bad things about the DSG7. So, has VAG solved the problems by now? Does it deserve the bad reputation, or do you think it's a good buy by now?

It's fairly well documented that the 7 speed had some problems but I'm pretty sure they're all sorted so you should be fine if you're buying new.

I think the 7 will be ok but if you are unlucky failure outside the warranty period could be pricey to fix. If you are buying new and you intend to keep the car for more than 3 years then the optional manufacturers +2 years warranty may be the way forward. But you have to buy that warranty at time of ordering the vehicle - you cannot buy it afterwards.

I've had no issues with the 7 on my 1.4 TSI.

+1 No issues with my 1.4TSi with DSG & just a year old. I did add the extended warranty just in case. My previous Octy2 was same spec & no problems with that either in 3+ years.

• Like 1

I had concerns when I purchased my Superb (6 Speed DSG) in March this year (delivered end June)... One thing to remember is that Forums are were people with issue's come to ask for help, not just here, any forum for any car.. you never hear about the 1000's that never have issues :) 

I will say after 1900 miles I am so far 100% happy, smooth and relaxed to drive.. 

I did not go out to buy a DSG, it was just that the model I chose is only available with the 6 Speed DSG :) For piece of mind I paid for the extra 2 years warranty, but as a rule keep my cars about 4 years so I know I am covered if needed.

Had the 7 speed DSG on the previous 1.2tsi Fabia in 2011 and 34k miles later, absolutely no problems. Just traded it in for the Octavia SE Hatch, 1.4tsi 7 speed DSG. 

Note: previous poster mentioned the 6 speed DSG. I believe this has wet clutches compared with the 7 speed that has dry clutches.

My 2014 DSG7 got its clutches replaced at 6500 km. Started making noise when changing from 1st to 2nd. According to the dealer the clutches were worn but it was not a common problem.

Edited by Mardu

If you intend keeping the car more than 3 years then extend the warranty at the time of purchase with the factory 5 year 100k warranty, not the additional Skoda UK or dealer warranty.

Do you have to spec the car with the factory warranty, or can you pay for it at collection time with the dealer?

The clue is in the name - factory.

It is a factory option, so if it isn't on your order when the car is built as an option code you end up with either the SUK or dealer warranty, which are not as comprehensive.

There have been known to be exceptions made and the factory one added at the point of delivery, but only when the dealer has made a mistake as they 'assumed' the factory and SUK warranties were the same. They aren't.

I thought as much, it just seems a little dodgy to me:

"We can guarantee your car will hold together for an extra 2 years IF we're told before we physically put it together..." :D